Cadillac Owners Forum banner
157K views 577 replies 134 participants last post by  pongta 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I and some of my employees have been getting tons of questions on lockpicks and their functionality and installation instructions. My business specializes in selling radar detectors and my employee's are not trained on anything that is not related to radar detectors. When phones are busy a customer service rep or even someone who handles inventory may pick up the phone or receive online support requests for lockpicks and they have no idea how they work or how they are installed.

The modified STS Lockpicks are sold as a courtesy to the members of this forum. We do not advertise the product nor if you visited our website would find it anywhere on our site and there is a reason for this. Lockpicks are not our business.

We do have a special link for ordering on our site which links from this site so that members of this forum have an easy way to order one if they want one. We do not ship these units with instructions since all the information needed on lockpicks are already in threads here.

Here is a recap of the needed information:

For Modified Lockpicks (All 2005, All 2006 & All 2007, 2008, 2009 STS units that do not have a mute button)

1. All Dip Switches should be OFF (We also ship them in this position with all modified units)
2. Besides connecting the 2 connectors from the back of the navigation unit you will also need to connect a GPS antenna wire.
3. Activation of the unit is not triggered by the mute button but rather the switch that is included with the unit.

Below you will see a picture of the harness which will help you understand what I am referring to. Please take care when running the wires and please try to be gentle with the 1" x 1" box that holds the relay circuitry on the harness. If you pull are the wires you can damage the unit.

If you want to replace the switch with a different type of switch just clip the switch off and add whatever type of switch you want.

The price on the lockpick units will be as follows.. Same as we have sold them in the past.

2007-2008 STS Units w/Mute Button on Steering Wheel $235
2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button $299
2007 STS units without mute button $299

Ordering link: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm

We have produced over 100 units for members here and I am sure the members that purchased these units and installed the units and use them in their vehicles can help with any questions that you have. Please keep the discussion and support here and not with my employees that have no idea how the product works.

As a recap... All 2005-2006 STS units will require a manual activation switch to activate the system it does not matter if you have a mute button or not on the steering wheel.

Only 2007-2008+ STS units w/ a mute button on the steering wheel do not need the manual switch.

Here is a link to download the coastal installation video:

http://www.coastaletech.com/media/STS INSTALL AND DEMO.zip

The video shows installation in a 2008 STS which has a mute button.

Installation is relatively the same in all STS's with the following exception.

All Modified units need all DIP Switches OFF
All Modified units also have GPS connectors to place inline with the GPS Wire on the back of the navigation unit
All Modifed units are not activated with the mute button, They are activated with the manual switch which is included in the harness.

See less See more
Reactions: CapnCurt
#341 ·
Since I also have an uPAC-STS, my most difficult step was to position all the wiring & connectors while refitting the Nav. I finally used a lightweight string looped through the harness & dash. Once the Nav was reinstalled, a couple yanks and the string was removed.

#342 ·
Tomm, I bought one of your lock picks for my 2005 STS and it worked great. I now have a 2007 STS-V and want to get one for it. I know you have said several times that the 2007s need the modified pick. I do have the mute and source buttons on my wheel and just wanted to check that I still need the modified pick before placing my order.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Steering wheel

Thanks for making a great product.

#344 ·
Tomm, I bought one of your lock picks for my 2005 STS and it worked great. I now have a 2007 STS-V and want to get one for it. I know you have said several times that the 2007s need the modified pick. I do have the mute and source buttons on my wheel and just wanted to check that I still need the modified pick before placing my order.

View attachment 99231

Thanks for making a great product.
You would still need the 2007 version.

The wheel where you would not need the modified version looks like this: 2008+

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Steering wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Luxury vehicle

This post has been deleted
#345 ·
Sorry for the late response. Being in NJ we were hit with the Hurricane and we have been without power for a week. Yes, Even with the mute button on the 2007's you still need the modified Lockpick. Only the newer Style 2008+ with the new Steering wheel's do not need the modified units.

#348 ·
Hurricane was not nice to us or members of my wifes family. 2 Houses in the family were flooded to the 2nd Floor and one home was flooded and knocked off the foundation and will have to be knocked down. My home had numerous tree's down and power was out for a week. Yesterday we had a foot of snow to make things worse and I had 2 more tree's go down in my driveway missing the cars and power is back out. Have a generator running and using my phone for internet since cable, internet & phone lines are down. Nothing we can do except hope for the best and keep moving forward. I actually have 2 Lockpicks to build and hope the power is back up for the weekend so I can clear out these backordered units.

#352 ·
Scotty, Your unit has been built over the past weekend but I am having trouble finding the time to test it. Since Black Friday --> Cyber Monday our main business jumped over 5x our normal shipment loads and I have been working 8AM to almost Midnight to get everyone's orders processed. As soon as business returns to normal I will get the unit installed in my STS and tested. Sorry for the delay.

For everyone else we will not accept any new Modified STS Lockpicks until after the Holidays and we will start back up with them in January.

#356 ·
Yes, Your 06 Lockpick will work in your 08 perfectly.

#358 ·
Tomm I have the 2008 sts nav do you have a good lockpik for this car?

----------

Sorry Im not sure how to use this forum. I found tomms link to the lickpick but I still have a couple questions about functions & hook up. I have installed a nav in a non nav sts. Installed unit installed gps antenna, installed latest 2013 map disc. all seem to work fine. of course no call functions but thats ok. I do not have the final plug in my unit as the car does not come equipted with it. How will this affect my lickpick install? Any help would be great.

----------

Sorry thats a 2008 STS Base

#359 ·
For a 2008 you should only need the $199.95 unmodified unit. You do have the newer style steering wheel correct? Lockpick will operate normally and features you do not have in park now like your call functions will still not operate.

#360 ·
Thanks for the reply Thats what i thought. I have also been getting a lot of no gps signal. It comes & goes for a week now since install. After some research I foun things saying not to tint rear window & possible thins on back deck blocking signal. Im not sure how this matters as my gps antenna is in the front dash. Do you have any info on this?

#361 ·
Loosing GPS signal is normal as long as you have VSS connected you should stay on route. Did you mount antenna in the factory location?

#362 ·
Im not sure where the factory location is but I removed the center speaker on the dash. It is mounted under the mesh grill. Not sure what the vss is?

----------

I have read some things on forum about always facing east. Mine is not when I have gps signal all works perfect. But when the gps symbol with a red line through it comes on the map freezes until it goes away then it starts working again. It happens alot.

#365 ·
Mine is not when I have gps signal all works perfect. But when the gps symbol with a red line through it comes on the map freezes until it goes away then it starts working again. It happens alot.
Mine shows that probably 60% of the time I drive, it's really really annoying. It's done it before getting the lockpick and it actually shows less often after I tinted the car with a metallic tint. my 02 only showed that when I was in the garage.

#366 ·
Yes I dont know if I have my gps antenna in a bad spot but I thought it was good. The wire on the gps antenna is short so I dont see to many options for it. Not sure if the metal mesh grill of the dash speaker is affecting it or maybe the fact i left the speaker below the antenna & the magnet is affecting it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.