Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Start Button Replacement

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Big Boy 
#1 ·
My 05 is out of warranty and I'm getting some "peeling" on the start button. Has anyone replaced this themselves? I'm a "backyard" mechanic and do what I can myself.

Looks like a sharpie might be the first "fix" and see how that goes.

Have not looked at the dash yet but just wondering if this is a big job or just something easily done with a little patience.

#4 · (Edited)
Just finished replacing the start button on my 2005 STS. The first item to remove is the wood trim from around the radio/nav system because there's two tabs attached to cluster trim panel that go under the wood trim panel. Then pull cluster trim panel towards steering wheel. All this is a little scary if it's your first time because you feel as if one of the pieces, especially the wood trim is going to break. Then push start switch out of trim panel by releasing tabs on one side, not easy to do because I couldn't get to the left tabs holding it in place. Finally the electrical connector can be released by using a screw driver in the top slot in the start button. Install new switch and put everything back like it was before. Anyway that's the way I did it.

#5 ·
I had my switch replaced in late 2008 or early 2009 (splitting/peeling) and I notice it shuts the car off more quickly than the OEM one in my wife's 2007 car. On those occasions when I drive her car, I sometimes need to press and hold the off position to turn off the car. I wonder if this is common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.