Will the new STS be overshadowed by - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Will the new STS be overshadowed by in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I agree that Cadillac has vaulted itself directly into competition with MB, BMW, Audi and the Asian cars. I think ...
    Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Re: Will the new STS be overshadowed by

I agree that Cadillac has vaulted itself directly into competition with MB, BMW, Audi and the Asian cars. I think now its just a matter of time to see if the GM product has the staying power the the imports have always had. GM cannot rest on its laurels, it must strive to continually improve its cars. From what I have seen over the past 2 years from Caddy, I really believe they will stay at the top.

megeebee is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by harryctsv
    Hi Megeebee,

with the glass walls for my garage is an idea I never thought about! sounds good an as cruzy I´m I might do something like it, we`ll see.
    My big garage holds three cars, right now my XLR, my Vette conv. and my DTS is sitting there.
    laugh.... with these cars I got my own car-show here in germany, you can believe it.
    Thanks

Harry
    And hello to you Harryctsv;
    Your collection of vehicles is one I do envy. Take care of them! I would love to hear your comments of how these American cars are regarded by Europeans. Does everyone there think we're crazy?

1SICKLEX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Lexus GS 450h...others..

The STS has unfortunately gotten overshawdowed. No one is talking about it. The 300C offers the same if not better performance, size and distinctive styling for much less. The 300C seems to be embraced by the popular culture that embraced the Esclade. Every month some magazine has the 300C on it. Its like the new STS never even came out.
    Which is a same. The exterior is a love or hate thing but is very different. Caddy really needs to advertise the fact you can get AWD WITH the V-8 while others only offer AWD with the V-6. THings against it. Price. 68k for a loaded STS is nuts. You can get a loaded LS 430 for that. The interior seems to be no better than the previous gen STS (which was very nice).
    Acura RL is on C&D 10 best list, 300C has won car of the year. The STS is getting no attention.
    Another car getting no attention is the new Audi A6. Its like it the new version never came out.
    With the Lexus GS and Infintii M35/45 coming, the competition is very, very thick right now.

harryctsv is offline Banned

Hi Megeebee
    no, the americans are not crazy and many germans like the american cars
    but.....the german average engine is a 4 cylinder, so the first thing they say is
    "this V8s uses to much of gas"
    "too much on taxes and insurance - we pay by cubic inch and horses"
    "and till in the late 80s the cars was too big for most european roads"

well, for me I can tell I loved the us-cars when I was about 10 yrs. old.
    In the town where I live we got about 10.ooo us-soldiers and I saw in the
    60s-70s so many good looking CHEVELLE SS - PONTIAC GTO - OLDS 442
    BUICK GS - PLYMOUTH ROAD-RUNNER - IMPALA SS and more, and the love for us-cars is not gone.
    My first car was a 71 CAMARO 350 SS with a four on the floor.

My next new buy will be a CTS-V or an 05 STS

now don`t laugh!!!!! my daughter is driving a purple 2004 GTO - fathers steps!!!!!!

thanks
    Harry

it`s again me Megeebee

I know your gasoline prices run around $ 1,80 gallon, do you know what we pay for?
    1 Liter costs today arround Euro 1,10 that`s about $ 1,46
    one gallon is 3,78 Ltrs. so one gallon cost you here $ 5,52

and forgot to say that the new american V8s uses less gas than the german V8s.
    bye now
    Harry

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Sales is what drives most car companies, especially American car companies. But in MY mind, big sales numbers mean nothing. I love a car because of what it IS, not how popular it is, or how many are sold. Hell, the models with the highest, are usually the most bland. Vanilla cars sell more because they don't offend anyone's senses. They're bought by price mostly, and features secondly. Performance and styling are usually low on the check list for these buyers. I, on the other hand, specifically narrow my potential buying field down by those two points first, and then the test drive makes my decision for me. There've been lots of cars that I WANTED BAD, right up until I drove them ('03-'04 Mustang Cobra, and Infinite FX45 to name a couple).
    So pointing out that Cadillac's sales "obviously" points to their success, is post on me. Styling your whole line alike to reinforce ease of brand identification is a lame idea to me, even though it may help sell cars. This one reason I applaud many imports for their courage. The infinite line, the Lexus line, just to name a few are examples that I would use to show that your whole line need not look cookie-cutterish. The flip-side would obviously be the BMW or M-B lines. Virtually every car looks the same, and to me, that's just boring. It's like they only offer one car, just with different levels of trim and performance. BORING!!

