Where's those power outlets?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Where's those power outlets? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My new '07 STS owner's manual states on page 228 that I have 3 auxilliary power outlets (a.k.a. cigarette lighters) ...
    hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Question Where's those power outlets?

My new '07 STS owner's manual states on page 228 that I have 3 auxilliary power outlets (a.k.a. cigarette lighters) in the following locations: one in front of the center console, one in the lid of the center console, and "there may be an additional outlet in the rear of the center console".

So far I have found one, in the bottom of the center console's junk-storage box. Where are the other two?

The base of the dash, at console level, has a vertical panel with a chrome long V that looks like it could be opened except no matter how much I push on it, it doesn't pop open; likewise the rear climate controls have a panel below them that looks like it would be an ashtray maybe, again pushing on it doesn't open it.

Asking my dealer's sales folks produces Idunno's, and the service staff don't get enough STSs through to know about power outlets.

Any suggestions where these outlets could be hidden? I need at least two in my daily business...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bigdog9586 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Where's those power outlets?

there is a panel at the dash across from the console if you push on it to pop it open. It I believe can be converted to an ashtray but there is a plug in there.

cguthrie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Can't believe the dealer can't help you with this!

In front of the shifter there is an "ash tray" with an outlet. Then you have an outlet under the arm rest, and one in the "ash tray" in the back of the console for folks in the back seat. Sounds like the ash trays are jammed. Walk to a new car in the show room and test.

Good luck!

CG
    2005 STS

eightshb is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How can you set the power outlets so they shut down when the car does? Right now they are always on. thanks

Curious George is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Northstar STS 1SG, PHP, ACC/HUD '06 Redline CTS-V, FG2

Quote Originally Posted by eightshb View Post
    How can you set the power outlets so they shut down when the car does? Right now they are always on. thanks
    You can't. They're always on (as you've observed) by design. Perhaps a wiring genius could put them under switch control.

pjbizjak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 07 STS w/1SG Pkg

There are certain accessories on Cadillac's, that if left on after the car is shut off, will automatically turn off to save the battery. I'm not sure if the power outlets are part of this system. You can test this out by pluging in a radar dector or some other piece of equipment that has little lights on it. Turn the car off then leave it set for a period of time (1/2 hour or longer) then check to see if the lights on the piece of equipment are out, if so that's the safety feature to save the battery.

eightshb is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Not just another pretty face I already tried that

BMBSALES is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 10 CTS-V, 13 ESCALADE, 06 C6, YAM R1

Quote Originally Posted by Curious George View Post
    You can't. They're always on (as you've observed) by design. Perhaps a wiring genius could put them under switch control.
    i thought i posted my setup, with pics, here in the past, on this forum.

you just take out fuse for power adaptors (cigt lighters), and get one of those $3 fuse holders with a tail that converts one fuse port into two, from advance auto. then you choose any fuse that is on only with key (like wwipers, etc), remove it's fuse and install what you bought, then snip the pigtail to length so it reaches original power adaptor fuse location (usually a few inches). install a male spade on end of pigtail, and plug it in the non-hot side of fuseblock where you removed power adapt fuse (so as to make connection to cig lighters without using orig circuit).

takes 15 minutes. i've done it on all my gm vehicles.

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by BMBSALES View Post
    i thought i posted my setup, with pics, here in the past, on this forum.

you just take out fuse for power adaptors (cigt lighters), and get one of those $3 fuse holders with a tail that converts one fuse port into two, from advance auto. then you choose any fuse that is on only with key (like wwipers, etc), remove it's fuse and install what you bought, then snip the pigtail to length so it reaches original power adaptor fuse location (usually a few inches). install a male spade on end of pigtail, and plug it in the non-hot side of fuseblock where you removed power adapt fuse (so as to make connection to cig lighters without using orig circuit).

takes 15 minutes. i've done it on all my gm vehicles.
    Pictures, please.

eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

Bumping an old thread, but how the F does anyone put any kind of power plug in the DC outlet in the front ash tray??? It gives you about 2" or space; no one makes a DC adapter this small.

I could Dremel a hole in the front of the ash tray and take the front panel off, but I would prefer not the hack the think up unless I have to.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

That's a cigarette lighter. They are hard to find in cars anymore.

There's a power outlet inside the console.

----------

If you're looking for a permanent installation, run a tap from a nearby source. The best solution is always a properly rated wire back to the fuse box.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.