STS Battery Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Battery Replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As I found out last year with my wife's CTS, you cannot go to the local auto parts houses and ...
    Aurora5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Blackberry 2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded

STS Battery Replacement

As I found out last year with my wife's CTS, you cannot go to the local auto parts houses and buy an OTC battery for your CTS. The same holds true for the STS as I found out last week. The series of the battery is 101 for the STS. A dealer item only. They go for $178 and up depending on what dealer you talk to.

The parts houses will not sell you any sort of a replacement or try to fit something in of comperable quality saying "The incorrect battery was not made for that car and cannot warranty it." They are scared to even try.

I got in the yellow pages under "Batteries" and located a few businesses that stocked car batteries. I remember a place that my Dad used to buy Semi-truck batteries at. They looked it up in their books and came up with 101 as the replacement. They installed a battery of the same dimensions with the exception of the replacement battery being about 1/2 inch taller than GM DELCO coming out of the car. Had the same CCA as GM. Also the battery warehouse said, "It did not matter what car their battery went into, they would give the full warranty for it." Not sure of the series number of the battery they put in but it fit in with little problems. A tight fit but no problems. Even the hold down mount matched up on the replacement battery. Cost less than $70 with tax. It was the same on the CTS last year.

The new Gel Batteries-Optima, etc. are a line of thought for future replacement.

What else are other doing to solve their battery suitations?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

themightymezzo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: STS Battery Replacement

From what I've been told the battery is actually covered under my Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. I have it for a few more years and about 50,000 more miles. If you have something like this you may want to look into it maybe GM will replace for free?

Quote Originally Posted by themightymezzo View Post
    From what I've been told the battery is actually covered under my Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. I have it for a few more years and about 50,000 more miles. If you have something like this you may want to look into it maybe GM will replace for free?

Thought of that but the GM Delco line IMHO is not that great to start with.
    When it acted up, it was at home. I charged the battery and then located a suitable replacement. I was lucky to have that happen to me at home and not at a remote location with no help.

Let's hear from other folks and their solution... most everyone is going to have to deal with this...

Thanks

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora5000 View Post
    Let's hear from other folks and their solution... most everyone is going to have to deal with this...

Thanks

Back in the early spring... Mine died in my garage. Called OnStar.

20/30 minutes later ... the Cadillac service truck was in my driveway.
    He replaced battery... I signed the service order... No charge, of course, and all has been well since then.

Texas Jim

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

My SRX battery was replaced under warranty when it failed suddenly after having the car in for service. These Delco side-terminal batteries are notorious for breaking inside if someone over-tightens the terminal bolts.

It a shame that GM still has problems with their batteries. You type in on Google "problems with GM Delco batteries and there is plenty to read.

sapien is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

my car has an Exide 75 battery in it, bought it from a Cadillac dealer that way (it came off a lease)... the only notable thing on the service record was that the OEM battery had been replaced twice! so somewhere along the way, someone stuck in a non-OEM one. maybe the 75-series is a bit undersized compared to the 101 but I haven't had any electrical problems or slow starts.

So the 75 will work in the STS as a replacement?

sapien is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

well at least going by my case it seems that it does, and the date on my battery is March 2007.

What replacement batteries does everyone else have?

I finally checked to see what the number was on the replacement battery. It is a 78-72. Same dimensions as Delco, just 1/2 inch taller. It works fine.

Regulator is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I can definately tell everyone that a group 78 n battery will NOT work in the STS. Even after removing the 1/4 of foam material on the battery shield, it is still 1/2" too tall.
    I'll update on the 75 series later on.

Regulator is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Update, the Group 75 is the same height as the Group 78....no good.
    For you guys using a 75 or 78 battery, are you also using the battery cover?

jono6406 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS4 ISG PKG

No replacement for me I'm still on my original battery.

Jono

Angus Young is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2 Cadillac STS 1SG W/NAV

I took the battery out of my 05 STS tossed it in the trunk of muh Lincoln and went to searz, walked the battery in and set it on the floor in front of the battery rack found exact match in the GOLD series cant remember what series it was 75 78 but Sears has em, but they do not list it in their books!! I called 3 Searz automotive locally and none of them showed it in their books. Dealer wants $189.99 for the Deadco I think I got the Diehard for $99.00. By the way 2 of the sales guys said it was probably the International series but it isnt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.