the upcoming releases from

Infiniti - new M45
Lexus - new GS
Acura - new RL
MB - new CLS
Chrysler - 300c

See less See more
#2 ·
Should be interesting. the RL may draw FWD fans from the midwest. the 300 may draw american rwd sedan fans, especially with the low price. The M45 i think will be the most head-to-head, i would be interested in seeing how its priced. It is a crowded market out there though, should be fun to see how it plays out. Benz will probably be too pricey to call a direct competitor, i still dont see how the CLS and E class are suppose to co-exist.

#3 ·
I think that they are all GAWD AWFUL UGLY, except for the Chrysler (which shoulda been named the Imperial, not 300c or is it 300M - or just 300?) The present Infiniti M45 is a masterpiece of elegant design and even balance, so they had to go and "egg" it too. They "egged" the Q45, and you see how terrible it is selling? I've seen like 5 or 7 of them in a year!!!!!

Soon they'll all look like eggs on wheels. I don't like any of these new "edgy-egg" designs, which is why I bought a Town Car. I can only imagine what FoMoCo will do to it, in 2006. :hide:

#4 ·
I actually wanted a 2002 Q45 more than anything but the cost of entry was a bit high. Coulndn't wait anymore a got a DHS. I like the exclusiveness of not seeing any of the Q's on the road but still having the 340HP to leave a lasting impression. I considered the 300c and would have maybee splurged to get into it, but when I saw it at the MT International Auto Show in January I was left unimpressed. It was probably because they had a base 300 model on the turntable...no leather, no chrome, 16'', no tortise shell steering wheel. Why didn't they have the 300c model on display? The base model looked pretty bad.

I agree the new q is pretty ugly but the performance and interior would help me look past it. The current M45 is has a weird grill going on but too it's performance can't be denied. The new M45 will do alot better.

I had an 03 town car for about a week...and it was pretty nice. The engine doesn't have very high output but I was able to entertain myself with a mustang. I also road across some coblestone streets and could have still sipped a cup of coffe. The LS is nice, considered one but was a little to small.

#6 ·
Sandy said:
I think that they are all GAWD AWFUL UGLY, except for the Chrysler (which shoulda been named the Imperial, not 300c or is it 300M - or just 300?) The present Infiniti M45 is a masterpiece of elegant design and even balance, so they had to go and "egg" it too. They "egged" the Q45, and you see how terrible it is selling? I've seen like 5 or 7 of them in a year!!!!!

Soon they'll all look like eggs on wheels. I don't like any of these new "edgy-egg" designs, which is why I bought a Town Car. I can only imagine what FoMoCo will do to it, in 2006. :hide:
I agree with everything said, although they already egged the Town Car a bit from the mid 90s models.

The STS sure isn't eggy, thats for sure. Neither is the Chrysler.

If I were in the market, I'd get the Chrysler/340hp hemi, or an STS V8. Can't believe they have a V6 STS, boooo.

#7 · (Edited)
:want: I think the only one to give the Caddy STS a run the money is the Infiniti.
The Merc is just plain ugly and clumsy looking in the rear-end. The Chrysler, well what can I say, it's Chrysler!..way over-designed. And I don't know if I can get anybody to agree with me on this one, but, does't the new RL look like the mazda-6 on steroids and a little extra chrome?...I don't know, would like to hear someone else's opinion. Oh and the GS is totally not even worth going into detail about, but I will any way. The car is just jelly bean boring (nothing really ground breaking on the design department)

#11 ·
I'll take that 4 door Maserati.

Seriously though, maybe I'm just a little too american or something, but the 300c and STS are the only two above that look attractive or unique to me. I love Mercedes' interiors, but the only exterior designs of theirs that I am drawn to are the sport coupes they make. Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti all suffer from 'me too' design in this category, and as such blend into everyone else on the road, and if I'm going to shell out this kind of money for a car, I want it to be noticed. The Chrysler, while getting points for creativity, still remains a Chrysler at the end of the day(that and it will soon be over-shadowed by the upcoming 4 door Charger). So my choice would end up with Caddy again(the STS looks much better in person than pictures and you can't go wrong with the Sigma chassis it would seem). Can't wait for the V version. :)

#12 ·
I do not think that the Chrysler will be a large contender; it does not have a recent reputation of making luxury cars. In my opinion the 300 is over styled and ugly, does not look like a luxury car. All of the others will just be the standard competition, but its not new competition the luxury performance sedan segment has been crowded the past several years. Cadillac will have its place as always and I think that even more people will be attracted considering the AWD and unbelievable amount of gizmos. I would also like to say that although I would not buy a V-6 STS that was a smart move on Cadillac’s part considering that MB and BMW all offer the V-6 and do very well. That’s my take on this.

