Cadillac Owners Forum banner
157K views 577 replies 134 participants last post by  pongta 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I and some of my employees have been getting tons of questions on lockpicks and their functionality and installation instructions. My business specializes in selling radar detectors and my employee's are not trained on anything that is not related to radar detectors. When phones are busy a customer service rep or even someone who handles inventory may pick up the phone or receive online support requests for lockpicks and they have no idea how they work or how they are installed.

The modified STS Lockpicks are sold as a courtesy to the members of this forum. We do not advertise the product nor if you visited our website would find it anywhere on our site and there is a reason for this. Lockpicks are not our business.

We do have a special link for ordering on our site which links from this site so that members of this forum have an easy way to order one if they want one. We do not ship these units with instructions since all the information needed on lockpicks are already in threads here.

Here is a recap of the needed information:

For Modified Lockpicks (All 2005, All 2006 & All 2007, 2008, 2009 STS units that do not have a mute button)

1. All Dip Switches should be OFF (We also ship them in this position with all modified units)
2. Besides connecting the 2 connectors from the back of the navigation unit you will also need to connect a GPS antenna wire.
3. Activation of the unit is not triggered by the mute button but rather the switch that is included with the unit.

Below you will see a picture of the harness which will help you understand what I am referring to. Please take care when running the wires and please try to be gentle with the 1" x 1" box that holds the relay circuitry on the harness. If you pull are the wires you can damage the unit.

If you want to replace the switch with a different type of switch just clip the switch off and add whatever type of switch you want.

The price on the lockpick units will be as follows.. Same as we have sold them in the past.

2007-2008 STS Units w/Mute Button on Steering Wheel $235
2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button $299
2007 STS units without mute button $299

Ordering link: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm

We have produced over 100 units for members here and I am sure the members that purchased these units and installed the units and use them in their vehicles can help with any questions that you have. Please keep the discussion and support here and not with my employees that have no idea how the product works.

As a recap... All 2005-2006 STS units will require a manual activation switch to activate the system it does not matter if you have a mute button or not on the steering wheel.

Only 2007-2008+ STS units w/ a mute button on the steering wheel do not need the manual switch.

Here is a link to download the coastal installation video:

http://www.coastaletech.com/media/STS INSTALL AND DEMO.zip

The video shows installation in a 2008 STS which has a mute button.

Installation is relatively the same in all STS's with the following exception.

All Modified units need all DIP Switches OFF
All Modified units also have GPS connectors to place inline with the GPS Wire on the back of the navigation unit
All Modifed units are not activated with the mute button, They are activated with the manual switch which is included in the harness.

See less See more
Reactions: CapnCurt
#407 ·
As I mentioned in our PM Discussion I would swap it for another one but I would bet you still have the same issue. Lockpicks really only filter the GM Lan Data going to the navigation system so I cant see why it could be causing your issue.

On a different note I am going on a much needed vacation, Been up all night and its 2:57A and the alarm is set for 3:30A since I have to be out of here at 4AM to catch a flight leaving at 7AM. I did an all nighter to make sure all Modified Lockpicks would ship today and not wait till I got back to complete them. At this point there are no longer any backorders on the 2005-2007 STS Lockpicks.

#409 ·
Part of the operation of the lockpick is to interrupt the GPS signal when activated. You will need to deactivate the lockpick for normal operation.

#413 ·
This is correct and it happens all the time to me. It can take some time to re-calibrate you back on the map once the GPS signal can pick up 3 satellites which is required to pinpoint you back on the map. The Navigation system uses VSS to move you along on the MAP, which is why if you go in a tunnel you will keep moving even though there is no GPS signal.

----------

i just ordered mine so your saying no more after mine????
Yes, I am done with making them. They take too much of my time and I am too busy with my real business to spend time making these anymore.

----------

When I use the button to deactivate it gps still no signal and everthing is still unlocked
Depending on your view of the sky it can take some time to reacquire a GPS Signal. Also activation button is a push button, In the on position the butten stays slightly depressed and fully out when in the off position.

#417 ·
As I suggested in the other thread, I don't believe this is directly related to the Lockpick. I've installed two.

However, I do believe you've got an issue. Please explain the specifics. When you go into the Bluetooth setup, is the info for your phone underlined? If not, your phone is not set as default.

Tell us more. It all works. These are great cars!

(Except for VR - To make that work, you might have to become a martian.)

#419 ·
You can use the Auxillary Input jacks in the armrest for audio and optionally video. The video will cut out when moving unless you engage your Lockpick. You may need to purchase the proper cable to connect your device to RCA jacks (line level). Some members have found reason to add line amps and/or isolators to reduce noise.

Just press the Aux hard key and the Video soft key on the screen.

I'm not familiar with the new-style Lockpick. If it has RCA jacks, I don't know what they are about; programming/diagnosis perhaps.

#420 ·
What is listed above is correct. The Inputs on the lockpick are not applicable for the STS since there is no factory rear camera option. The locklick can work on several different vehicles with different harnesses.

#421 ·
Does anyone know if this type of connection was looked into?
While it doesn't unlock nav features while driving it does provide backup camera option and alternate video source options.
The DTS can do it apparently.

http://s207945621.onlinehome.us/manuals/manual_NAVRGB+GMIRC1.pdf

Pages 14-16 are GM related, looks like they are highjacking the display directly by connecting to the ribbon cable going to the monitor.

#422 ·
Correct

I was only recently made aware of it via the srx forum

Does go inline between the screen and mother boards ribon cable

Dads nav keeps losing time and going back to defaults all it saves is his presets so I have a used nav on the way and will have his old to play with but they do not offer anything for the sts.

#424 ·
Getting to the ribbon cables sure looks complicated and could lead to buying a new nav unit. splicing ribbon cables. Installed the NU-STS lockpick and spent a LOT of time frustrated since it doesn't unlock video in reverse, though it did unlock nav and more importantly the phonebook (could see locking the keypad, but the phonebook lock is stupid). Finally decided to put a small folding screen which sits in the instrument cluster. Can search ebay for "Portable 3.5 inch TFT-LCD Color REAR VIEW Backup Car Monitor FOLDED" - works find since I only want it in parking lots or similar situations. The hook up is not that hard if you want more info.

#427 ·
I hope that I am not being redundant here, and sincerely apologize if I am. Through my combing of the thread, and my view of the link to the posted lockpick product page, I am under the impression that 2006 STS lockpicks are no longer being produced. I understand that it is time consuming especially considering the limited nature of the market. However, I was wondering if there was a planned round of production in the future, or, if there is any modification that can be done to the lockpicks for the later model STS that can make it work with a 2006?

Again, very sorry if this is redundant, I did go through the thread, but I could not find an answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.