Anybody change AT fluid ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Anybody change AT fluid ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by porkfarm Where to pump it back in ? Same place it came out ? The drain plug ...
    z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Re: Anybody change AT fluid ?

Quote Originally Posted by porkfarm View Post
    Where to pump it back in ? Same place it came out ? The drain plug on the bottom? I already did the rear and used the limited slip fluid also. Waste money ? I don't see it that way. The ride is getting better and better with every little bit of work I do .. Mileage is going up and up and it's just a better drive. But, I tell you what, I will post my ATF fluid test from blackstone and see exactly if was a waste or not. I swear I feal a slight shudder in 3-4 shift, and DEX VI has much better flow in the cold .. ( um .. Is the money spent on the ATF test a waste also ? )
    Pump new fluid back in drain plug hole. Remember to measure old fluid and new fluid.

porkfarm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Nice ! will do . Thank you

One more question. I know about putting in what came out, but is the drian plug a 2 part plug ? Kind of like a Jatco unit . When the first plug is removed, it should only trickle out , but once you take the second plug out it drains ? It must be a pain in the butt to pump that new fluid in without having it come back at you without some kind of angle on the end of it. There is no fill hole above the fluid line ? I did see a nice procedure for the V's that has a fill hole above the fluid line, but my tranny looks nothing like that one from what I can tell.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

One more question. I know about putting in what came out, but is the drian plug a 2 part plug ? Kind of like a Jatco unit . When the first plug is removed, it should only trickle out , but once you take the second plug out it drains ? It must be a pain in the butt to pump that new fluid in without having it come back at you without some kind of angle on the end of it. There is no fill hole above the fluid line ? I did see a nice procedure for the V's that has a fill hole above the fluid line, but my tranny looks nothing like that one from what I can tell.
    There is a fill port higher up. Go to www.helminc.com and get a factory service manual before you do some damage.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Thanks for the link ski, good looking set of manuals for 135 bucks, I might use 3 or 4 pages out of it once then have it sit next to my others, but I was looking for online help.. Maybe somebody that has done this before to a 2005 STS RWD Auto. I figured this was a good place to check. A website that friendly folks can share info about 2005 and up Caddy STS's .. You know like other car forums.. Thanks again for your input and concern.
    1968vert and 1968vert like this.

Thanks for the link ski, good looking set of manuals for 135 bucks, I might use 3 or 4 pages out of it once then have it sit next to my others, but I was looking for online help.. Maybe somebody that has done this before to a 2005 STS RWD Auto. I figured this was a good place to check. A website that friendly folks can share info about 2005 and up Caddy STS's .. You know like other car forums.. Thanks again for your input and concern.
    Here is a link for the terminally stingy. www.alldatadiy.com

"Waste your money if you want to." Was one of your first replys now. "Here is a link for the terminally stingy."

"Waste your money if you want to." Was one of your first replys now. "Here is a link for the terminally stingy."
    If you're going to throw your money away I can at least help you do it in a thrifty manner.

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

I agree, you need the FSM before attempting this, but here are excerpts of the procedure from the FSM to give you some idea. It looks like they really don't want you servicing the transmission in this car. Also I have found nothing about actually adding fluid, just checking the level and since the level is above the fluid level hole plug when the engine is not running they must expect you to meter the fluid in and then put the plug back in the hole quickly to avoid spillage. Only spec is dry fill is 9 qts. which would be too much for just a drain and fill. I guess the best way would be to measure the amount drained and pump the exact same amount back in. As with most GM transmissions I don't think you can drain the converter.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
    2. Place a suitable drain pan under the transmission fluid drain plug.
    3. Remove and discard the transmission fluid drain plug.
    4. Allow the transmission fluid to drain.
    5. Inspect the transmission fluid for discoloration and contamination while draining.
    6. After the transmission fluid has finished draining, install a NEW transmission fluid drain plug.

Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure (Don't do this until you have added fluid!)
    1. Install a scan tool and observe the transmission fluid temperature.
    2. Start the vehicle, and with the engine idling, depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range.
    3. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range.
    4. Support the transmission with a suitable jack.
    5. Remove the bolts securing the transmission crossmember to the vehicle and the transmission.
    Caution: The engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
    6. Remove the transmission fluid level hole plug. (located on the left rear, driver's side, of the transmission case just above the pan. Opposite side of the drain plug)
    7. Let the fluid temperature rise until it has reached the specified value. Inspect the fluid level. The level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.

How much more could a dipstick for the transmission have cost???

Thankyou Onalaska.. I found that writeup also. I did find a picture of the tranny with it and it looks like the fill hole is on the back side of the case. Looks like driver side. This is just about the same process that my Jaguar has. The fill plug is located just under the battery. Seeing as I would like to get as much out as I can so the new DEX VI is not swimming with the old DEXIIIh, It looks like the dealer might get the job if the do it via the cooler lines. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the clutches in an AT give some slip when shifting as not to bang into gear ? Would this not create nasty stuff in the fluid ? So the fluid would be fine, but the junk in it, is not. Must be why they put a filter in it. Jag does not even have that. Thanks again for taking the time to post the write-up.

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

I was reading about Dex XI and bought some to put back in when I change the fluid in one of my trucks. It's still kind of hard to find. It sounds like good stuff and I imagine the trans in the STS would benefit from it. Yes you do loose friction material from the clutches, that is what the filter is for. The actual lubrication properties of the fluid probably will last a long time as long as there is no overheating. I don't plan on towing anything with the car so that shouldn' t be a problem. I have less than 20,000 miles on my STS so will not be doing anything for a while.

Did the change over. 4 Gallons of GM DEX VI shipped to my door. Old fluid with 32K on it was black as night. Nice and cherry red now. Mileage is back up and shudder is gone. Tip for anybody else doing it. 3.5 - 4 qts. comes out the drain hot. Put in a clean catch pan and measure exactly how much comes out. Jack up the car a bit higher on the driver/fill side and pump exact amount back in. This way you do not need to have the engine's hot exhaust burn your hands checking fluid level. You can do it cooled off. I did 4 drain and fills with 100 -200 miles between each. Made my own torx T40 bit in an offset 1/4 inch box ratchet wrench. I'm glad I did it, but it was a PIA. Would have been much better if somebody gave me a tip like the one I just did. Anybody else gonna try ? ( pre 2006 )

WillySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I had mine done at the dealer, where I work, and had them use my fluid, Amsoil Universal ATF. I'm glad I did it as well.

BMBSALES is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 10 CTS-V, 13 ESCALADE, 06 C6, YAM R1

Old fluid with 32K on it was black as night. Nice and cherry red now.
    Glad you had good luck, and i agree with the changing of trans fluid, but this is just a dye that starts to go away after a few good heat cycles.

M.A.C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-V8

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    There is a fill port higher up. Go to www.helminc.com and get a factory service manual before you do some damage.
    There are two plugs. The first is the drain plug on the bottom of the pan and the second plug is about half way up the transmission on the side at the rear. The side plug is used to refile the transmission. Fluid should reach right up to the plug if you're on a flat surface or lift. If jacked up on the left then make sure fluid is not overfilled since the angle will throw off fluid measurement. If there is a drip of fluid coming out of the side plug if vehicle is level, then it should be good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.