Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Key FOB Matching Procedure

8K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  turnerbend 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the Key FOB (i.e. Transmitter) matching procedure reprograms the FOB or the car?

My wife and I each have STS's. I'd like to add my Primary FOB to her car as its third FOB. But if the matching procedure (in the Owners Manual) reprograms my FOB, I've disabled it for my car.

Conversely, if the matching proceure causes her car to learn my FOB, then I don't have to have her secondary FOB in my pocket just to get into her car.

:hmm:

#2 ·
Interesting question, can one fob work for 2 cars at the same time?
I recently bought a replacement fob and successfully deleated all fobs from the car memory and put the new fob as 2 and the original as 1, I believe it said "all fobs deleated from memory" insinuating from the car's memory, not the key memory. So I vote for the car memory, also I had only the owners manual and was able to successfully reprogram both keys at home. So in worst case if it does not work you should be able to put it back

#4 ·
:noidea:

And the answer is...

The procedure modifies the FOB. I don't see a way to have 1 FOB work with two cars.

I was hesitant to program my Primary FOB as her #3 because, as it proved out, I would have disabled my Primary! Instead, I took my FOB for her car (#2) and matched it to my car as #3. Fine. But it no longer works with her car.

So I have a new question...

Can I delete #2 from her car or do I have to do the whole 30 minute procedure with her car and program them all from scratch?

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
There's more to this story. For S&G's I decided to attempt adding the #2 Fob back to my wife's car as #3. I figured that until I wanted to reprogram from scratch, at least I could use it that way.

Surprisingly, her car still 'remembers' something about that Fob! It won't add it as #3.

After the Nascar Cup race, I'll be attempting the 'reprogram all Fobs' procedure. It's weird, all references I find say to put the 'replacement' Fob in the pocket. I found one post where the member claimed success by skipping step 2 (place replacement/unknown Fob in pocket). I plan to observe the warning to not have any known Fob's within 10 feet.

There's a thread titled 'Seats / Mirrors have a mind of their own!' with some posts on this topic. That is a hijack, so I'll post my results here.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Success - My wife's 2007 1SE is not a brick! Both FOB's work fine. Previously posted procedures (and the Owners Manual) are essentially correct but not perfect. I'm sure I won't be either but here's my attempt:

Matching Transmitters to Your Vehicle

There are three procedures based on your particular situation. Method 1 adds additional Transmitters (FOB's) when you have a known FOB. Method 2 adds FOB's when you have no known FOB's and one or more replacements (that have never been matched to your STS) in hand. Method 3 resets already known FOB(s) and allows up to 4 FOB's to be matched.

- Method 1 -
The Owners Manual is correct.

- Method 2 -
The Owners Manual contains this procedure but it is written such to suggest that the procedure pertains to Canadian owners. Based on my experience, it should work for US owners with no known FOB's needing to match one or more replacements. Please beware that the actual procedure may contain some small varience from the manual (see below) but is accurate enough to acheive success.

- Method 3 -
This procedure will first erase all known FOB's. The procedure will then program a single FOB or multiple FOB's. Like Method 2, Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have the vehicle's mechanical key.

Important: Do not place any known good FOB's within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 3. If the vehicle recognizes a known good FOB during programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

1. The vehicle must be OFF.
2. Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds. (I left the door open throughout.)
3. The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
4. Press the OFF/ACC portion (bottom) of the ignition button.
5. The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, and then begin to count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
6. When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes.
8. At the end of the 30 minute cycle, the DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
9. Press the OFF/ACC portion (bottom) of the ignition button.
10. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: NO FOBS RECOGNIZED. At this time all previously known FOB's have been erased. Then the DIC displays: READY FOR FOB 1.
11. Go get the FOB you want to be #1 and insert it in the FOB pocket. (According to a posting elsewhere on the STS Enthusiast Forum, new style square FOB's may need the key inserted in the FOB in order to be programmed.)
12. When FOB 1 is programmed, a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
13. Remove FOB 1 and set it aside. It does not need to be removed from the car.
14. Additional FOB's can be programmed by getting them and placing them in the pocket as prompted. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
15. If learning less than 4 FOB's, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
16. Press the 'Unlock' button on each FOB in sequence to finalize the FOB matching sequence.

Important! Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the Unlock button of each FOB programmed will result in that FOB being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is required to ensure transmitter operation.

#9 ·
On your reprogramming mode, did #1 and #2 retrain the FOB so that all the automatic functions operate correctly? Like remote start, autolock when you just walk away from the car, etc.. .

Did it or you assign #1 adn #2 and they both work like two identical remotes?

I've got a second FOB I'l like to set up exactly like the one that came with the car. The easy was #1 just does minimal key FOB recoginition and you actually have to push a button to do anything door unlock, trunk unlock, but NO remote start..

#10 ·
I'm not sure I understand 100%. I don't think you can have 2 FOB's both set to Driver #1. FOB's set to #3 & #4 do everything except Recall Stored Driver Settings & Remote Start. They will allow the holder to open doors & trunk while the FOB is in your pocket as long as the Driver Settings of the previously used driver are set to allow those functions. If you have the valet switch on it can also cause unexpected behavior.

Programming methods 1 & 2 are in the manual. I detailed what I call Method 3 to erase all FOB's and reprogram them into 'positions' #1 & #2 to get the Recall Stored Driver Settings & Remote Start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.