Cadillac Owners Forum banner
16K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  Big Boy 
#1 ·
Anyone else have an issue with the start button starting to peel and flake? I wonder if this is covered under warranty? Anyone get one changed?

#2 ·
Mine had a crack right down the middle. You could see it when it was lit up. It seemed like it was a cheaper plastic than the one on my C6. When I had the switch replaced under warranty, they installed a newer style switch. Same shape and all but seemed a little more like the Vette's and has the word "ENGINE" on it like the newer models.

#5 ·
The finish on the button contains a chemical compound that indicates by peeling the presence on the fingers of the button presser, any recreational drugs or a high blood alcohol content. The cop pulls you over, see's the peeling finish on the button and you're dead meat.

#6 ·
Sorry, No drugs or alcohol... Where do you come up with this stuff. I wish you would stay out of any thread I start.

#9 ·
On my CTS the navigation buttons peeled over time from usage and they replaced the whole unit. I looked and the STS start button is only $35 so whether or not they cover it its cheap enough to replace on your own. I have an appointment with my dealer next week for a tire sensor which is going bad and I will ask about the start button when I bring it in and see what they say.

#11 ·
Yeah, I have replaced a few of these for peeling and cracking in the center.
The newer ones don't seem to be doing it... yet.
I did notice the replacements look a bit different.
Just point it out to your advisor and they should take care of it.

#13 ·
Be careful with the replacement nav. Baby that thing. We used to do one time replacements for finish problems, but our area manager came down on us because our warranty expense was too high.
(like it is our fault)
We found that we could replace the buttons on most units. That seems to make everyone happy. Customers get the nice looking radio back and our area manger gets low warranty bills.
We can do that more than once too while the vehicle is still in warranty.

Glad to hear they are going to fix you up.

#14 ·
Unfortunately, the 2 '05 Northstar STS's we have at my dealer have the peeling problem. One of the models is so bad you can see the clear plastic GM uses under the black paint. I'm pretty sure this would be covered under warranty, but when I wash the customers cars, they have the same issues and its never been fixed. :(

#19 ·
Went to buy the car at the dealer and that was the 1st thing I saw! They said they would fix it under warranty and they did. But you think they would have fixed it before it hit the lot! I guess that 300 point check list needs to be updated to 301,ha. Love the car in Red, Tint and the wheels make it really stand out. I had a new Chrysler 300 with the Hemi it was nice but the service was unbearable. It had Navigation that did not work in motion until someone came up with a fix. It was all in the software, burned a new disk and away the problem went. Nothing compares to that Caddy Service!!

#22 ·
Although it is peeling, I wouldn't really consider them to be the same.
The buttons can be replaced, it takes a little work and most dealers just replace the entire radio.
I replace just the affected buttons. Saves time and money.

#24 ·
I noticed the light visible on mine down the center as well. I took my car in for the pinion seal recall yesterday so I asked them to take a look at that as well. When I went back to pick it up, they said it was cosmetic and not a functional problem and that it is not normally covered, but they replaced it for me anyway. It is a bit different than the old one. Anybody ever heard of that one? I know many dealers were replacing complete radios in the first generation CTS because of peeling buttons....

#25 ·
After they see about 5 more they will realize that it is not uncommon and the reason why the replacement button looks different.
They might be able to brush off the peeling finish, but when it cracks in the middle and the white light shines in your face... well...

#27 ·
I thought the first one was an oddity, the second a coincidence... after seeing about a dozen or so I just replace them.
Not many people complain about it actually. It isn't a big deal to most folks until they crack.

#29 ·
I can't believe that dealers have never seen this issue because it has been going on since 2002-2003....GMC, Chev, Cadillac all of them....nav buttons, radio buttons, steering wheel controls they are all made out of the same stuff and they have been issues for 5-6 years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.