Official STS Lockpick Thread - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Official STS Lockpick Thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am a recent STS owner and have two questions that may have already been answered. Will this harness work ...
    jmv5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS

Re: Official STS Lockpick Thread

I am a recent STS owner and have two questions that may have already been answered.
    Will this harness work on a 2009 STS with the mute button on the steering wheel?
    Will this lockpick enable entering information on the GPS while driving?
    Thanks!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by jmv5150 View Post
    I am a recent STS owner and have two questions that may have already been answered.
    Will this harness work on a 2009 STS with the mute button on the steering wheel?
    Will this lockpick enable entering information on the GPS while driving?
    Thanks!
    Yes, the Lockpick will unlock DVD/Aux viewing, Phone Dialing, & Nav Input while in motion. Did you read the following post?

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    Correct 2007+ STS units with a mute button will get a harness without the activation switch and no GPS connectors. Dip 5 on the Lockpicks needs to be on for these vehicles only.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Correct... The 2009 would fit the 2007+ category... If it has a mute button you just need the $235 version which activates from the mute button on the steerling wheel.

STScadillac99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8 -silver, loaded -2003 CTS, pearl white (wifes)

heya Tomm, havent been on the site in awhile..i believe i was one of the first guys to get the lockpick waaay back when ya first started selling them for my 2005 STS.. anyways, i had to remove the unit at one point and when i did i broke the solder on the little relay...was hoping i could send it back to ya for a repair.. i would pay all shipping and whatever fee you needed to fix it..all i need to know is where do i send it?
    thanks
    Johnny

TOMM, can you PM me response when you can..thanks..
    Johnny

PM Sent, Yours was one of the earlier versions and I think yours even had a different harness. Send it back and we will fix it up for you. Dont send the lockpick.. Just send the harness.

trackbait is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS - Grey/Black Northstar NAV

Just want to say kudo's and a big HI-FIVE to Tom for working to resolve an installation on my 2008 STS lockpick.

Had a few glitches here and there, but finally, nailed it! Went with modified harness, that way, to quote him "no if's ands or but's about it...the modified will work on ANY STS regardless of the year".

Actually I rather like the modified one better. No guess work on pushing mute button 4 times - seems confusing. Just flip a switch OF or OFF. Hard to get any easier than that.

I use the manual version in my STS daily and it works well. A few folks asked where to mount the switch... What I have done is just mounted the lockpick to the right of the nav and just ran the switch down and stuck it where the carpet meets the console bottom.. See attached.

Doing it this way there is no mounting and it will stay right there. If I bring the car to the dealer and I dont want them to see it I just slide the switch back up behind the console.

Attachment 50768

horta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Tomm

I tried PM but you box was full.

Hello, just to start off thank you once again for you great help in this forum. I purchased a lockpick from you about a year or so ago. It had worked perfectly and wish to thank you for that.

Well about two months or two ago I started up the car and the Nav screen did not come nor any sound. The white lights around the volume and tune knob come on but that’s it. No function what so ever, you cannot even eject the Nav DVD. Well after a quick drive the next time I started the car up all worked like normal.

About month ago same thing, but this time it took several drive "errands" and then everything came back on like normal... Well unfortunately last weekend it all shut down again and has not come back on.

All this time I was sure it was the Nav unit and not the lockpic, (I had never read of a failure) so I knew I had to take it into the dealer but first I need to remove the lockpick. I removed it as easy as I installed it but as I was connecting the factory cables and put in the grey cable the whole system powered right up...? So I finished the install back to factory and drove it for a week. Everything works just like stock. So today I went to the garage and attempted to re-install the lockpick...

I had FM radio playing and notice the stereo kept playing and screen stayed lit as I removed all the connecters until I get to the grey one then it all shuts down. So I figured this will be an easy test if I can get FM and power up the screen so I installed the grey connector first but no luck. Something has gone bad in my lock pick...

I have not opened up the black box. Before I did anything I wanted to check with you. I did check the 5amp fuse and it looks to be fine..

So any advice will be appreciated. Again I do understand this is not a product covered by a warranty so no worries there. If you feel I need to send it back for you to test I will and won’t mind paying for your time.

Thank you again
    Jerry Horta
    Hortaja@bellsouth.net
    (954)214-6104

Jerry, The Nav screen not starting up is a common issue with the STS Navigation system and not necessarily the lockpick. This happened twice to my STS before I even installed the lockpick. I called the dealer to make an appointment for it and they told me its a common problem and if I disconnect the battery terminal wait 60 seconds when I connect it all would start back up. Sure enough it did.

Essentially when you disconnected the lockpick and reconnected the power cords you essentially did the same thing but you did it the hard way with disconnecting the power from the back of the Navigation unit instead of just disconnecting the power from the battery.

When re-installing the lockpick power needs to be completely off, By connecting the lockpick with the power on it will not get the needed GM lan bus commands and the navigation system will not boot properly.

If you re-install with the power off I would bet almost anything that everything will go back to working normal. You just needed to disconnect the battery terminal and leave everything installed for it to reinitialize properly.

horta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Tomm

Thank you so much. Yesturday I reinstalled it and it is working perfectly...

Thanks again for such an excellent product.

Jerry

jimd05sts4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 sts 4

hello tomm. i am having the same prob with my 05. i took the unit out for a trip to the dealer for a speaker prob. put it back and it didnt seem to work. Im going to try what was stated above. if that dont work as we spoke on the phone, can i pay to have it repaired or looked at. i really miss my options. thanks tomm you are the best.

ssstealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS

I used the power port as a switch location... easily hidden but easily accessed.

heya TOMM..
    i sent my damagaged harness back to you. did you receive it?
    let me know cost to repair.
    thanks,
    Johnny

cramer619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sts

what does this lockpick do?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.