#13 ·
Well I personly really like the STS and think it is well designed throughout. As for the Infiniti it looks great in the front, but if you have ever seen the back of it the lights are huge and ugly. The STS bigest competitor will probably be the Infiniti and the Lexus which is kinda awkward in the rear door area. Then there is the Chrysler which inside its not the most luxurios kinda simple with a ugly leoperd patterned wood, also the exterior is kinda bulky and not to classy. Oh and finally Lincoln should not be brought up on a Cadi enthusiaste site, Lincoln sucks.

#14 ·
The new Q and M are going to be good... I wouldnt buy the new Q for the styling, but for the technology, interior and features.....

Both of those cars, pictures dont do them justice... The new Q45 is a head turner no matter how many times you see it... It really sticks out, as in "bam here I am" and "I own you"... Much better in person.....

The new STS will be a big hit if they can pull off a decent first year, which cadillac isnt known for (They strike again with the CTSv and the oil issue)

#15 ·
elwesso said:
The new STS will be a big hit if they can pull off a decent first year, which cadillac isnt known for (They strike again with the CTSv and the oil issue)
:hmm:
The CTS-V sold out for 2004 (it's limited production). They are beginning production on the '05s in May I've heard...

The XLR (which also ran on a limited first year production)hasn't had a problem selling either.

The CTS sold over 37,000 units in it's first year. That's huge for a first year car in it's class. The 2004 numbers are shaping up to be far larger.

The only Art&Science Caddy that hasn't seen record breaking sales figures so far is the SRX, and that owes largely to the fact that they only produced the most expensive versions at first. Sales are steadily increasing on them now.

#17 · (Edited)
I like the 300C -- very attractive styling -- and not the "me too" style of the others. Can't beat the price either -- really shouldn't be considered a competitor of the STS. I haven't seen pricing on the 2005 STS yet but suspect it will finally top $60K fully loaded.

Ells

(Post Script -- I saw another posted that showed loaded price of $65K.)

PPS - I buy where I make my money -- the US -- which limits me to either Ford or GM -- and it's doubtful I'll ever own a Ford product

#18 ·
The 300C will definetly overshadow the STS

3 Weeks ago I had the opportunity to get inside the new STS and the new 300C in the New York Autoshow. I was really excited since it was the world premiere of the STS, I car i've always loved in every aspect, except being Front Wheel Drive. So when I knew the new STS is rwd, I was really looking forward to see the car, and maybe perhaps buy one when sale starts down here in Mexico. The exterior of the car is BEAUTIFUL, but I really got dissapointed when I got in. The interior quality and design is excellent, also. What was really dissapointing for me is the front leg space and the front seat. Although I tried finding a comfortable position I couldn't. In the passenger side it actually feels a little bit bigger that the CTS. Next, when I got to the Chrysler exhibition and I got inside the 300C I immediately fell in love with the car, (lots of leg space in both front seats) but I got even more excited when I saw the sticker price. With the luxurious and super comfortable interior (M-B style) a 340 h.p. 5.7 Hemi, this car is surely is going to be the new STS headache.
Just my 2 cents.

#19 · (Edited)
STS all the way, as i said a number of times, i sat in most of the cars you posted and i was impressed with the STS to say the least. maybe i'm toooo anti-rice to apreciate the Infinty but that new VVT 320hp RWD N* is going to kick serious a** :want:. and with the expected release of the '06 STS-V :worship: , the only place it's going to see them is in the rear-view mirror while being one of the most luxury choises too. while i love the 5.7L Hemi in the chrysler, but the caddy is just more comfy (had no problem with leg room and i'm 6'1"). the new features are amazing too: keyless entry and start, biggest LCD screen on the market, best magnetic ride controll, and the caddy sign is the best lookin of all IMHO.

#20 ·
Ever wonder why auto manufacturers can't be style independent ? If one comes out with an egg design they all will. If one squares it up with edgy styling they all follow suit. Someday I hope to see a car about 500 yards away and say "that's a Caddy" or "that's a Chrysler. Today you have to see the nameplate on half these cars to know who makes it. Take a quick look at the rear end of the Nissan or the rear end of the Saturn. Look familiar Caddy owners ?

