Will 2008 key fob work on 2006 ? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Will 2008 key fob work on 2006 ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So, has anyone gotten a definitive word from the dealer as to if this can be programmed? Do dealers still ...
    Dirny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Will 2008 key fob work on 2006 ?

So, has anyone gotten a definitive word from the dealer as to if this can be programmed? Do dealers still sell the old style fob (2005-2007) in case of need replacement?[/QUOTE]

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Anyone?

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

I just added an 08 fob to my 06 and it works perfectly.

coolbreeze is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

I purchased a 2008 FOB off of Ebay for my 2006 STS. I followed the instruction below which I got from this forum. I reprogrammed the 2008 FOB as #1 and my 2006 FOB #2 as #2 and the #1 FOB as #3.

Success - My wife's 2007 1SE is not a brick! Both FOB's work fine. Previously posted procedures (and the Owners Manual) are essentially correct but not perfect. I'm sure I won't be either but here's my attempt:

Matching Transmitters to Your Vehicle

There are three procedures based on your particular situation. Method 1 adds additional Transmitters (FOB's) when you have a known FOB. Method 2 adds FOB's when you have no known FOB's and one or more replacements (that have never been matched to your STS) in hand. Method 3 resets already known FOB(s) and allows up to 4 FOB's to be matched.

- Method 1 -
    The Owners Manual is correct.

- Method 2 -
    The Owners Manual contains this procedure but it is written such to suggest that the procedure pertains to Canadian owners. Based on my experience, it should work for US owners with no known FOB's needing to match one or more replacements. Please beware that the actual procedure may contain some small varience from the manual (see below) but is accurate enough to acheive success.

- Method 3 -
    This procedure will first erase all known FOB's. The procedure will then program a single FOB or multiple FOB's. Like Method 2, Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have the vehicle's mechanical key.

Important: Do not place any known good FOB's within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 3. If the vehicle recognizes a known good FOB during programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

1. The vehicle must be OFF.
    2. Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds. (I left the door open throughout.)
    3. The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
    4. Press the OFF/ACC portion (bottom) of the ignition button.
    5. The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, and then begin to count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
    6. When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
    7. Repeat steps 4-6 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes.
    8. At the end of the 30 minute cycle, the DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
    9. Press the OFF/ACC portion (bottom) of the ignition button.
    10. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: NO FOBS RECOGNIZED. At this time all previously known FOB's have been erased. Then the DIC displays: READY FOR FOB 1.
    11. Go get the FOB you want to be #1 and insert it in the FOB pocket. (According to a posting elsewhere on the STS Enthusiast Forum, new style square FOB's may need the key inserted in the FOB in order to be programmed.)
    12. When FOB 1 is programmed, a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
    13. Remove FOB 1 and set it aside. It does not need to be removed from the car.
    14. Additional FOB's can be programmed by getting them and placing them in the pocket as prompted. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
    15. If learning less than 4 FOB's, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
    16. Press the 'Unlock' button on each FOB in sequence to finalize the FOB matching sequence.

Important! Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the Unlock button of each FOB programmed will result in that FOB being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is required to ensure transmitter operation.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Nice procedure. It looks familiar!

Enjoy!

mcflury is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V platinum

Quote Originally Posted by stephenstay View Post
    I purchased a 2007 STS-V from a dealer that came with a 2008 fob. The dealer was driving the car and said he liked the newer style better. I don't know if there are any "tricks" to make it work but I do know that mine is working fine.
    Does the valet key from you 08 fob work in your 06 sts-v
    theturle and theturle like this.

The new style fob's key is a different blank so some handiwork is required to match an old-style key to a new-style fob. Tomm sourced a bunch of the new fobs awhile ago and there were a couple of threads on the topic.

I think the valet key is separate and the one in the fob is full-function.

JediSamreye is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 STS

so am i safe in thinking that since 06 people have gotten it to work fine then my 05 should work as well?

