Ashtray wont open. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Ashtray wont open. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Both the front and rear ash trays in mine are jammed! The front got jammed by the port lid and ...
    Mullah88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6L (BLU); 1998 Seville STS (Delilah)
    Both the front and rear ash trays in mine are jammed! The front got jammed by the port lid and the back has been stuck ever since I bought the car

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Ashtray wont open.

"Sucks to be you!"

Sorry, M. I couldn't resist that line from a former co-worker!

The punch from the right has ALWAYS worked for me. (Didn't I post in this thread a while ago?)

----------

See post #25

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Mullah88, I hope you'll keep us updated! If the community's troubleshooting helps you resolve your concern, please let us know. And if you decide to involve the dealer at any point, Customer Service is available to contact them on your behalf. Please email me anytime for further assistance; I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

97Concours1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SG AWD, 1997 Concours Deville (sold)

Ok, this guy's post is the answer to the problem..... I know this is an old thread, but no one has really solved anything here but this guy. I was about to post the same thing he did. Yes, the design of the very very very very little plastic pin that follows the slot is the problem. It is so fragile a slight breeze will snap it off! I have owned two Cadillac's in my life. The first was a 97 Concours and now a 2006 STS. I repaired the one in the Concours way back when and then when I bought this newer STS I couldn't believe that it had the same problem and it was EIGHT years newer! They are probably still using the same design today!! Anyway, what I did (on both cars) is drilled a small hole into the plastic right where the little pin broke off. I drilled it clear through the plastic on one side and into the plastic on the other side (about 1 1/2 inches. I'm going by memory from 3 years ago). Then I found a long metal pin the same size and pushed it into the drilled hole all the way through so it is supported in two places about 1 1/2 inches apart. Then I superglued it in place. The metal pin needs to stick out far enough to follow the slot like the little plastic one did. This has worked great (for both cars) and I have had no fear of it ever breaking again. Getting it replaced with the original will just invite the same problem to happen again. If you are uncomfortable doing this repair, find someone who BUILDS radio control air planes and have them help you. This kind of work is a piece of cake to them... Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by CTBB View Post
    OK, finally went after this thing this past weekend, removing the assembly from the dash. I found that the lighter socket mount has a nice little feature that raises it up for use as the tray slides out, via a little plastic pin that slides in a slot in the side of the housing, lowering it again as the tray slides in. Said pin was snapped off, allowing the lighter mount to drop far enough to block the tray from sliding. After much manipulation I managed to get the entire thing aligned enough to glue the pin back into place with some SuperGlue gel. JB Weld would have been ideal, but the tiny space it fits through would have probably made it impossible to keep from gluing the entire thing into an immovable mess. Allowed to dry overnight, and it works as advertised. Still looking for a used replacement as I have little faith in the repair, and am not willing to pay the price of new. If I'd known it was broken when purchasing the car it would have been taken care of by the dealer, but I was having too much fun discovering all the nice bells and whistles!. Must admit the engineering was clever, but the execution, using said plastic pin, was not. Unless of course you're behind the parts counter collecting $200+ for the replacement.

For those having this problem the door is easily freed using a putty knife slid in under the lighter side of the tray.

Glenn

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.