CaddyFan2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
    ... THings against it. Price. 68k for a loaded STS is nuts. You can get a loaded LS 430 for that. .
    Not true. A loaded LS430 is $74k, and that's with no AWD, no MR ride system, and 30 HP less than STS.

Base MSRP* $55,675.00

Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee† $650.00

Available Packages $17,799.00
    • Ultra Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Additional Options
    - Ultra Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS)
    - Interior Upgrade Package with perforated semi-aniline leather trim
    - 18-inch all-season tires with Lexus Chrome Wheels
    - Preferred Accessory Package (includes Cargo net, Trunk mat and Wheel locks)

Accessory Options $0.00
    • Interior Upgrade Package with perforated semi-aniline leather trim Included
    • 18-inch all-season tires with Lexus Chrome Wheels Included
    • Preferred Accessory Package (includes Cargo net, Trunk mat and Wheel locks) Included
    • XM Satellite Radio® (see dealer)

Total MSRP** $74,124.00

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Anyone who confuses a C-Class Mercedes for an S-Class is an absolute twit, no offense but theres at least uhh... a foot+, LED Taillights, quad headlights vs. a single headlamp unit, sweeping roofline vs. somewhat staggered roofline...yea. The C class is crap compared to the 3 Series, and even the CTS for that matter. From the outside you can TELL the C Class is the CHEAP Mercedes for the Masses... yick.

With that out of the way, the Lexus is only 74000.00 loaded up because Lexus WANTS it to be. When the first LS400 came out in 1989 as a 1990 model, it was considered an absolute BARGAIN at 35000.00. As soon as Lexus caught on to the fact that the Yanks were scooping them up faster than mint chocolate chip at the local Baskin Robbins, they incrementally raised the price. Then in 2001 the LS REALLY got good with the addition of the Ultra Luxury package, which is the BIG reason the final jump from 50k luxury cruiser to 72k Luxury COMPETITOR WITH THE BIG GUYS happened. They threw in stuff other brands would not see for at least 4 more years (i.e... STS). Adaptive Laser Cruise Control, a refrigerator in the backseat, backseat LCD display and radio controls, heated and cooled front seats, Mark Levinson audio and Touchscreen Navigation, headlight washers, yada yada.. you get the picture.

In that sense, Lexus and Cadillac are very similar. Lexus went from 50k max to 72k max in one model year by adding a slew of options that justified the prestige and price of the highline model. Cadillac is in essence doing the same thing.

eamc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile Re: Will the new STS be overshadowed by

Re overshadowing: I do not know about looks, but I am impressed that all the possibly "overshadowing" cars are sufficiently retro not to offer both AWD and Adaptive Cruise Control. The Audi 8 and 8L is the only one that does, and their new A6 offers ACC in Europe but not in the U.S. You must give Cadillac credit for a complete assortment of truly new technology (ACC), unlike the stick-in-the-mud designs (technically) of yesteryear that don't even give you the option to purchase something you may want. Even Mercedes pulled ACC out of their E series, even BMW does not offer both nor does Lincoln.

Edwin M.

Smile Re: Will the new STS be overshadowed by

Regarding the "overshadowing" cars, looks are a question of taste, but I am impressed by the fact that they (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes E, Nissan, etc.) are all sufficiently RETRO not to offer both AWD and Adaptive Cruise Control (with the exception of the Audi A8 and A8L). You have to give Cadillac credit for offering a choice of new technologies (especially ACC) while so many other manufacturers have stuck-in-the-mud technology. Why not offer customers something that they may want?

Edwin M.

hi eamc,

I´m german and got a Audi dealer 2 miles away and I can tell you that no
    ACC on any Audi is available. Who told you this????
    You can`t even get it on the Audi W12 6 litre!

My XLR got it standard!

