DVD-Audio - How to activate Dolby 5.1 and DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, DVD-Audio - How to activate Dolby 5.1 and DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When I first got my STS in October of 07, I tried out a couple of standard video DVDs to ...
    ajmasala is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

DVD-Audio - How to activate Dolby 5.1 and DTS

When I first got my STS in October of 07, I tried out a couple of standard video DVDs to see if the player is Dolby 5.1 capable. I found that with normal video DVD the player recognizes the Dolby 5.1 encoding fine and plays it as it was intended. However, I had no luck with playing my DVD-Audio DVDs in surround mode. I tried my REM "Out of Time" DVD-A, could only get it to play 2 channel (and simulated "Center Point" Surround). I mostly listen to XM or my ipod so forgot about the whole DVD-A issue.

Till yesterday.....

I did some research and found this old post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...problem-2.html

Turns out some DVD-A's don't encode the surround tracks by default in Group 1. The trick is to use "Search" and switch to a different group. In the case of the REM DVD, the surround track was in Group 3. Once that is activated it shows the Dolby icon on the screen and plays in glorious multi-channel sound. The sound quality is very impressive.

I do have another DVD-A of Vivaldi's Four Seasons which has both Dolby 5.1 and DTS encoded on it. However, I cannot get the STS to run either of these surround tracks - there are no other Groups on this DVD besides Group 1.
    When I go to the main menu on the DVD I get a message saying something like "Play this DVD-A as a DVD Video to enable surround sound". I could do this on my DVD player at home (and activate DD and DTS), but I can't find any options on the STS DVD player to achieve this. Anybody know a way to trick the DVD player to play a DVD-A as if it were a DVD Video ?

So in summary - not all DVD-Audios are created equal. If your DVD-Audio is playing in 2 channel mode (it shows "LPCM" on the screen) try the "Search" and change to a different Group - most likely Group 2. That will, in many cases, activate DD or DTS.

Thanks..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

Re: DVD-Audio - How to activate Dolby 5.1 and DTS

On my Metallica music video dvd, I have to hit the soft button "audio" that appears on screen to switch between 2-channel and 5.1. Don't know if you tried that or not.

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

When you search for a group do you type 02 or 2 for group 2? I could not get mine to find the 5.1.

ajmasala is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

It seems like not all DVD-A have more than one group. My REM DVD does have three groups and the third happens to have the DD track. I can type in 3 in the "Search" to change to that group.
    The other DVD-A i have does not have any other groups besides 1. I get nothing more when I type in "2" in the "Search".
    Benjamin, I suspect in your case your DVD-A does not have more than one group.
    I also learned, from my research on the web, that all DVD-As have a traditional DVD-Video layer on them. I can get my home DVD player (which is also DVD-A capable) to switch to playing it as a DVD Video. However I cant find any options on the STS to do this. Once it recognizes a DVD as DVD-Audio, you are stuck using it as such - the only option being the ability to switch to other groups, should they exist.

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

My DVD is two sided. I merely flip the disk. I will try the DVD Video side.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.