Will the new STS be overshadowed by - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Will the new STS be overshadowed by in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    harryctsv is offline Banned

Re: Will the new STS be overshadowed by

the 300 c against the new STS is a joke.

I didn`t had the chance to drive the new STS jet, but I drove the 300c here in germany for a two day test drive and can tell you this.

the build quality overall of the 300 c is terrible. the hemi engine is not bad but I had it here in the range 200 km - 250 (120-155mph) the engine feels sloopy. I know where Im talking about (my vette is super-strong - my xlr is strong) in that range.

All I can say, you really can feel the price difference from the 300c to the STS. 300c fully loaded in the us $ 38.000 - the STS about $ 62.000

the $ 24.000 is the difference of quality!!!

Harry

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I'm pretty sure the SRT-8 will cover those issues for you, and still be less money.
    As for the Cadillac's styling, I have to give them respect for taking a chance on the edgy styling of the CTS, but to then just basically copy that over and over on every other model Cadillac is cheap IMO.

60 special is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by harryctsv
    the 300 c against the new STS is a joke.

I didn`t had the chance to drive the new STS jet, but I drove the 300c here in germany for a two day test drive and can tell you this.

the build quality overall of the 300 c is terrible. the hemi engine is not bad but I had it here in the range 200 km - 250 (120-155mph) the engine feels sloopy. I know where Im talking about (my vette is super-strong - my xlr is strong) in that range.

All I can say, you really can feel the price difference from the 300c to the STS. 300c fully loaded in the us $ 38.000 - the STS about $ 62.000

the $ 24.000 is the difference of quality!!!

Harry
    I too would expect more quality and features for $24,000! But is it worth $24,000 to have a vanilla car? As I said before, you know what the 300 is from 50 yards away. You have to walk up to the STS to find out who built it.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

I dunno bout that , 100 yards away its a cadillac (none one else proudces stuff that looks like that) , but the problem is, is it a cts or sts ? just like katshot said , its hard to tell em apart

its nice looking , till you look at the front dead on , grille isnt wide enough ....the car appares to be a cts that was streched out like a ball of silly putty

Wink Re: Will the new STS be overshadowed by

hi katshot,

thats the way all car-makers do it now!
    Look, Audi a4/a6 or a8, they all look the same only each one is a size bigger.
    the same mercedes c e s-class over here in germany you see them so many and although I know all cars it`s somtimes hard to tell is it an a4 or a8 or
    a c-class or s-class (espencialy from front and rear)
    but the same is on compact cars, they all look the same
    opel astra - vw golf - honda civic - peugeot 307 i can go on and on.

I love the look of my XLR

megeebee is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by harryctsv
    hi katshot,

thats the way all car-makers do it now!
    Look, Audi a4/a6 or a8, they all look the same only each one is a size bigger.
    the same mercedes c e s-class over here in germany you see them so many and although I know all cars it`s somtimes hard to tell is it an a4 or a8 or
    a c-class or s-class (espencialy from front and rear)
    but the same is on compact cars, they all look the same
    opel astra - vw golf - honda civic - peugeot 307 i can go on and on.

I love the look of my XLR

....Absolutely correct! I'm kinda tired of reading posts that whine about the STS's resembalance to the CTS. As an owner of a CTS I would say "what better car to resemble?" The STS does not copy the CTS as closely as the three current Mercedes' C, E, and S do each other. I think the headlamp units are the only real difference between them, apart from overall size.

And if I were you, I'd install glass walls in my garage so I could look at my XLR all the time.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Sorry i wasnt saying its ugly , i like the way it looks (outside that grille)....Just wished it wasnt that close to the CTS in looks ....

put an XLR in a garage? shoot id kick the wifes coffie table out of the living room and park it there .......Has to be one of the most beatiful cars ever made .....

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee
    ....Absolutely correct! I'm kinda tired of reading posts that whine about the STS's resembalance to the CTS. As an owner of a CTS I would say "what better car to resemble?" The STS does not copy the CTS as closely as the three current Mercedes' C, E, and S do each other. I think the headlamp units are the only real difference between them, apart from overall size.

And if I were you, I'd install glass walls in my garage so I could look at my XLR all the time.
    I'm SURE you have no problem with a far more expensive car looking like yours but I'll bet the first time a guy with a $60K STS has someone ask him how he likes his CTS, he'll be more than a little upset.

No more upset than the man who buys an E class and gets asked how he likes his new "C".

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee
    No more upset than the man who buys an E class and gets asked how he likes his new "C".
    Never said that M-B was right now did I? Matter of fact, I believe I used them as an example of what I thought was wrong.

the Sandman is offline ...Reloaded
    Automobile(s): '05 XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    I'm SURE you have no problem with a far more expensive car looking like yours but I'll bet the first time a guy with a $60K STS has someone ask him how he likes his CTS, he'll be more than a little upset.
    I don't disagree with the premise that Cadillac Corporate could rethink certain aspects of their strategy, but if the STS is a great car, should it matter that it looks like a big CTS? You're not buying the Cadillac fleet, you're buying the STS. Shouldn't it sink or swim on it's own merits?

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    Never said that M-B was right now did I? Matter of fact, I believe I used them as an example of what I thought was wrong.
    I see your point. I meant no offense. But I must say that the near identical nature of the Mercedes sedans' designs hasn't hurt their sales at all.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

With strong offerings and a dash of new American patriotism, its down to the STS and 300C. The M45 will make a noticeable dent in Lexus and Acura sales.

Hi Megeebee,

with the glass walls for my garage is an idea I never thought about! sounds good an as cruzy Im I might do something like it, we`ll see.
    My big garage holds three cars, right now my XLR, my Vette conv. and my DTS is sitting there.
    laugh.... with these cars I got my own car-show here in germany, you can believe it.
    Thanks

Harry

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Here's my .02 on this debate.

I test drove the C series, BMW 325i and CTS for comparison. It was the first time ever I had test drove foreign cars with the intent to possibly purchase one.

After the test drives, I researched each vehicle by CR, Auto mags and online forums. The clear winner, imho, was the Cadillac. I was surprised that after all that, I would be drawn to an American car based on quality, reviews and owner comments.

First and foremost, Cadillac has to re establish it's brand image as world class engineering and world class quality. I believe that with the four new models it has released in the last 3 years, it has accomplished both goals. It's critically important for GM to now build upon the acknowledgement of the press and owners to aggressively promote this as a marketing strategy.

I think they realized that from the get go, which was the whole purpose of the A&S design philosophy. To now say that the cars all look the same misses the point. They have to all look like Cadillacs, so that the brand association is reinforced to the consuming public.

I'll agree that the STS should have been edgier, but the re-design can take the car in that direction in 4 years. The bottom line that will continue to sell these cars is the quality and the value that they bring to the segment that they compete in, and from what I can see Cadillac is nailing both.

As to the competition, all Japanese cars, with one or two exceptions, look bland to me. Even during Detroits lean years, they could out design the Aisans at every level.

I can't understand what MB is thinking. The Lexus is hideous, imho. As for the BMW 5 series, I used to hate it, but I've seen several in dark colors and I'm a fan of the design now. Since it took 2 years for me to get to like the CTS, that's not really a surprise.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.