Will 2008 key fob work on 2006 ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Will 2008 key fob work on 2006 ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I also bought a CPO with #1 FOB missing. The dealer sent me a new one and I was able ...
    pjbizjak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 07 STS w/1SG Pkg

Re: Will 2008 key fob work on 2006 ?

I also bought a CPO with #1 FOB missing. The dealer sent me a new one and I was able to program it via owners manual instructions, however it was programed into the #3 slot as a extra FOB. Everything works except being that it was entered as #3 FOB it won't keep the memory positions that are set, only FOB 1 & 2 will keep memory settings.

jjsocrazy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-4 V6

My father works for a Cadillac dealer and I have an 07 STS. I tried to get the new 08 Key Fob which looks beautiful but they said it isn't possible. If you are familiar with the way the key works, it picks up signals from a type of antenna of some sort to open the doors, trunk, etc. The new key integrated with this system will not work with the 05-07 model year, only the 08 and above since the entire system with the antennas and all are different in the new key fob, I assume better reception from the key to open in crowded/interference areas. This is why they didn't want to put it in the 05-07 year since they waited to update the model.

LuvMyV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 4.6 STS

Quote Originally Posted by pjbizjak View Post
    I also bought a CPO with #1 FOB missing. The dealer sent me a new one and I was able to program it via owners manual instructions, however it was programed into the #3 slot as a extra FOB. Everything works except being that it was entered as #3 FOB it won't keep the memory positions that are set, only FOB 1 & 2 will keep memory settings.
    I'm confused. I'm missing the #2 fob. Does that mean that if I buy a fob and reprogram using the manual instructions, it will ONLY be recognized as #3? Or is there a way to set it to #2?

AllWheelEric is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG

If your car was originally sold in the US, it is designed so that you can fix this problem yourself. I have done this. I bought my car used with only one fob that was programmed as driver 1. I bought a second fob on ebay, which the car accepted as driver 3. I then followed the lengthy (40 minute) procedure in the user manual to make the car forget all fobs. Then I taught it to recognize the same two fobs as driver 1 and 2. I know others have been unable to do this, but it did work for me.

lil666 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

So, I just read this thread and I see some that say you can use an '08 Fob and others that say no.
    Is there a difinitive answer? Has anyone TRIED to do?
    Also, is the key housed IN the fob as previously mentioned? (that would be cool)

I'm interested in giving this a whirl, but don't want to dole out $200 if it's not going to work.

Thanks!

05STSWOW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 1-SG, traded in 2005 STS4 1-SG

The valet key is enclosed within the fob, so you can flip the valet switch, lock the glove box, and hand the fob to the attendant. The problem is that the key ring eye is attached to the valet key part and the fob is left with nothing and no way to attach a parking tag or hang it on a hook. Makes it easy for the attendant to misplace to fob. This was really not very well thought out, plus the valet is a bitch to extract from the fob.

slr001 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So was the 2008 fob able to work on the 06? Was the key inside the fob "uncut"??

bigdog9586 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

hasn't it been said here that yes you can reprogram them but unless the dealer goes in and tweaks the cars computer that the memory functuons will NOT work?
    ==================
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee iLL View Post
    I seem to recall someone stating on the STS-V forums that the dealer is required to program the new FOB's and that your old FOB's would no longer work... I could be wrong though.

tonysailor is offline Cadillac Owners Member

was told it would at stealership.

T

stephenstay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade, 2007 STS-V

I purchased a 2007 STS-V from a dealer that came with a 2008 fob. The dealer was driving the car and said he liked the newer style better. I don't know if there are any "tricks" to make it work but I do know that mine is working fine.

mkailley is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am one of those lucky guys who went out and bought a new 2008 fob for my 2007 STS,,, I only tried a few times this morning, but I cant seem to pair the fob with my car. The instructions are pretty straight forward so im pretty sure im not messing up.

From what i read around, there is a chance the 2008 FOB will not work with 2007 cars because they use different transmitter/recievers
    So a word of caution to anyone wanting to buy a 2008 FOB. I wasted $70 if i cant get this to work

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

Quote Originally Posted by mkailley View Post
    I am one of those lucky guys who went out and bought a new 2008 fob for my 2007 STS,,, I only tried a few times this morning, but I cant seem to pair the fob with my car. The instructions are pretty straight forward so im pretty sure im not messing up.

From what i read around, there is a chance the 2008 FOB will not work with 2007 cars because they use different transmitter/recievers
    So a word of caution to anyone wanting to buy a 2008 FOB. I wasted $70 if i cant get this to work
    I'll say it again.. In the sts-v forum there was a thread of an individual who could not program his new 2008 fob to his 2006 or 2007 car. He took it to the dealer, who had to reprogram his car to use the new 2008 fob, at which point the old fobs no longer worked. If i am wrong, shoot me. But i don't think i am.

Budlite984 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yes it will work, I have a 2006 cadillac DTS I got a 08 fob off thr internet, Went out and in 30 sec. it was working. I redid all my old fobs at the same time. If you like the 08 look get one it will work.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Quote Originally Posted by Budlite984 View Post
    Yes it will work, I have a 2006 cadillac DTS I got a 08 fob off thr internet, Went out and in 30 sec. it was working. I redid all my old fobs at the same time. If you like the 08 look get one it will work.
    Glad it worked on your DTS but I bought one and my STS does not even recognize it when I put it in the fob pocket in the armrest. Does nothing except the DIC keeps displaying insert Fob 3 to be programmed and does nothing when I insert it to be programmed.

nixonride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

so it works for some and not for others....looks like this is one that if you get it take it to the dealer and have them reprogram it. Tomm have you tried to take it to a dealership and have the reprogram done. I like the look of the new keys and would like to do the swap since I really don't have any other keys that I carry around with me. Guess I will go see what my local dealer says.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.