#21 ·
It's called 'risk avoidance.' No one wants to be SO out there that, if the design doesn't catch on, they'll lose their job/take a beating, etc. There are billions of dollars at stake. Who can blame them?

Heck everybody does it. Been on a job interview lately? If your resume doesn't match EXACTLY what the written job description says, the HR person with throw your resume in the circular file.

It's life today.

Ells-

#22 · (Edited)
You got me on that one. A friend of mine used to say we all have to fit in little black boxes. Personally, I always tried to stay out of the norm. It made life a hell of a lot more interesting. To prove your point-------back in 1958 I bought a new Studebaker Silver Hawk. Nice 8 cylinder engine that would take just about anything on the road. Styling was and still is (my opinion only probably) way ahead of the pack. Well, long story short, it was a STUDEBAKER, the old farmers car. No one took them seriously when they tried to break away from their image and soooooooooooooooooo. Down the tubes they went. I just got a diecast model of the Hawk and look at it every day and say HOW COME !! Oh Yea! and how about that freaky looking AMC Pacer. God that was ugly. Woops----after the Pacer died it seems at least five other companies came out with a new innovative design which all really seemed to look like the Pacer.

#23 ·
Well it seems like the 300c has one up on the STS so far - as the big chrysler has won Motor Trend Car of the Year. The Mag made several direct references to the STS when summarizing the 300's attributes i.e. more cabin space, longer wheelbase but same overall length, and the price point simply couldn't be ignored. A loaded 300c for 35k is the deal maker/braker. Both manufacturers should be proud. They can now hold their heads high because they are attracting alot of new buyers with these vehicles and finally going in the right direction.

As far as the other competition, the RL is pretty much a dud as far as styling goes, but everything else about the car is a hit. But as the 300 has proven, good styling stires up so much emotion that it allows people to overlook many other shortcommings. The form and function debate has gone on for years but in reality, form is what gets noticed. If we all purchased vehicles from a function only perspective, we'd all be driving toyota's and/or lexi. It's like when you see a woman for the first time, you don't appreciate her personality or see her virtuousness and fortitude. You see form. The RL is the "butt ugly" woman that never nags, loves to cook, and makes six figures. She would make a good wife but the brainless cheerleader gets all the proposals.

The other three models the M45, CLS, & new GS still havn't been released yet. The CLS looks like my next car though...see it's the form.

#24 ·
Mitch3 said:
Ever wonder why auto manufacturers can't be style independent ? If one comes out with an egg design they all will. If one squares it up with edgy styling they all follow suit. Someday I hope to see a car about 500 yards away and say "that's a Caddy" or "that's a Chrysler. Today you have to see the nameplate on half these cars to know who makes it. Take a quick look at the rear end of the Nissan or the rear end of the Saturn. Look familiar Caddy owners ?
This is why I like to buy luxury cars that are about 3-5 years behind their current iterations, some of the older versions of todays cars are absolute gems. An excellent example of this is the 73-89 and 90-02 SL Class Mercedes, those two cars are a work of art, but the new one is egged.

Every car up there looks hideous except for the STS and the 300 (though I like the 300 less and less each day that passes by). The CLS is a complete joke, it looks more Japanese than German, and competes with an already solid class in the E, which makes no sense. The new M45 may have a nice motor, but the current one has the SAME motor, and looks like nothing else on the road, at least on our shores. The new one looks like an oversized G35 (though I have to give Infiniti credit for the FX SUV's, VERY awesome and different from the crowd). The GS... BLECH!! Whats with the roachback Lexus??!! And HOW could you forget the representitive of the BANGLE era at BMW... the NEW 5 Series? The new 5 Series is probably the STS' closest direct competitor, and this is typically stated in most comparisons.

Sorry, I dont like any of the cars in this class, quite frankly, of the imports the ACURA of all things is the most interesting. Then again, Im not a fan of many mid-class sedans in domestic or import. I tend to migrate to either entry level (CTS, 3 Series, C Class), or flagship sedans (S Class, 7 Series).

#26 ·
Face it, there's something for everyone. I think it's unfair to compare some of the cars you did but what the hell. I think the 300C is the car to beat but that's mainly due to it's price and the fact that the styling while originally risky, has seemed to win a spot in most people's hearts. Maybe the fact that it looks a good deal like a VERY expensive Bentley? Who knows?
The one I'm waiting for is the SRT-8 due out next year. Now THAT should be HOT!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.