STS spotted and checked out...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS spotted and checked out... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I may not be the first, but I saw an STS yesterday at the local grocery store and went over ...
    CTScop is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

STS spotted and checked out...

I may not be the first, but I saw an STS yesterday at the local grocery store and went over and checked it out.

I got into my CTS and looked in my rearview mirror at a black CTS parked behind me. I thought the rims looked cool and looked harder. Then, I thought a "V"? because the front end looked little different with some mesh in the lower opening. Then I noticed the front facia looks smoother and stretched comapred to my CTS. I thought, "Is that the 2005 STS?" I got out and went over and sure enuff it was. And no manufacturer plate, but a reg passenger Mich plate.

After MUCH walking around and checking it out my impression and single word opinion is "why"? I mean, I was very excited about the STS when I saw the pics on the internet, and I was excited about the V8 option, which this one had (NORTHSTAR emblem on the rear end). But, I mean it looks ALOT like the CTS. I mean ALOT! I bet virtually anyone who is not a car-person will not be able to tell the difference unless they are next to each other.

I was hoping it would be a stand out appearance, but Cadillac already has one of these and its called the CTS. Why would they produce another vehicle that looks SO similar? I know it'll be more luxurious, with a nicer interior, etc..

My lease is up next year and I was thinking about the STS, but I cannot justify the price difference when I could get a CTS V for similar price to the STS V8. I was bummed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MEJIA is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: STS spotted and checked out...

Quote Originally Posted by CTScop
    I may not be the first, but I saw an STS yesterday at the local grocery store and went over and checked it out.

I got into my CTS and looked in my rearview mirror at a black CTS parked behind me. I thought the rims looked cool and looked harder. Then, I thought a "V"? because the front end looked little different with some mesh in the lower opening. Then I noticed the front facia looks smoother and stretched comapred to my CTS. I thought, "Is that the 2005 STS?" I got out and went over and sure enuff it was. And no manufacturer plate, but a reg passenger Mich plate.

After MUCH walking around and checking it out my impression and single word opinion is "why"? I mean, I was very excited about the STS when I saw the pics on the internet, and I was excited about the V8 option, which this one had (NORTHSTAR emblem on the rear end). But, I mean it looks ALOT like the CTS. I mean ALOT! I bet virtually anyone who is not a car-person will not be able to tell the difference unless they are next to each other.

I was hoping it would be a stand out appearance, but Cadillac already has one of these and its called the CTS. Why would they produce another vehicle that looks SO similar? I know it'll be more luxurious, with a nicer interior, etc..

My lease is up next year and I was thinking about the STS, but I cannot justify the price difference when I could get a CTS V for similar price to the STS V8. I was bummed.

You are right, when I first saw the new STS at the NYC Auto Show, all I was seeing was a stretched-out CTS. IMO and this is not the only case, car manufacturers always try to share platforms, and components (drivetrain, interior, exterior ect) to save on production costs. Look like Cadillac already has 3 Sigma-based models, CTS, STS and SRX. We will just have to wait on how the new STS sells.

Mejia

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sorry but the STS is wider and longer. Aimed at a totally different customer than the CTS. No one will mistake it for a CTS anymore than they will mistake a C320 for a E320 or a A6 for an A4. When you pay more for the STS you are paying for content and that Cadillac gives you so I see no issues anyone should have with choosing a STS or a CTS if that is what they want.

Jetillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac STS

Rueben... Of all the posts I have read about the '05 STS, (and believe me, I have ready plenty), that has to be one of the best. Excellent point. The Audi A4-8 all look very similar, but you see A8's just as much as A4's and A6's. Same for Mercedes. Excellent point!

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

I think the STS has an incredible profile. Especially with the 18" wheels.

You can see where Lutz messed with it though. Rounding off the sharp creases and especially how the trunk/rear fender edge is rounded off.
    Some people have commented that they like the rearend.
    I think that it does not look like Art and Science and looks too much like a last generation Cadillac.

