Ashtray wont open.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Ashtray wont open. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My ashtray will not open. When I got the car it opened fine, but now when you press, it will ...
    ifmracin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 STS 1SF

Ashtray wont open.

My ashtray will not open.
    When I got the car it opened fine, but now when you press, it will move in like it should, but will not come out.

I was in there today installing my lockpick, so I decided to take it out to see what I could find, and with it out I am still unable to get it open.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Ashtray wont open.

Once you drop all those quarters and nickles behind it you're in deep stew.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

^^ Very helpful.

I assume you mean front ashtray. Mine is doing the same thing right now, RIGHT after being replaced under warranty. According to the dealership your ashtray "isn't aligned properly", well I have a few choice words in my head about that but I won't voice them.

If you are looking for a temporary solution, take the palm of your hand and smack the passenger side of the center console beside the ashtray. Don't be a wimp either, wind up and crank it, the plastic is storng it will take the force. The bang from your hand will jitter the ashtry and next time you push it to open it will open properly.

I haven't found a perfect solution yet as it has been -25 the last couple of days but according to the dealer if the trim comes off, make sure the ashtray is installed properly, all screws and clips are installed correctly and the ashtray works fine by itself outside the casing. The ashtray uses a bent piece of metal to help release the ashtray from the closed position. Both of mine were completely 180 from how they should be and causing jamming. There is also a set of gears on my rear ashtray *didn't look ont he front* which if some gunk gets stuck in there I could see jamming the ashtray right up. If you have it all apart, give the moving parts some spray on white silicone lube and that should help you out quite a bit.

This weekend will be warm and I am going to try and get my car into the dealer tomorrow for its final warranty work (warranty long expired now but open file so parts keep coming in). Then after that I will pull everything apart that is broken, including my frotn and rear ashtrays, and give you some more feedback if none of the above worked.

Well, I have already taken it out, and it still will not open.
    The gears are fine.
    There is a little 'thing' that follows a path that allows the tray to latch and to open, i'm not sure if this is what the issue is, as I don't have anything to compare it to.

Oh, and I don't plan on bashing on my wood dash.

Not bashing your wood dash, didn't listen did you? Basically a FIRM love tap on the PLASTIC on the SIDE of the center console BESIDE the ashtray. Nothing to do with your wood trim that will break when you smash it.

Gotcha.

But, it's still not going to help in my case. It's not just 'misaligned' or not quite releasing. It will not let go. I tried all kinds of crap once I had it out, no go.

Thanks for the ideas, let's keep them coming.

If I have to, I can live without it working (i don't smoke, and it's not a big deal), but I would rather it worked, obviously.
    And I would rather not have to buy a replacement, I looked them up on gmpartsdirect, not cheap and that didn't include the wood trim for it.

Wierd. Yes they are a rip off. Thank god I am trying to quit smoking, going to get this thing working fine and clean it up because its the seocnd ashtray in 4 months that has failed on me.

When I get mine apart I will take some pictures and try some new things.

illinois cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have had the same problem. Sometimes it is stuck shut. Once I get it open it will not stay shut when closed.

coati is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had the same problem too.
    In my case, I used to fold cash and put it in the ashtray for toll.
    The dealership said it was the cash that got in the way and prevented the ashtray door from opening.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Earlier ashtrays are even more susceptible to this kind of trouble. 2007's introduced a metal cover over half the tray insert. I think they're still problematic when used for things other than ashes.

Amazingly mine is empty, and spotless, I don't think the previous owner used it either.

Force-1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac STS

Mine did the same thing, and I had it repaired under warranty. I noted they changed the metal liner, making it virtually useless--couldn't get my fingers in it. So, I asked for the old liner back, and my service rep gave it to me.

lreddiablo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mine is hardly ever opend, and got the same BS problem with it, a design flaw I guess

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

LOL, Cadillac still hasn't figured this ash tray thing out. The 92 STS sometimes won't close or won't open and requires force or finesse depending on what the issue is.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    LOL, Cadillac still hasn't figured this ash tray thing out. The 92 STS sometimes won't close or won't open and requires force or finesse depending on what the issue is.
    ^so true, the ashtray in my Brougham rattles when you punch the gas and have the engine wound up to a high rpm.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.