Harry

60 special is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    Anyone who confuses a C-Class Mercedes for an S-Class is an absolute twit, no offense but theres at least uhh... a foot+, LED Taillights, quad headlights vs. a single headlamp unit, sweeping roofline vs. somewhat staggered roofline...yea. The C class is crap compared to the 3 Series, and even the CTS for that matter. From the outside you can TELL the C Class is the CHEAP Mercedes for the Masses... yick.

With that out of the way, the Lexus is only 74000.00 loaded up because Lexus WANTS it to be. When the first LS400 came out in 1989 as a 1990 model, it was considered an absolute BARGAIN at 35000.00. As soon as Lexus caught on to the fact that the Yanks were scooping them up faster than mint chocolate chip at the local Baskin Robbins, they incrementally raised the price. Then in 2001 the LS REALLY got good with the addition of the Ultra Luxury package, which is the BIG reason the final jump from 50k luxury cruiser to 72k Luxury COMPETITOR WITH THE BIG GUYS happened. They threw in stuff other brands would not see for at least 4 more years (i.e... STS). Adaptive Laser Cruise Control, a refrigerator in the backseat, backseat LCD display and radio controls, heated and cooled front seats, Mark Levinson audio and Touchscreen Navigation, headlight washers, yada yada.. you get the picture.

In that sense, Lexus and Cadillac are very similar. Lexus went from 50k max to 72k max in one model year by adding a slew of options that justified the prestige and price of the highline model. Cadillac is in essence doing the same thing.
    You missed it on the 1990 Lexus LS. Japan is known as one of the first and worst offenders when it comes to predatory pricing. The LS was introduced in the U.S. at an artificially low price. The result, it became an instant competitor for Cadillac and Lincoln. The price did what it was supposed to do and that was to get people into the showrooms. Of course all the dealerships were brand new and absolutely stunning. The sales staff at these stores were highly trained in product knowledge and customer service. In one short year Lexus was on the map and they increased pricing over the next two to three years. You couldn't even think about buying that same Lexus in Japan for what it was being sold for here in the states. Our country is famous for letting foreign competition come in and buy market share at the expense of our own manufacturers. It happens in every industry now and the next disaster is being negotiated right now between the U.S. and China concerning textiles. Import quotas from China disappear 01/01/05. the Chinese are considering holding their quotas due to the possible retaliation by the U.S.

Exclamation Re: Will the new STS be overshadowed by

Hi Harry

Audi 2005 A8 and A8L both offer ACC. It is on page 37 of the 2005 booklet C-A8-05-003US. I have driven an A8L about 3 months ago and loved the ACC system, although it did not have as much brake action as Mercedes.

Edwin M.

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by 60 special
    You missed it on the 1990 Lexus LS. Japan is known as one of the first and worst offenders when it comes to predatory pricing. The LS was introduced in the U.S. at an artificially low price. The result, it became an instant competitor for Cadillac and Lincoln. The price did what it was supposed to do and that was to get people into the showrooms. Of course all the dealerships were brand new and absolutely stunning. The sales staff at these stores were highly trained in product knowledge and customer service. In one short year Lexus was on the map and they increased pricing over the next two to three years. You couldn't even think about buying that same Lexus in Japan for what it was being sold for here in the states. Our country is famous for letting foreign competition come in and buy market share at the expense of our own manufacturers. It happens in every industry now and the next disaster is being negotiated right now between the U.S. and China concerning textiles. Import quotas from China disappear 01/01/05. the Chinese are considering holding their quotas due to the possible retaliation by the U.S.

This behavior of Toyota buying market share is only possible because of their profitability. They're making more than GM and Ford put together by far and can afford to spend the excess cash on buying market share knowing full well that Americans are, for the most part, lemmings that follow the latest trend on anything. Of course, as I've said before, GM's biggest profitability problem is their pension. It's time to do something before it sinks them.

My greatest hope is that the Toyota Avalon becomes tomorrows Oldsmobile Cutlass which were found in every upscale american home back in the early 70's... my how times have changed.

Ells

cadillacchromer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by JefferyG
    Man that M45 looks great.. very aggressive. :coolgleam
    Doesnt it. That car looks sweet

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.