Will the new STS be overshadowed by - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Will the new STS be overshadowed by in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i would narrow it down tot he 300C and STS...boy does that 300C look awsome in that pic! the war ...
    Mikethegreeat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Will the new STS be overshadowed by

i would narrow it down tot he 300C and STS...boy does that 300C look awsome in that pic!

the war of the sedans has BEGUN!!!!!

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

I like the 300C -- very attractive styling -- and not the "me too" style of the others. Can't beat the price either -- really shouldn't be considered a competitor of the STS. I haven't seen pricing on the 2005 STS yet but suspect it will finally top $60K fully loaded.

Ells

(Post Script -- I saw another posted that showed loaded price of $65K.)

PPS - I buy where I make my money -- the US -- which limits me to either Ford or GM -- and it's doubtful I'll ever own a Ford product

MEJIA is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

The 300C will definetly overshadow the STS

3 Weeks ago I had the opportunity to get inside the new STS and the new 300C in the New York Autoshow. I was really excited since it was the world premiere of the STS, I car i've always loved in every aspect, except being Front Wheel Drive. So when I knew the new STS is rwd, I was really looking forward to see the car, and maybe perhaps buy one when sale starts down here in Mexico. The exterior of the car is BEAUTIFUL, but I really got dissapointed when I got in. The interior quality and design is excellent, also. What was really dissapointing for me is the front leg space and the front seat. Although I tried finding a comfortable position I couldn't. In the passenger side it actually feels a little bit bigger that the CTS. Next, when I got to the Chrysler exhibition and I got inside the 300C I immediately fell in love with the car, (lots of leg space in both front seats) but I got even more excited when I saw the sticker price. With the luxurious and super comfortable interior (M-B style) a 340 h.p. 5.7 Hemi, this car is surely is going to be the new STS headache.
    Just my 2 cents.

Pimpin_Whity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

STS all the way, as i said a number of times, i sat in most of the cars you posted and i was impressed with the STS to say the least. maybe i'm toooo anti-rice to apreciate the Infinty but that new VVT 320hp RWD N* is going to kick serious a** . and with the expected release of the '06 STS-V , the only place it's going to see them is in the rear-view mirror while being one of the most luxury choises too. while i love the 5.7L Hemi in the chrysler, but the caddy is just more comfy (had no problem with leg room and i'm 6'1"). the new features are amazing too: keyless entry and start, biggest LCD screen on the market, best magnetic ride controll, and the caddy sign is the best lookin of all IMHO.

Mitch3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Eldorado

Ever wonder why auto manufacturers can't be style independent ? If one comes out with an egg design they all will. If one squares it up with edgy styling they all follow suit. Someday I hope to see a car about 500 yards away and say "that's a Caddy" or "that's a Chrysler. Today you have to see the nameplate on half these cars to know who makes it. Take a quick look at the rear end of the Nissan or the rear end of the Saturn. Look familiar Caddy owners ?

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

It's called 'risk avoidance.' No one wants to be SO out there that, if the design doesn't catch on, they'll lose their job/take a beating, etc. There are billions of dollars at stake. Who can blame them?

Heck everybody does it. Been on a job interview lately? If your resume doesn't match EXACTLY what the written job description says, the HR person with throw your resume in the circular file.

It's life today.

Ells-

Mitch3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Eldorado

You got me on that one. A friend of mine used to say we all have to fit in little black boxes. Personally, I always tried to stay out of the norm. It made life a hell of a lot more interesting. To prove your point-------back in 1958 I bought a new Studebaker Silver Hawk. Nice 8 cylinder engine that would take just about anything on the road. Styling was and still is (my opinion only probably) way ahead of the pack. Well, long story short, it was a STUDEBAKER, the old farmers car. No one took them seriously when they tried to break away from their image and soooooooooooooooooo. Down the tubes they went. I just got a diecast model of the Hawk and look at it every day and say HOW COME !! Oh Yea! and how about that freaky looking AMC Pacer. God that was ugly. Woops----after the Pacer died it seems at least five other companies came out with a new innovative design which all really seemed to look like the Pacer.

lowscola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS

Well it seems like the 300c has one up on the STS so far - as the big chrysler has won Motor Trend Car of the Year. The Mag made several direct references to the STS when summarizing the 300's attributes i.e. more cabin space, longer wheelbase but same overall length, and the price point simply couldn't be ignored. A loaded 300c for 35k is the deal maker/braker. Both manufacturers should be proud. They can now hold their heads high because they are attracting alot of new buyers with these vehicles and finally going in the right direction.

As far as the other competition, the RL is pretty much a dud as far as styling goes, but everything else about the car is a hit. But as the 300 has proven, good styling stires up so much emotion that it allows people to overlook many other shortcommings. The form and function debate has gone on for years but in reality, form is what gets noticed. If we all purchased vehicles from a function only perspective, we'd all be driving toyota's and/or lexi. It's like when you see a woman for the first time, you don't appreciate her personality or see her virtuousness and fortitude. You see form. The RL is the "butt ugly" woman that never nags, loves to cook, and makes six figures. She would make a good wife but the brainless cheerleader gets all the proposals.

