Ashtray wont open. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Ashtray wont open. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by CTBB OK, regrets to reopen this tired old thread, but this is BUGGIN' me!! Got the ashtray ...
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Ashtray wont open.

Quote Originally Posted by CTBB View Post
    OK, regrets to reopen this tired old thread, but this is BUGGIN' me!! Got the ashtray open after discovering the cig lighter socket had dropped enough to block it's slide. Now that I have it open I find it will not come the rest of the way out so I can remedy the socket drop. It appears previous action may have damaged the mounting and I was hoping to get on with repair, without the dealership's involvement. The manual states to grasp the sides firmly and pull, no release latch etc. Any help?

Glenn
    The drawer cannot be removed short of pulling the surrounding fascia & pulling screws. At least, that's the only way I've found.

Review the Lockpick installation video and you can easily remove the ashtray. The design concept is cool but the execution is much to fussy in the real world.

JackG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): sts

2005..mine is now stuck with a bunch of cash in it

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

I just fixed mine!!!

I took it out because I was replacing the A/C control and there was some change stuck on the bottom of it. I took it out and whola it works so easy now.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

I just bought an 05 last week and the ashtray does not open
    We rolled it into the car deal....so I just need to schedule time at the dealer to have them repair it( and program another key fob)

Question..once thing thing is fixed.....am I going to have problems again...did they update the replacement part to be reliable?

Warren

Dam I need to fix mine... LAC, How did you fix yours??? Pulled everything apart?

Yea I took the whole ashtray out and looked on the bottom of it. there was a bunch of change stuck in the bottom where it slides in and out.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Anyone have a how to on pulling the trim off around the radio to get at the screws for the ashtray? When the dealer had it apart it was easy to fix and clean but now that its back together I can't get the trim off!!

You just pull it off. It is held on by (like most of the interior) by clips that you just have to pop out. Start at the top and work your way around. It does take some force just be careful. I can get it started with my fingers on the top but you may have to use a screw driver to get it started.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Thanks LAC!

Scared to snap it off

kschwed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SC

dont be scared, but dont be jerky with it either. Be careful with it at the bottom, below the ashtray. It's thin down there

Thanks for the advice

CTBB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N* 1SF

OK, finally went after this thing this past weekend, removing the assembly from the dash. I found that the lighter socket mount has a nice little feature that raises it up for use as the tray slides out, via a little plastic pin that slides in a slot in the side of the housing, lowering it again as the tray slides in. Said pin was snapped off, allowing the lighter mount to drop far enough to block the tray from sliding. After much manipulation I managed to get the entire thing aligned enough to glue the pin back into place with some SuperGlue gel. JB Weld would have been ideal, but the tiny space it fits through would have probably made it impossible to keep from gluing the entire thing into an immovable mess. Allowed to dry overnight, and it works as advertised. Still looking for a used replacement as I have little faith in the repair, and am not willing to pay the price of new. If I'd known it was broken when purchasing the car it would have been taken care of by the dealer, but I was having too much fun discovering all the nice bells and whistles!. Must admit the engineering was clever, but the execution, using said plastic pin, was not. Unless of course you're behind the parts counter collecting $200+ for the replacement.

For those having this problem the door is easily freed using a putty knife slid in under the lighter side of the tray.

Glenn

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

Mine got stuck when I stupidly jammed a buncha crap in it, here's what I did....

1. Go to the freezer and get a fudgesicle....
    2. Consume said fudgesicle, and clean off the wooden stick before placing it in your pocket. I suggest left front....
    3. Go outside and get in your STS.....
    4. Press in the ash tray and wedge the popsicle stick in the top part and pry...
    5. Open it and realize you didn't scratch anything and you got to enjoy a fine dessert product.....

I learned my lesson here, the only thing in my ashtray is a small stick of lip balm.....

gmmahieu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

The putty kniofe trick is the boss, tried everything, then found this thread and used the putty knife, worked perfect, thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.