Normal Battery Voltage at different states - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Normal Battery Voltage at different states in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; pgw85706: What you're seeing for voltage readings is normal. When first started, the alternator is putting out a lot of ...
    AllWheelEric is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG

Re: Normal Battery Voltage at different states

pgw85706: What you're seeing for voltage readings is normal. When first started, the alternator is putting out a lot of amps at a high voltage by design. As the battery gets recharged, the amperage and voltage drops. In colder weather, it seems the voltage may hit 15 but tops out closer to 14 in hot weather. I suspect this is by design because a cold battery can absorb a charge faster.

If you're due for a battery soon, you may as well replace it before throwing money at other diagnostics. Just a hunch, though, it seems like you've got an electric gremlin that intends to feed on money.

Maybe someone whose battery has gone dead can tell us if the car explains that with a message or if you just get no starter action. I can't recall from the one time it happened to me what (if anything) was shown on the DIC.

pgw85706 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '05 STS V6

Quote Originally Posted by AllWheelEric View Post
    If you're due for a battery soon, you may as well replace it before throwing money at other diagnostics. Just a hunch, though, it seems like you've got an electric gremlin that intends to feed on money.

Maybe someone whose battery has gone dead can tell us if the car explains that with a message or if you just get no starter action. I can't recall from the one time it happened to me what (if anything) was shown on the DIC.
    I am not convinced it is due for a battery based on the "good health" report from the AAP diagnostics. In the "won't crank" situation, I get no message on the DIC. Thanks for the reply.

I_OWN_IT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 sts

I was having the same issue with mine. I had my headlights on for 5 mins and the battery would go dead, or if my dome lights was on just for a min. It actually made my car have long starts as well. It would turn over but would take a while to start. When it was running it sayed 13.4and would gradually get up to 14.2-14.4 volts. I went ahead and went with the Optima battery. Very good buy, those batteries are awsome! But insanely priced. U pay for what u get.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I recently spend an afternoon puttering around and cleaning the interior of my car. I know I wore the battery down. A jump from a booster pack was plenty to start it. Before that... not even a click when I hit the start button.

I'm convinced my 1SG with every option except the block-heater (Koz has me beat!) checks the battery and if it's marginal --- it won't even try to start. Slow cranking and high current draw from a dying battery could make smoke leak out of those expensive computers. GM's designers know how hard it is to pack that smoke into those electronics!

BJD210 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8

I refuse to pay $200 for a stock battery so I decided I was going to pick the battery I wanted and force it to fit. The battery tray is fairly easy to modify if you have a decent understanding and tools for light fabrication. It cost me just over $200 and a couple hours of work but it has twice the cranking amperage of a yellow top Optima.

Bigger is always Better!

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

Hey guys sorry to bring up an old thread but I had my battery replaced 3 weeks ago at the dealer under warranty (4 year old battery out of my 09) and everything has been fine. Today I was driving and I noticed the battery voltage was 12.8V and asometimes 12.9V but for the whole ride I was looking at it and it did not change. I remember looking at it the other day and it said 13.7V or something higher like that. 12.8V sound low to anybody else? I'll check it again later to see if it has changed.

Thanks

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

...dropping down to 12.8 or 12.9 volts is pretty normal...has something to do with the "Electrical Power Management (EPM)"...have a look here...:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3244608

...and especially here... Post #6 :
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ng-13-0-a.html

B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd
    I thought it was a problem to at first but I realized that's just the way it is. anything under 12, then you should worry

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

^thanks a lot man, gues so!

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacV8 View Post
    ...dropping down to 12.8 or 12.9 volts is pretty normal...has something to do with the "Electrical Power Management (EPM)"...have a look here...:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3244608

...and especially here... Post #6 :
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ng-13-0-a.html
    wow that post #6 was something else. after researching further I looked at the current sensor and thought that we cool. it also would notify me which I figured all along. pretty cool I wish I had like a block diagram for all that stuff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.