The other three models the M45, CLS, & new GS still havn't been released yet. The CLS looks like my next car though...see it's the form.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch3
    Ever wonder why auto manufacturers can't be style independent ? If one comes out with an egg design they all will. If one squares it up with edgy styling they all follow suit. Someday I hope to see a car about 500 yards away and say "that's a Caddy" or "that's a Chrysler. Today you have to see the nameplate on half these cars to know who makes it. Take a quick look at the rear end of the Nissan or the rear end of the Saturn. Look familiar Caddy owners ?
    This is why I like to buy luxury cars that are about 3-5 years behind their current iterations, some of the older versions of todays cars are absolute gems. An excellent example of this is the 73-89 and 90-02 SL Class Mercedes, those two cars are a work of art, but the new one is egged.

Every car up there looks hideous except for the STS and the 300 (though I like the 300 less and less each day that passes by). The CLS is a complete joke, it looks more Japanese than German, and competes with an already solid class in the E, which makes no sense. The new M45 may have a nice motor, but the current one has the SAME motor, and looks like nothing else on the road, at least on our shores. The new one looks like an oversized G35 (though I have to give Infiniti credit for the FX SUV's, VERY awesome and different from the crowd). The GS... BLECH!! Whats with the roachback Lexus??!! And HOW could you forget the representitive of the BANGLE era at BMW... the NEW 5 Series? The new 5 Series is probably the STS' closest direct competitor, and this is typically stated in most comparisons.

Sorry, I dont like any of the cars in this class, quite frankly, of the imports the ACURA of all things is the most interesting. Then again, Im not a fan of many mid-class sedans in domestic or import. I tend to migrate to either entry level (CTS, 3 Series, C Class), or flagship sedans (S Class, 7 Series).

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by JefferyG
    Man that M45 looks great.. very aggressive. :coolgleam
    LOVE you avatar!! Where'd you get it? I have a lot of F-14 pics but don't think I've ever seen that one.

Face it, there's something for everyone. I think it's unfair to compare some of the cars you did but what the hell. I think the 300C is the car to beat but that's mainly due to it's price and the fact that the styling while originally risky, has seemed to win a spot in most people's hearts. Maybe the fact that it looks a good deal like a VERY expensive Bentley? Who knows?
    The one I'm waiting for is the SRT-8 due out next year. Now THAT should be HOT!!!

60 special is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

IMHO, Bob Lutz, the product czar from GM made a mistake when he had the design team tone down the edgy look of the STS just before it went into production. Look how successfull the CTS sales have been for the last two years. The STS would have a slightly more aggressive look if they he left it alone.

I see the 300c Hemi leading the pack right now in terms of looks, excitement and price point. When you see a 300, you know exactly what it is from 50 yards away. You can't say that about the STS and almost all the cars on the road today, unless you walk up to the car and look at the badges or if they retain the same grille design like Mercedes and BMW on different models. In 1986 when Cadillac downsized and destroyed two of its most beautiful models, the 1980-'85 Eldo and Seville you knew exactly what they were. People would say, That's a Cadillac! In 1986 they said That's a Cadillac???

Quote Originally Posted by 60 special
    IMHO, Bob Lutz, the product czar from GM made a mistake when he had the design team tone down the edgy look of the STS just before it went into production. Look how successfull the CTS sales have been for the last two years. The STS would have a slightly more aggressive look if they he left it alone.

I see the 300c Hemi leading the pack right now in terms of looks, excitement and price point. When you see a 300, you know exactly what it is from 50 yards away. You can't say that about the STS and almost all the cars on the road today, unless you walk up to the car and look at the badges or if they retain the same grille design like Mercedes and BMW on different models. In 1986 when Cadillac downsized and destroyed two of its most beautiful models, the 1980-'85 Eldo and Seville you knew exactly what they were. People would say, That's a Cadillac! In 1986 they said That's a Cadillac???
    And '85 for the Deville/Fleetwood.
    Cadillac, like many others has lost it's personality. They think that by making their whole model line look virtually identical, they're emulating marques like BMW and M-B but in my mind it was the wrong move. Hell, look at the case of the CTS/STS. Look at the two in a side by side comparison. They are SO close it's not funny. And then to make them LOOK virtually identical, it's just silly to me. What's the point?

Rauf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by ellives
    I like the 300C -- very attractive styling -- and not the "me too" style of the others. Can't beat the price either -- really shouldn't be considered a competitor of the STS. I haven't seen pricing on the 2005 STS yet but suspect it will finally top $60K fully loaded.

Ells

(Post Script -- I saw another posted that showed loaded price of $65K.)

PPS - I buy where I make my money -- the US -- which limits me to either Ford or GM -- and it's doubtful I'll ever own a Ford product
    The fully loaded STS's price is $68,330.

60 special is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    And '85 for the Deville/Fleetwood.
    Cadillac, like many others has lost it's personality. They think that by making their whole model line look virtually identical, they're emulating marques like BMW and M-B but in my mind it was the wrong move. Hell, look at the case of the CTS/STS. Look at the two in a side by side comparison. They are SO close it's not funny. And then to make them LOOK virtually identical, it's just silly to me. What's the point?
    I couldn't agree more. Why is Cadillac chasing the Europeans and trying to follow their lead? Why not set your own course? Take a gamble like Chrysler did with the 300.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.