Start Button Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Boy
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Start Button Replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 05 is out of warranty and I'm getting some "peeling" on the start button. Has anyone replaced this themselves? ...
    Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Start Button Replacement

My 05 is out of warranty and I'm getting some "peeling" on the start button. Has anyone replaced this themselves? I'm a "backyard" mechanic and do what I can myself.

Looks like a sharpie might be the first "fix" and see how that goes.

Have not looked at the dash yet but just wondering if this is a big job or just something easily done with a little patience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sgilbert is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD

Re: Start Button Replacement

Is is easily removable? (I've got an SRX) Some combination of masking tape & model airplane spray paint?

SwissSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 Cadillac STS AWD Platinum Edition

You have to remove the cluster trim panel by pulling it out towards the steering wheel. Then you can release the tabs holding the start button. Cluster.gif

Big Boy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Just finished replacing the start button on my 2005 STS. The first item to remove is the wood trim from around the radio/nav system because there's two tabs attached to cluster trim panel that go under the wood trim panel. Then pull cluster trim panel towards steering wheel. All this is a little scary if it's your first time because you feel as if one of the pieces, especially the wood trim is going to break. Then push start switch out of trim panel by releasing tabs on one side, not easy to do because I couldn't get to the left tabs holding it in place. Finally the electrical connector can be released by using a screw driver in the top slot in the start button. Install new switch and put everything back like it was before. Anyway that's the way I did it.
    kevcorb likes this.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I had my switch replaced in late 2008 or early 2009 (splitting/peeling) and I notice it shuts the car off more quickly than the OEM one in my wife's 2007 car. On those occasions when I drive her car, I sometimes need to press and hold the off position to turn off the car. I wonder if this is common.

Big Boy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

My replacement switch works just like the old one did, just push and release. ACDelco part number: D1433G / GM part number:25893239

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.