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

I'm using one for my '05.

mcflury is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V platinum

It works great just finished programing the new remote today. First I ordered off ebay this part number 25943676 which is 2011/2008 remote with remote start and proximity this one came off a 2011 Cts-v.
    I used method 2 down below first added the 2008 FOB as FOB 3 and the it was easy as pie. I tried some functions and remote start would not work. Second I used method three from below and reset all FOBs then programed 2008 FOB as FOB1 and 2006 FOB as FOB2 and finally 2006 FOB2 as FOB3 at first the remote start would not work again I thought maybe I received a broken 2011 FOB. I restarted the car and then the 2008/2011 FOB worked. Here are some notes I am pretty sure you have to restart the car for the remote start to work with any new additional FOB. Note 2 the key from a 2006 will need to be machined to fit into the hidden key space in the 2008/2011 FOB.

Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    I purchased a 2008 FOB off of Ebay for my 2006 STS. I followed the instruction below which I got from this forum. I reprogrammed the 2008 FOB as #1 and my 2006 FOB #2 as #2 and the #1 FOB as #3.

Success - My wife's 2007 1SE is not a brick! Both FOB's work fine. Previously posted procedures (and the Owners Manual) are essentially correct but not perfect. I'm sure I won't be either but here's my attempt:

There are three procedures based on your particular situation. Method 1 adds additional Transmitters (FOB's) when you have a known FOB. Method 2 adds FOB's when you have no known FOB's and one or more replacements (that have never been matched to your STS) in hand. Method 3 resets already known FOB(s) and allows up to 4 FOB's to be matched.

- Method 1 -

- Method 2 -
    The Owners Manual contains this procedure but it is written such to suggest that the procedure pertains to Canadian owners. Based on my experience, it should work for US owners with no known FOB's needing to match one or more replacements. Please beware that the actual procedure may contain some small varience from the manual (see below) but is accurate enough to acheive success.

- Method 3 -
    This procedure will first erase all known FOB's. The procedure will then program a single FOB or multiple FOB's. Like Method 2, Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have the vehicle's mechanical key.

Important: Do not place any known good FOB's within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 3. If the vehicle recognizes a known good FOB during programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

2. Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds. (I left the door open throughout.)
    5. The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, and then begin to count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
    10. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: NO FOBS RECOGNIZED. At this time all previously known FOB's have been erased. Then the DIC displays: READY FOR FOB 1.
    11. Go get the FOB you want to be #1 and insert it in the FOB pocket. (According to a posting elsewhere on the STS Enthusiast Forum, new style square FOB's may need the key inserted in the FOB in order to be programmed.)
    12. When FOB 1 is programmed, a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
    14. Additional FOB's can be programmed by getting them and placing them in the pocket as prompted. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
    15. If learning less than 4 FOB's, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
    16. Press the 'Unlock' button on each FOB in sequence to finalize the FOB matching sequence.

Important! Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the Unlock button of each FOB programmed will result in that FOB being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is required to ensure transmitter operation.

AnthonyS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V

I am very interested in replacing my worn fob with an updated 08+ for my 07. I want to replace my #1 to the new fob, will I use method 1 to do this?

To make a match a new fob as #1, use method 3.

The only difference is to ensure all known fobs are out of range. What could be written to make it more clear?

flyers7732 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V

i purchased a 2008 sts key and it mated to my 06 sts just fine, had the key cut its not as wide as the regular key but it does still work.

bjherron123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post

- Method 1 -

- Method 2 -

- Method 3 -

just did this on my 07, worked perfectly! I had two 07 remotes, and I just added an 08 remote. The 08 is programmed as #1, 07 #2 as 2, and 07 #1 as 3.

Brian

Benjamin Simon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)

Do anyone know if this will work for a 2005 Sts? From what I have gathered after reading this tread is PN 25943676 should work.

Mine does. The part number is too small to be sure about. I may have posted in this thread previously....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.