STS Cabin Air Filter Change - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Cabin Air Filter Change in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It helps if you follow the instructions in the factory service manual. It's a five minute job, at the most....
    dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: STS Cabin Air Filter Change

It helps if you follow the instructions in the factory service manual. It's a five minute job, at the most.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

KRSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    It helps if you follow the instructions in the factory service manual. It's a five minute job, at the most.
    I would like to time you LOL

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

I wonder what Andy really feels WRT the newest American cars!

But as one who currently owns a 1968, 1996, 2008 & 2009 Cadillacs and used to own 1969, 1970, 1973, 1995, 2000, & 2005 Cadillacs (& a 1966 Lincoln), I can sense some of his frustration. The 68, 69, 70, & 73 were much easier to work on, and even the 59 & 96 (both Fleetwoods) were not so bad. The 2000 (Eldorado) was a service nightmare, and while the 05, 08 & 09 are RWD (or AWD) the plethora of electronics and emission control jibberish in the engine compartment makes it a very daunting task to even locate something like the PCV valve or change the spark plugs.

On the other hand these newest ones have a a host of creature comforts, they handle better, have excellent driver aids & better stereos, have more real Net power (maybe my 1968 overhauled 472 might have something to say about that!) AND they get better fuel economy.

You'll notice that with the exception if the 1973 (my first cadillac when i was still in HS, and didn't know as much) I don't own anything from 1971 thru 1994 (although I'd buy a 1992 Brougham d'Elegance with the 5.7 if i could find one! ).

----------

Binky, where the hell do we get the service manuals for these cars (and the 2008 & later CTS)?? I have them for all my older Cadillacs, but not these two recent acquisitions.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    I wonder what Andy really feels WRT the newest American cars!

But as one who currently owns a 1968, 1996, 2008 & 2009 Cadillacs and used to own 1969, 1970, 1973, 1995, 2000, & 2005 Cadillacs (& a 1966 Lincoln), I can sense some of his frustration. The 68, 69, 70, & 73 were much easier to work on, and even the 59 & 96 (both Fleetwoods) were not so bad. The 2000 (Eldorado) was a service nightmare, and while the 05, 08 & 09 are RWD (or AWD) the plethora of electronics and emission control jibberish in the engine compartment makes it a very daunting task to even locate something like the PCV valve or change the spark plugs.

On the other hand these newest ones have a a host of creature comforts, they handle better, have excellent driver aids & better stereos, have more real Net power (maybe my 1968 overhauled 472 might have something to say about that!) AND they get better fuel economy.

You'll notice that with the exception if the 1973 (my first cadillac when i was still in HS, and didn't know as much) I don't own anything from 1971 thru 1994 (although I'd buy a 1992 Brougham d'Elegance with the 5.7 if i could find one! ).

----------

Binky, where the hell do we get the service manuals for these cars (and the 2008 & later CTS)?? I have them for all my older Cadillacs, but not these two recent acquisitions.
    www.helminc.com

----------

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    I would like to time you LOL
    The first step is to pull the hood strut off and prop the hood straight up. I use an old broom handle. Using a DeWalt screwdriver you pull out the three screws holding the inlet screen. You work the latches and pull out the old filter. You replace the old filter with the new filter and reset the latches. Because the hood is out of the way it's duck soup. Replace the screen and the three screws. Remove the broom handle and push the hood strut back on the stud.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

That was my theory on making it easier too...getting the hood out of the way. I had not actually tried it yet, so thanks for confirming it!

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

Well I finally found the filter. The mistake I made was I thought that after the inlet grill was removed the filter would be exposed. It's not. There is that plastic cover that snaps off. Pulled it out, cleaned it up and put it back. I only have 27,000 on the car so it was still pretty clean. Koz is correct. 5 minute job. No broom handles needed either. The hardest part is reaching for the end screw.

LewisR is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: STS Cabin Air Filter Change

I let mine sit a bit longer than I wanted, and let it slide by a couple oil changes back (the original filter). Now, at 82K, my '09 was in pretty dire need of this. The car went in to the dealer for service (SHIFT TO PARK issue), and the dealer changed the shifter and the battery (which drained once at a garage with the dumb SHIFT TO PARK message beeping all day), and warned me that the engine air filter was dirty as was the cabin filter. While all of the warranty work was covered, they quoted me $79 for the engine air filter and $119 for the cabin filter... LOL! On Amazon, I got the cabin filter (AC Delco CF133) for $25.80 and the engine element (AC Delco A2944C) for $21.85. With Amazon Prime, I had no shipping, either. First time out for the cabin filter, as I say, and at 82K it was pretty nasty. To change both took me 15-20 minutes, and the biggest delay was figuring out that the cabin filter was so flexible. I agree that working on my '68 de Ville convertible is in general a good deal easier (and all of the parts, I think, are made in the USA, like my '63 Bonneville convert), but then, neither the '68 de Ville nor the '63 Bonneville has a cabin air filter, so it's kind of hard to compare that particular component replacement. The air cleaner, of course, is a much bigger pain on *all* of the newer cars, but surely nothing requiring an engineering degree. Thanks to the original poster for the excellent photo of the cabin filter location; that was worth a thousand words. Cheers, all.

Hoosier24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS

Just want to say thanks for this post. I would never found it without the pix.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.