I don't think I would ever mistake a STS for a CTS.
    The grille is the tip off. It is wider and the it flares at the top.
    Whereas the CTS grille sides are more vertical and perpendicular to the ground.
    This is my biggest complaint with the CTS. It makes the car look narrower.
    All Cadillac has to di is widen the grille by about 2" and the CTS wil have more presence.

Anyway, I like the STS a lot. More than the CTS. Which is too narrow looking.

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I don't have a problem with the width of the CTS but I see what you are saying and agree totally. I too think I could never get the two confused. They are totally different sizes and styled different. To each their own but I can clearly see the difference.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I agree in that there are alot of similarities between the CTS and STS. However I don't think it's a bad thing to have a consistent image and I think the slightly more rounded shape looks better.

The Audi statement is valid. I hadn't thought of those similarities. I just had hoped it would be more of a stand-out compared to the CTS. Now that I know they're on the road, I doubt I'll be "fooled" by another STS.

I will say the interior is fantastic. Very sophisticated, upclass. More what I'd expect from Cadillac. But I know the CTS was destined to be more of a performance minded ride vs luxury ride.

Anyway...my .02$.

Cheers!
    :drinker

Quote Originally Posted by rueben44
    Sorry but the STS is wider and longer. Aimed at a totally different customer than the CTS. No one will mistake it for a CTS anymore than they will mistake a C320 for a E320 or a A6 for an A4. When you pay more for the STS you are paying for content and that Cadillac gives you so I see no issues anyone should have with choosing a STS or a CTS if that is what they want.

But, unless you're a MB or Audi fan, you see one coming and don't know if its a $30K car or a $75K car unless you check out the numbers on the rearend. I'm not saying you drive a car so people know how much you spent and maybe thats the point. Who cares. You buy/lease and drive what you want, not so others know what you want. I do feel, and will profess that most people buy expensive cars for some amount of status. Come on, admit it! I know, I know, I'm gonna get flamed big time. Further, and another thing.....aw thats enuff!

Cheers to all!

me3head is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think that having a consistent look is important in their home markets, but not in the US. Over in europe most luxo cars are ordered badge-delete so noone knows how expensive your car is.

Quote Originally Posted by me3head
    I think that having a consistent look is important in their home markets, but not in the US. Over in europe most luxo cars are ordered badge-delete so noone knows how expensive your car is.
    Really? Never heard of that. Interesting.

JBsZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp

I dig the CTS V series but the standard CTS and the new STS and even the SRX leave me cold.

I would hope the CTS V series comes with a six speed automatic or better yet a dual clutch sequential shifter. Would make a great daily driver.

The STS is in my opinion going to get smoked big time by the Chrysler 300C hemi at 33 to 38 grand loaded.

tdogg5184 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS, 2009 Escalade ESV

I dont think the STS's has to worry about the 300c that is the least of its compition. The 300 is a lower market segment and has half the features and refinement of the STS. The STS has to worry about BMW, MB, Infiniti, and Acura. The luxery brands are its biggest problem not a chrysler.

highonchai is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Seville Commemorative Edition, '69 Sed.Dev., '08 G6 GT

No way could a true caddy enthusiast mistake a CTS for an STS. I see them on the highway all the time here in Mich. and i can tell when theyre going the other way on the other side of the median. Of course a double-take is in order, but theyres no way. I do agree they look similar, but theyre all starting to. I love the STS almost as much as the SRX. great styling. when my moms lease on her Trail Blazer ends ill con her into getting one. Northstar, 4 wheel drive, oh yeah.

EgyptianQueen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06
    I dig the CTS V series but the standard CTS and the new STS and even the SRX leave me cold.

I would hope the CTS V series comes with a six speed automatic or better yet a dual clutch sequential shifter. Would make a great daily driver.

The STS is in my opinion going to get smoked big time by the Chrysler 300C hemi at 33 to 38 grand loaded.
    I'm sorry: was that Chrysler in the same sentence as Cadillac? Dude, give me a break! Sure the new 300 (m is no longer in the model name) will have a Hemi, but who wants to drive a brand car from Chrysler, reigning champion of the mini-van revival? Cadillac has everything, BUT a mini-van. We see that Celine Dion didn't do much for the brand and neither will a 300 with a Hemi.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.