Wind Noise From Window - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Wind Noise From Window in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by justgreat and lastly, as i posted previously, use a dollar bill and put it op top of ...
    Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

Re: Wind Noise From Window

Quote Originally Posted by justgreat View Post
    and lastly, as i posted previously, use a dollar bill and put it op top of the door seals and close the door: if you can pull out the bill, you have a problem with that section. take some tape mark that spot and move on to check the rest of the door.

pin pointing the noise on any car is half the battle....

jackg
    06 sts6
    I wanted to add that the dollar bill method is not infallible. I tried it and ALL doors at every point allows a dollar bill to be pulled out reasonably easy.

Trust me, I do NOT have an issue with wind noise everywhere!

I did have a buffeting effect on the driver's door from time to time.

Turned out that the window glass seal (hard rubber) had slipped down about an inch from the inside of the window frame at the top. This resulted in a misalignment to the weatherstripping on the upper door (body) frame.

From the outside of the car, you could actually see where the window frame seal had 'shrunk in and away'. It's very obvious with a white (or light colored) car. Probably not so much with a black car.

I used some weatherstrip adhesive and secured it with zip ties to allow it to dry in place for about an hour.

Now this seal remains in place and the buffeting noise is nearly eliminated.

Severe wind gusts can still create the noise, but I suspect that's unavoidable.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Our friend that drives his STS on the Autobahn had to have his dealer tilt the dorrs in slightly at the top to eliminate his wind noise above 120 MPH.

I haven't seen him post lately. I hope he's well and enjoying his unlimited 1SH model (or whatever).

jamesbalzer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 AWD V8 1SG

My 05 had it too. Right rear door, same symptoms. Dealer replaced quarter window and seal (under warranty!) and solved the issue. Look back through the forum; this has been a common issue for many and most have solved with the same repair.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Our friend that drives his STS on the Autobahn had to have his dealer tilt the dorrs in slightly at the top to eliminate his wind noise above 120 MPH.

I haven't seen him post lately. I hope he's well and enjoying his unlimited 1SH model (or whatever).

Anymore from the door tilt guy? I am interested in this, just changes the angle that the wind hits it at?

No, I think it puts more pressure on the rubber seals at the top front edges. Air behaves in ways you may not expect above 120 MPH.

mike sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

had that noise car de compressed at highway speeds it took several trips to the dealer but they finnaly fixed it. they had to adjust the door so it would close tighter to make proper seal, i bet a good bodyshop would be better at fixing this than the dealer, if you use a delaership maybe try one with their own body shop

^^^^ Same with sunroof issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.