Anybody change AT fluid ? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Anybody change AT fluid ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Would agree with all points above for brake fluid. Much easier to flush out than transmission so I would just ...
    AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Re: Anybody change AT fluid ?

Would agree with all points above for brake fluid. Much easier to flush out than transmission so I would just grab a few bottles and a bubby and get the whole system flushed once and leave it. Every time the cap is opened you are exposing it to the risk of moisture, do it once the right way (only like 20 minutes tops) and leave it.

Gale Hawkins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by porkfarm View Post
    Same boat here Skibanker, but if I could find out how to fill this dang thing, I would do it myself and it would cost a heck of a lot less. Plus I know it's done correctly and with the correct fluid. I figure if I drain and fill with fresh fluid every 15K with a filter change at some point, It should be able to do 200K easy. That's what I did with one of my last cars. At 180K the tranny was flawless, but it had a dipstick so extracting and putting in new fluid was super easy. Last I heard was that it was still running great with over 210K.
    This is about as good as it get to make the transmission last as long as possible. Doing Patrick's bucket flush (write up under Escalade forum) for a total change out of fluid every 30K miles be just as good too.

Even with Dexron VI I think after buying one 4L60-e it is best to do a total change out every 30K miles or pan drain every 15K miles. We just did the bucket flush using 16 quarts on both of our 4L60's because the ATF was already brown at 60K miles with NO towing.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...id-change.html

6sts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS v6

that link is nice, but unlike the escalade, we do not have a transmission dipstick, could you simply just pour the new fluid into the hose that is off?

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Skibanker View Post
    After paying for three transmissions in GM cars over the years, all at around 125,000 miles, I'm a firm believer in transmission maintenance according to the "severe" schedule, which is 50,000 miles. These new machines allow you to see the quality/condition of the new fluid and the color/condition of the old fluid as it's being exchanged. And I know the work has been done because I watch them. For my money, I'd rather pay what I consider to be insurance of $139 a few times over the life of the car rather than $2500 for a rebuilt tranny.
    Well, you're doing something wrong, I have run several cars to 200,000, and many into the 120,000 range and beyond with no transmission issues, including 3 FWD Gms from 1992- 2000 and RWD Fleetwoods & DeVilles & CTS from 1968-2005. The 2005 CTS Trans OLM was still over 40% when we traded it in.

As long as you don't overheat it or ignore a leak that drains it too low, they are not the same transmissions from the mid-late 80s. These newer cars all have aux transmission oil coolers so overheating is much less of a problem unless you're in the desert.

As Binky said, waste your money if you want to.

Now i did flush both Fleetwoods' (& the DVC)transmissions as well as the rear diff, the Fleetwoods, because i tow my boat, and the DVC, well, it's over 40 years old and i had no idea how long the fluid was in that car when i bought it. I might re-flush it with Dex IV - when did that fluid come out, because maybe my flush in 1999 was already done with Dex IV.

Midnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SG

Hmm, does the 05 STS have a trans OLM? I know about the engine OLM but never saw anything about a trans one, maybe it requires a scan tool or something?

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Yea..... I'd like to know too. If there is a Transmission OLM, I'm unaware of it's existence in our model.

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    No OLM for transmission. Just change it at 100K & get thee to a service bay if gear changes start to get funky.

Boat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4 V6

Sorry, digging up an old thread. How many quarts will I drain out from a pan removal and filter change in my 2007 STS4 v6 5 speed transmission? Looking to use Redline D6 and an ACDelco filter.

Boat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4 V6

Anyone know?

targetSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG

about 6 quarts

Jneedom14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

I was forced to when my transmission line popped on the freeway!!!
    2006 Cadillac STS V8

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.