Wind Noise From Window
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Wind Noise From Window in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have noticed the rear passenger side window/door has a lot of wind noise coming from it. It is not ...
    Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Wind Noise From Window

I have noticed the rear passenger side window/door has a lot of wind noise coming from it. It is not a wind buffeting sound, but just a constant whooshing of air that starts around 55-60 mph. It makes driving on the freeway so irritating as I can hear it out of my right ear the entire time. The rest of the car is considerably quiet, with normal wind noise everywhere else.

I had them replace the weather stripping and they ''re-aligned'' the door, whatever that means, but the sound is still there. I tried today, while my brother drove, to pull and press against the glass, the door, and the framing around the glass to see if it had any effect and it did not.

Has anyone else had this problem and were able to correct it?

I am starting to wonder if this is just a bad design or what. My 2003 CTS is much quieter inside, kind of makes me mad since it cost 30 thousand less ( price of both cars new).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sburgin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

Re: Wind Noise From Window

it's funny you posted this, because I was getting ready to make a post on the same issue - except in my case, it's with the rear driver's side door.

I'm with you, at highway speeds - it's all I hear in my left ear now that I notice it.

dhemrick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about checking your tires? The reason I ask is that I know my rear tires are getting worn (soon to be replaced), and they are starting to make road noise. The noise they make sounds a lot like wind noise around the back doors, and if I didn't know about the tire wear I might think that's what it is.

You may truly be having wind noise, but I would recommend having your tires checked just to be sure. If they rotate the back tires side to side and the noise follows the tire, then you know it's the tire. If it stays the same, you can at least rule out the tires.

Just a though...

Dhemrick, thanks for the advice. The tires should not be a problem, I just got a new set just about 3 weeks ago. The sound is loud enough that my brother was in the front passenger seat and my sister in the rear passenger seat and they both commented that it sounded like a window was open, without me saying anything.

sburgin, have you taken your car to the dealer for this issue? If so what all have they done about it?

I almost feel like getting an entire new door under warranty because of this issue, lol.

jimbohenson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am having the same issue with my drivers door, does not get any more annoying than that. I am under warranty and my service advisor said to bring it back when it warms up and they will look at it. I bought the car used and cant say if it has been damaged or replaced but I suspect that has something to do with it. I will update on this post after I bring it in.

justgreat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

there was a segment on two guys garage dealing with this problem. they had two procedures to locate "leaks" in the weather stripping: one entailed using a smoke machine in the car with the blower on high and the smoke would escape where the w/s wasn't making a tight seal. the second involved taking a dollar bill and placing it op top of the weater stripping where you hear the noise and closing the door. if you can pull the bill out with the door closed, then there's problem with that section...the second procedure is simpler but time consuming.

jackg
    06 sts6

ruf455 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

not that it is any help, but if it is windy out at all and I am traveling at HHY speeds, my drivers door seal whooooooshes away. I can't wait to try and talk the service guys into fixing that one....

pjbizjak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 07 STS w/1SG Pkg

I thought I had a wind leak on my drivers door up by the dash and it turned out to be just the HVAC blowing through the vent.

sburgin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

Haven't had it in yet...waiting for an oil change coming up here in a week or two to have it looked at then. will post back with what they find (i have to confess i'm not getting my hopes up).

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Man View Post
    Dhemrick, thanks for the advice. The tires should not be a problem, I just got a new set just about 3 weeks ago. The sound is loud enough that my brother was in the front passenger seat and my sister in the rear passenger seat and they both commented that it sounded like a window was open, without me saying anything.

sburgin, have you taken your car to the dealer for this issue? If so what all have they done about it?

I almost feel like getting an entire new door under warranty because of this issue, lol.

cadinate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac sts v8

thats funny i came acrossed this post, i was going to call the cadillac dealership for the excact issue! my 05 sts on the back passanger side door sounds like the window is cracked open at highway speeds! the wind noise is definatly noticable! almost wondering if the bose system was put in to cover the issue up let me know if anyone has a difinitave answer, i know the cause of the problems may be diffrent ( though it sounds the same ) but it will give me a place to start. thanks!

Well, as I posted before, I sat in the back seat while my brother drove on the freeway. I tried to push the window and pull the inside of the door around the window to see if I could find the problem area. I could not find anything. Don't know if this would work, but I am going to take electrical tape and tape down random sections of the exterior window/door where body panels meet. This will hopefully help me determine where exactly air is entering.

At the dealership the other day I noticed the 2008 STSs have different weatherstripping on the B pillar post of the rear door. It actually wraps around the edge of the post and you can see it slightly on the outside of the car. I am going to investigate if this is the problem area.

justgreat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

inspect the door seals closely under bright light; look for any uneven spots or bumps. close the door and closely inspect the gap between the door and the bod; checking for proper alignment. also sight along the side of the car from the rear and check for a flush fitting door to the body. and lastly, as i posted previously, use a dollar bill and put it op top of the door seals and close the door: if you can pull out the bill, you have a problem with that section. take some tape mark that spot and move on to check the rest of the door.

pin pointing the noise on any car is half the battle....

jackg
    06 sts6

Well, I tried to seal off all the gaps between the door and the main body of the car with electrical tape as well as where the window meets the door and I did not find any difference at all.

I am kind of stumped considering the wind noise has to be coming from outside and sealing everything would prevent it. I am going to try the dollar bill test next.

bass_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I had wind noise on the drivers door, ended up that the problem was the mirror. Make sure that is not the case.

jamesbalzer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 AWD V8 1SG

Exact same noise in the right rear door of my 05. All the same noises you guys are talking about. Highway speeds only, sounded like the right rear window was cracked open. Dealership replaced the right rear quarter window and seal (as it is apparently an assembly) and fixed it. They even paid to re-tint the new window.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.