2008 STS bluetooth with iPhone
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2008 STS bluetooth with iPhone in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The bluetooth and the iPhone seem to work correctly with the annoying exception that once I have given a command ...
    byron.hopp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2008 STS

2008 STS bluetooth with iPhone

The bluetooth and the iPhone seem to work correctly with the annoying exception that once I have given a command to call a number a VERY LOUD whining noise is heard. This seems to have no relationship to the RPM of the engine. It seems to happen 2 out of 3 times I use the voice command. My dealer installed a filter recommended by GM but it did not change the noise at all. Seems like it is a software issue where once the call is dialed the system needs to mute until ringing starts. Anybody else having this problem. My family has 5 (five) iPhones, car has problem with all. Wife has mitsubishi no problems (Rockford / Fosgate). Love all other aspects of the Car. Love to drive it. Wish I had gotten Heads Up. Maybe next time...

Byron...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dhemrick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS

Re: 2008 STS bluetooth with iPhone

I have an iPhone and have the same buzzing issue occasionally when connecting a call in my 2006 STS-V. I had the software on my nav system updated (presumably to the same software version you have in your newer car) and although I have fewer occurrences of this, it still happens occasionally.

I think what you are hearing is not electrical noise, but rather the actual data stream between the phone and the nav unit. It is interpreting it as actual voice data rather than something else (call setup data?), and the nav unit is trying to send it to the speakers thinking it is voice.

It is definitely a software compatibility issue between the iPhone implementation of bluetooth and the Denso implementation.

I don't know how to resolve it other than hope that the software updates on the iPhone eventually address it. I'm currently on iPhone version 1.1.1.

I'm sure if we report it to Apple and Denso they will just point fingers at each other. Bluetooth is a very ill defined standard that leaves a lot of interpretation to individual manufacturers, so it may just be something that you have to live with.

If I hear something different, then I will post it here.

leojhartiv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8

I too have an iPhone (1.1.1) and a 2006 STS V8. I don't notice a persistent hum, but I do get greeted with an extremely loud and ear-piercing buzz noise when I use my hands free.

GM-4-LIFE is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade on Order

It may be the annoying interference caused by the GSM technology that Cingular Wireless has. When I had Cingular Wireless, I had that same annoying GSM interference sound. When I switched to Verizon Wireless, that annoying sound was gone due to the CDMA technology.

Going from Cingular to Verizon was a world of difference better.

SG

Quote Originally Posted by leojhartiv View Post
    I too have an iPhone (1.1.1) and a 2006 STS V8. I don't notice a persistent hum, but I do get greeted with an extremely loud and ear-piercing buzz noise when I use my hands free.
    Yes, the ear splitting buzz is what we're all talking about.

With regards to AT&T(Cingular) versus Verizon, I had AT&T service with a Motorola RAZR and experienced no bluetooth issues. It wasn't until I switched to the iPhone that I started getting the buzz when it is setting up a call. During the call there is no problem.

Now, that said, there is NO way I'd go back to the RAZR. The iPhone is just too awesome!

Dirny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have that annoying buzz with my iphone as well.

A bigger problem for me is the fact that the radio does not mute when I accept an incoming call. As the call is displayed on the nav screen and the phone rings, the radio is mute. As soon as I answer, the radio turns back on and drowns out the person who is calling.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anything I can do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirny View Post
    I have that annoying buzz with my iphone as well.

A bigger problem for me is the fact that the radio does not mute when I accept an incoming call. As the call is displayed on the nav screen and the phone rings, the radio is mute. As soon as I answer, the radio turns back on and drowns out the person who is calling.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anything I can do about it?
    That can be solved by upgrading the software on the nav system. I assume that your car is still under warranty? Report that to your dealer. They can order the upgrade disks for the nav and upgrade the software. I did that, and since the upgrade I have had no further problems with the radio failing to auto mute. Before the upgrade, auto mute never worked properly.

byron.hopp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2008 STS

My wife has a Mitsibushi with bluetooth (Fosgate? unit) and no problem with their implementation. I just hope that Cadillac will upgrade the software soon. Apple seems to be selling a large quantity of these iPhones.

Byron...

thefred is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by byron.hopp View Post
    My wife has a Mitsibushi with bluetooth (Fosgate? unit) and no problem with their implementation. I just hope that Cadillac will upgrade the software soon. Apple seems to be selling a large quantity of these iPhones.

Byron...
    Good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out. As it stands now the three phones that are supposed to work with bluetooth are over three years old. They haven't added any new phones to the list since the bluetooth unit came out...

jjsocrazy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-4 V6

I too use the iPhone with my 07 STS. The bluetooth works very well compared to my Nextel and the iPhone gives better options such as using the speakerphone, sts, or just handset. I like the user-friendlyness although that buzz in the beginning scares the hell out of me!

VBCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same problems with my iPhone that have been posted, plus the fact that my iPhone won't instantly connect with my 07 STS. I have to manually go into the config menu of the bluetooth option and press connect. Anyone else with this problem? I had a RAZr with ATT before this on the thing worked great with my STS. No buzzing or loud data transmission noises at all.

gunner13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2008 STS... get the same loud "buzz" <whatever> when the call is initiated using my iPhone. Short duration but LOUD! Sheesh... never had a problem with the previous phone nor does with wife have a problem with her Sony/Erickson phone. There are occasions when the bluetooth doesn't connect but that happens infrequently. I like the iPhone well enough that I'll live with it but would take it to the dealer <or most anyone else> if a cure is found.

Quote Originally Posted by VBCaddy View Post
    I have the same problems with my iPhone that have been posted, plus the fact that my iPhone won't instantly connect with my 07 STS. I have to manually go into the config menu of the bluetooth option and press connect. Anyone else with this problem? I had a RAZr with ATT before this on the thing worked great with my STS. No buzzing or loud data transmission noises at all.
    If your phone won't instantly connect, it sounds like you have not selected that phone as the "default".

In the config menu for bluetooth, look at the the listing for your iphone. If it is not underlined, then it is not set as the default.

To make it the default, select the listing for your iPhone, then press the "default" button on the right. The entry will be underlined.

After you do that, it will connect up every time.

It doesn't solve the buzzing problem when making a call nor the failure to auto-mute problem, but at least you will connect up automatically.

greghills is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade EXT Ultra Lux

Quote Originally Posted by dhemrick View Post
    If your phone won't instantly connect, it sounds like you have not selected that phone as the "default".

In the config menu for bluetooth, look at the the listing for your iphone. If it is not underlined, then it is not set as the default.

To make it the default, select the listing for your iPhone, then press the "default" button on the right. The entry will be underlined.

After you do that, it will connect up every time.

It doesn't solve the buzzing problem when making a call nor the failure to auto-mute problem, but at least you will connect up automatically.
    I have a T-Mobile Dash unit that only connects sometimes to my '07
    It is set as my default but only about half the time will it connect automatically.
    I have noticed that when it doesn't connect, usually there is another bluetooth device in the car, like a headset or another bluetooth phone.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Quote Originally Posted by greghills View Post
    I have a T-Mobile Dash unit that only connects sometimes to my '07
    It is set as my default but only about half the time will it connect automatically.
    I have noticed that when it doesn't connect, usually there is another bluetooth device in the car, like a headset or another bluetooth phone.
    Maybe the issue is with your phone and not the STS... If your phone has a preference of which device to use the STS would not be able to connect. Some phones if multiple devices are present use the order they were listed as preference.. If this is the case remove all the bluetooth connections from your phone and put the STS first.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.