Anybody change AT fluid ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Anybody change AT fluid ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; At 30K, I would like to change the fluid on my 05 STS RWD with AT. I looked under the ...
    porkfarm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Anybody change AT fluid ?

At 30K, I would like to change the fluid on my 05 STS RWD with AT. I looked under the car this afternoon and found what looked like a drain plug on the pan and maybe a ruber plug that might be to drain the converter ? But I could not find a fill hole. Has anybody changed the fluid ? I am thinking about going with the DEX VI and would like to do myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Curious George is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 Northstar STS 1SG, PHP, ACC/HUD '06 Redline CTS-V, FG2

Re: Anybody change AT fluid ?

Don't. The transmission is a factory-sealed system. There is no way to check fluid level. Follow the recommendation in your Owner's Manual: have a dealership technician change it at 100,000 miles (50,000 under severe driving conditions).

(Transmission is a French word for "leave it alone".)

Not gonna do it... Lifetime fluid ? Who's lifetime ? 100K and then you get to put in a new tranny ? No thanks.. The new DexVI fluid specs look to be a big improvement. Do a search on lifetime transmission fluid and see what others think. Oh sure, you might see me a few of them. This car needs to see 200K miles.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Have dealer do it, or buy a hand pump at place like Harbor Freight. Under $10. Measure exactly how much you took out. Install same amount.

Use same pump for rear; remember the GM additive for rear.

I have changed my tranny fluid and filter at 25k miles for the past 40 years.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Where to pump it back in ? Same place it came out ? The drain plug on the bottom? I already did the rear and used the limited slip fluid also. Waste money ? I don't see it that way. The ride is getting better and better with every little bit of work I do .. Mileage is going up and up and it's just a better drive. But, I tell you what, I will post my ATF fluid test from blackstone and see exactly if was a waste or not. I swear I feal a slight shudder in 3-4 shift, and DEX VI has much better flow in the cold .. ( um .. Is the money spent on the ATF test a waste also ? )

Quote Originally Posted by porkfarm View Post
    Where to pump it back in ? Same place it came out ? The drain plug on the bottom? I already did the rear and used the limited slip fluid also. Waste money ? I don't see it that way. The ride is getting better and better with every little bit of work I do .. Mileage is going up and up and it's just a better drive. But, I tell you what, I will post my ATF fluid test from blackstone and see exactly if was a waste or not. I swear I feal a slight shudder in 3-4 shift, and DEX VI has much better flow in the cold .. ( um .. Is the money spent on the ATF test a waste also ? )
    The imaginative car owner can easily experience vast improvements that the rest of us can barely detect with precise measurement.

well plus the fact that the car is in bumper to bumper Boston/New York traffic or doing 100MPH with the rest of the heard, as not to be run over and all this before 6AM. Temps can get over 100 or -35 in the mountains. That is listed as extreme duty and I think 50K is recommended for that.. How's the traffic in Fairbanks ?

Quote Originally Posted by porkfarm View Post
    well plus the fact that the car is in bumper to bumper Boston/New York traffic or doing 100MPH with the rest of the heard, as not to be run over and all this before 6AM. Temps can get over 100 or -35 in the mountains. That is listed as extreme duty and I think 50K is recommended for that.. How's the traffic in Fairbanks ?
    Temps in Fairbanks go from +99F to -68F. The transmission OLM barely budges.

Your 2006 should already have it.. Not sure if my 2005 does. Maybe that that is why your OLM barely budges.

GM claims that Dexron-VI delivers more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests than do existing fluids. Although the company is still gathering data, it expects this to lead to a drain interval extension of roughly the same order.

“The result [of the effort] is a new fluid that significantly outperforms existing fluids in every aspect,” said Roy Fewkes, driveline fluids group leader for GM Powertrain. “In fact, we have had to significantly extend the length of our durability tests to fully test the fluid’s capability.”

Skibanker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

After paying for three GM cars to have a new transmission over the years, all at around 125,000 miles, I'm a firm believer in the "severe conditions" schedule for transmission maintenance. As for mechanic reliability, I fix that by watching the work as it's being done. These new machines allow you to see the quality/condition of the new fluid and the color/condition of the old fluid as it's being exchanged. I consider the expense to be insurance. Better to pay $139 a few times than over $2500 once.

Skibanker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

After paying for three transmissions in GM cars over the years, all at around 125,000 miles, I'm a firm believer in transmission maintenance according to the "severe" schedule, which is 50,000 miles. These new machines allow you to see the quality/condition of the new fluid and the color/condition of the old fluid as it's being exchanged. And I know the work has been done because I watch them. For my money, I'd rather pay what I consider to be insurance of $139 a few times over the life of the car rather than $2500 for a rebuilt tranny.

Same boat here Skibanker, but if I could find out how to fill this dang thing, I would do it myself and it would cost a heck of a lot less. Plus I know it's done correctly and with the correct fluid. I figure if I drain and fill with fresh fluid every 15K with a filter change at some point, It should be able to do 200K easy. That's what I did with one of my last cars. At 180K the tranny was flawless, but it had a dipstick so extracting and putting in new fluid was super easy. Last I heard was that it was still running great with over 210K.

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    What else am I going to do with all my money. Have you ever seen a luggage rack on the back of a hearse??? Might as well spend your money now.

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    The imaginative car owner can easily experience vast improvements that the rest of us can barely detect with precise measurement.
    Looks like you found that thesaurus again!! Some of us need pics, man!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.