Do Magnetic Ride Shock units wear out or go bad? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Do Magnetic Ride Shock units wear out or go bad? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by dkozloski Alaska has a $40 Billion savings account and returns the earnings to the residents of the ...
    jimmbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts

Re: Do Magnetic Ride Shock units wear out or go bad?

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Alaska has a $40 Billion savings account and returns the earnings to the residents of the state. This year the checks to every man, woman, and child will be $1654. It goes to show what government can do for you if you know how. When Michigan was riding the gravey train they could have invested the money rather than pissing it away on welfare to people that won't work.
    Yeah they did give a piss pot of money away, to Corporations and their CEOs at the same time they were cutting taxes to the same group. Makes it rough for the workers that can't work cause there are no jobs to find and Social welfare had been cut to the bone in order to have money for Corporate welfare.

CaddyLackerz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo View Post
    Yeah they did give a piss pot of money away, to Corporations and their CEOs at the same time they were cutting taxes to the same group. Makes it rough for the workers that can't work cause there are no jobs to find and Social welfare had been cut to the bone in order to have money for Corporate welfare.
    Wow Jimmbo, I can't believe you are complaining IN A PUBLIC FORUM when we have ALL THE KOOLAID WE CAN DRINK! SSSSSHH!! Let the Dear Leader take care of these UN-AMERICAN comments lest we expose ourselves for the Communists we are. VERY SOON, they vill understand the FOLLY of their simplistic CAPITALISM! Vee must endure the job shortage until the greater good is DONE! There vill be bread and water for EVERYONE!!!

jimmbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyLackerz View Post
    Wow Jimmbo, I can't believe you are complaining IN A PUBLIC FORUM when we have ALL THE KOOLAID WE CAN DRINK! SSSSSHH!! Let the Dear Leader take care of these UN-AMERICAN comments lest we expose ourselves for the Communists we are. VERY SOON, they vill understand the FOLLY of their simplistic CAPITALISM! Vee must endure the job shortage until the greater good is DONE! There vill be bread and water for EVERYONE!!!
    Take out the word Communists and insert the word 'Fascists' then your statement will be accurate.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    $2k is DIRT cheap compared to the complex and expensive repairs on some German and Japanese cars with fully active suspension systems. Magneride is a fantastic bang for the buck, even when it breaks.
    Actually its about the same cost to repair on the Germans
    Mercedes Benz airmatic is about the same repair costs

However....what you might consider using the Lincoln Mark 8 mentioned here as an example

In a car that is worth lets say $4000 the average person cannot or will not invest $4000 into fixing the suspension

Case in point..how many Lincoln do you see that are "low -riders"..or how many Cadillacs from say the late 90 to early 2000 with the suspension warning lights on along with the check engine light

If the Benz airmatic goes out it gives the same "low rider" scene as the Lincoln...but when the car is worth 20-30K it probably has a better chance of being repaired

Warren

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ahuyghe View Post
    I certainly can answer that.
    They can and will fail.
    2007 Cadillac STS4, 59000 kms. discovered Failure 2010/06/28
    Both front shocks leaking.
    Replaced under warranty.

Al
    $980.00 ea plus labour to R+R
    Although it's an interesting and advanced system on paper, steer clear of it on a used car unless you have a totally unlimited warranty that truly covers it. It's always interesting to watch what GM employess will buy as their own personal cars and magnaride is never one of them. Since the 3.6 DI came out, N* is another one to stay away from.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

LOL..that's interesting

I have always thought Magride was one of those deals that sounded great on paper but never really seemed to add a whole lot in practice

Trouble is that its bundled in such a s way that you cannot get a fully optioned car without it

before I had the 05 ..I owned an 02 with Magride..and before that an 01 Aurora 4.0

I will tell you other than some body roll control the 02 with Magride wasn't a whole letter better handling than the Aurora with some generic Monroe replacement strut and shock replacements....especially whn you conder the replacement Monroe's cost about $1000( parts and labor) and the same job on the STS would have been $4000

Was the STS better..yes....but maybe to the tune of a $1500 total price...not $4000
    I traded the 02 before i thought it was time to do any suspension work...I was not going to pay $4000 for suspension work on a $4000 car

Warren

jm2121 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

I was gonna come on here to ask this question yesterday. I'm currently driving a rental 2010 Buick Lacrosse and I realize its brand new and all but how much smoother should it be than my 05 STS? I realized when going over the same bumps I always go over coming home from work (which are pretty bad) and barely feeling them in the Lacrosse. In my STS I actually slow almost to a stop over these spots because it feels like I'm gonna kill the rims. And I have the stock 17's on it nothing crazy.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I don't think you'd damage the 17" wheels unless you've fitted very low-profile tires (30-series or less). As far as ride, you're comparing GM's attempts to target the markets of BMW & Lexus (or thereabouts). That's more of a contrast than a comparison.

caddooo44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts

I have a 2006 sts with magnetic ride suspension. I just replaced the 2 front shocks and the upper control arms ( only because the upper shock mounts are attached to the upper control arms ). I did all the work myself and it wasnt very hard. Everything just unbolted fine. The only thing that was an issue was switching the spings from the old shocks to the new ones. I brought it to a local mechanic shop and they only charged me 90 bucks to switch the springs. I bought the oem replacment shocks from rockauto .com. they were $ 350 each which isnt bad. I hope this helps.

sjs05sts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

When I had my 05 STS in for a oil change the mechanical notice one off my front shocks leaking of course I had to replace both you know how that goes anyways it was around $1500 to replace both..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.