Ashtray wont open. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Ashtray wont open. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Mine also (requires finesse). I keep my registration and insurance card there so I don't go in there too often ...
    C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: Ashtray wont open.

Mine also (requires finesse). I keep my registration and insurance card there so I don't go in there too often (hopefully only when my documents are updated) but I would sure hate to have to get in there and it decides to be difficult.

ahuyghe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 4

I've had this predicament also. I know what my problem was, and this could help. My front ashtry/cointray (if you can call it that because it's pretty well useless for anything) has a metal top on it that seems to cover about half of the opening when you open it. What happened in my case is i went in there to grab out a couple of coins, but i can barely get them out as there is not enough of an opening there to get your fingers in to grab the coins with.
    As i fiddled in there, i inadvertently pushed up the metal cover and didn't notice. When i closed the tray everything seemed fine until the next time i went to use it. It seems that the metal cover hooks up behind the dash causing it to lock up in the closed position. I had to take the car in to the dealership to free it up.
    hope this helps all of you.

Al

ifmracin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 STS 1SF

Thanks.
    I still have the tray out, so I'll give that a shot tonight.

ifmracin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 STS 1SF

Ok, figured it out.
    It's actually the cigarette lighter that is catching on the bottom plastic. For some reason it is dropping too low and catching before it is able to pop up to open.

Now I just need to attach something to keep it from dropping so low and all should be fine.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Quote Originally Posted by ifmracin View Post
    Ok, figured it out.
    It's actually the cigarette lighter that is catching on the bottom plastic. For some reason it is dropping too low and catching before it is able to pop up to open.

Now I just need to attach something to keep it from dropping so low and all should be fine.
    Similar issue to mine. The plastic collar around the cigarette lighter was catching the top of the assembly and sticking so it would not open or close but woudl move 1mm or so each way.

One thing I noticed when my stupid dealer returned my car back to me all pulled apart, the ashtray rests on 2 plastic points (alignment points) then screws in behind those points. There is some area of movement on those plastic alignment pins if your lighter is catching, try popping the fascia off first and adjusting, may fix your issues.

SleeprLegend is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

When you all say ashtray are you talking about the drawer that slides out with the cigarette lighter? Our dealer told us that they do not offer a metal ashtray insert for the felt pocket next to the ashtray. If this is wrong I am going after the dealer. I have been using the windows and sunroof for over 3 years!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My wife's 2007 came with the Smokers Option. My 2006 did not. I swapped my felt lined inserts for her ashtray inserts and other than a few tweaks I'm in business.

The front ashtray can get stuck and require a magic trick to open.

"Magic trick to open"

you sound like the dealer, why don't you share your magic tricks with everyone instead of taunting them?

SleeprLegend is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    My wife's 2007 came with the Smokers Option. My 2006 did not. I swapped my felt lined inserts for her ashtray inserts and other than a few tweaks I'm in business.

The front ashtray can get stuck and require a magic trick to open.
    I bought my car in 2006, and asked the dealer again in 2007 if there was a metal ashtray insert. I'm sending the car back to them with everything fixed and the metal ashtray sitting on the dash. Bastards! I bet my grandmother made them do that because she want's me to quit smoking. You can do stuff like that when you buy 2 Caddies a year from the same dealer for 30 years. They even take their cars in for the service department to change the CDs.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by AllGoNShow View Post
    "Magic trick to open"

you sound like the dealer, why don't you share your magic tricks with everyone instead of taunting them?
    Come on... Use the search...

Every time there's a thread on the topic, I post it again.

OK...
    With Feeling!

Rap the right side of the console by the ashtray. Press the drawer in. If this doesn't work you've got a tough jam.

The full unit can be removed as easily as the Bose/Nav head-end with nearly the same procedure.

Good Luck!

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by SleeprLegend View Post
    I bought my car in 2006, and asked the dealer again in 2007 if there was a metal ashtray insert.
    Metal ashtrays are overated IMO. The three metal ones in my 1991 Brougham are all rusted on the bottom, and nobody has ever smoked in my car.

karenscaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If you are looking for a temporary solution, take the palm of your hand and smack the passenger side of the center console beside the ashtray.

Thank you for the advise! I am new to this site and came across this thread, having the same difficulty. To my amazement, this works everytime for me! I am so glad I found these forums!!! Great advise here...thanks.

mywifekids1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 sts

I mistakenly closed the ashtray before putting down the cigrette lighter which I think jammed up my front ashtray I am going to try to get it open tomorrow I hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by karenscaddy View Post
    If you are looking for a temporary solution, take the palm of your hand and smack the passenger side of the center console beside the ashtray.

Thank you for the advise! I am new to this site and came across this thread, having the same difficulty. To my amazement, this works everytime for me! I am so glad I found these forums!!! Great advise here...thanks.
    I used the same method when my last ashtray was giving me issues, I hate pounding my dash but its the only way it worked.

CTBB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N* 1SF

OK, regrets to reopen this tired old thread, but this is BUGGIN' me!! Got the ashtray open after discovering the cig lighter socket had dropped enough to block it's slide. Now that I have it open I find it will not come the rest of the way out so I can remedy the socket drop. It appears previous action may have damaged the mounting and I was hoping to get on with repair, without the dealership's involvement. The manual states to grasp the sides firmly and pull, no release latch etc. Any help?

Glenn

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.