Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Noise from the Cargo Area

14K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  DCnative 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 srx New. Had about 3 weeks. It seems like there is a lot of noise from the back of the vehicle. Is it cargo window noise? Is it just the other windows in the back. Is it the windows overhead. The car has a LOT of glass... Is it lack of insulation on the car. Don't get me wrong, I like the SRX... It just seems noisy from the back when I drive. Don't see any tears on rubber seals. I came from a STS with a back seat and trunk to filter outside noise. Any thoughts... Thanks

G
#2 ·
I had a lot of wind noise also. The gap between upper edge of lift gate and roof panel need a gasket seal.
Give your dealer this # PI0786 Liftgate Upper Sealing Strip Noise Aug 20 , 2012. It really cut out lot of noise
I thought by now they put this on all new models.

strip

#3 ·
I had a lot of wind noise also. The gap between upper edge of lift gate and roof panel need a gasket seal.
Give your dealer this # PI0786 Liftgate Upper Sealing Strip Noise Aug 20 , 2012. It really cut out lot of noise
I thought by now they put this on all new models.p
If it's wind noise this is a good first 'likely cause'. With a certain combination of highway speeds and a strong quartering wind mine almost sounds like someone blowing across the top of a bottle, it's a very distinct sound.

I've heard of other complaints about this also.

Thanks for the reference, going to have my dealer look into it at the next service.

#4 ·
We had a noise from the rear. It turns out that if you fully recline the rear seats they rattle slightly. If you bring them back one setting from fully reclined... no noise. I thought it was just our vehicle but someone else mentioned this as well.

#5 ·
I have experienced the same issue with a rattle in the rear seat of my 2012 Performance when the passenger side rear seat is reclined back that one position. Frustrating that the same issue occurs with our 2011 Equinox. Hmmmm. Maybe Cadillac has fixed this issue in the newer models. So whenever someone travels in the back seat I tell them to recline the seat for comfort and then prop it back in the upright position for normal travel. Is this a common problem with other SRX owners or do you just lump it into the normal creeks and noises that we are so used to hearing?

#6 ·
Hello Aurora 5000,

I’m sorry to hear about the excessive noise coming from the back of your SRX. It looks like you’ve already received some feedback from other forums members on a possible solution, and I would be happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf. If you are interested, please PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership name, and personal contact information.

Enjoy your weekend,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#7 ·
Rear hatch rattles / squeaks. I had this problem on my 2010 Premium and now on my 2013 premium. I confirmed the following my rolling up 2 shop towel's, placed one on the left under where the strut sits near the tail light and one on the right. I rolled them just enough so the hatch would close, had to put some pressure on the hatch for it to close properly. Wala, no more noise. I see there are no rubber grommets at all to keep the hatch quiet like a wedge. Any ideas on how to stop this annoying squeaking rattle?

#8 ·
Wish I had the answer for you. I have the same creak/squeak in the hatch of my 2012. Makes a creaking noise when turning at low speeds. I guess the twist on the body causes it. It seems to go away at higher speeds, or at least you can't hear it. Tried silicone lubricant on read seal, tried adjusting hatch. Didn't work.
Thankfully, no wind noise though.

Phil

#9 ·
Ok, just finished some more testing and have a possible solution. I confirmed its hatch related. Not the Plate on the hatch but the hatch itself. Last week I made an adjustment to both plastic shims on the sides of the hatch. I loosened the screw and moved the shim out one more click / indent, as well as put some grease on them. I did this for both, took a short drive and the noise was totally gone. When I got out of the store and took a ride home, the noise was back. Fast forward a week. Tonight I took two small shop rags, placed one on the floor t the left of the latch and one on the right of the hatch. Closed the hatch and it immediately reversed because of the blockage. I then closed the hatch again and put pressure on it while it latched and it took. I went on another test drive hand the rattle/squeaking was totally gone. Waited a few hours and drove again, still gone. So to confirm it was the hatch, I took out the rags and it was back again.
So the next step I again loosened both shims again and was able to move them almost another 1/4 of inch, maxed out. Closed the hatch and took it fro a drive, squeak was still there, so on one of the shims, I loosened the screw and wedged some rolled up tissue between the two pieces to make the shim stick out more and secured. I only did this to one of the shims and took it for a test drive and it worked. I will see if it stays for a few days. If so, I will bring it back to the dealer and have them replace the shims. If its still there after they replace the shims, I will put a small washer underneath and problem will be solved. I will keep the post updated. Hopefully this will help someone else. I lived with this on my 2010 for so long, I hated it.
Again, quick way to test is the rag....:)

#11 ·
Its not the seats, adjusted both shims. Depending on weather, it may be great for a day then the problem is back. Adjusting the shims only worked for a short time. If I place the shop rags to the left and right of the bottom latch and push the hatch closed so it will not reverse, it is nice an snug and the noise is gone. It is something going on with the design, had it on the 10 and now on the 13. Very annoying. Next trip to dealer will be interesting, not sure what more they can do other than the 2 shims.

#12 ·
Interesting test, still had the squeak over small bumps and quickly rocking wheel at very slow speeds. Both shims were maxed out and had grease on them. So, today I loosened the shims and slid them back, even with the base. Noise gone.... Will test again tomorrow and update.

#17 ·
Following Nice Ride's lead, I decided to back the shims all the way off. This seems contrary to logic, but like him, my squeak is gone! In my case, I backed them off as far as they can go which is beyond the base. I had previously had them at every notch from even with the base to all the way out without any success. It has only been one day, but it is completely quiet now. Hopefully, this will last.

Phil

#20 ·
OK, Update! Squeak came back a bit. So, I removed the Shims, they were set all the way back, no difference with them off. So I kept digging, while poking around, I rubbed my finger in the bottom silver latch and it had the sound I was hearing. It was not loose, just the weird squeaking resonating sound. So, put some grease on the latch and the bottom loop. Sound totally Gone!!!:yup:
Will check it again in the next few days to confirm. Don't mess with the shims, just put some heavy grease on the Silver latch! I think it is important for the shims to keep the hatch snug.

#37 ·
OK, Update! Squeak came back a bit. So, I removed the Shims, they were set all the way back, no difference with them off. So I kept digging, while poking around, I rubbed my finger in the bottom silver latch and it had the sound I was hearing. It was not loose, just the weird squeaking resonating sound. So, put some grease on the latch and the bottom loop. Sound totally Gone!!!:yup:
Will check it again in the next few days to confirm. Don't mess with the shims, just put some heavy grease on the Silver latch! I think it is important for the shims to keep the hatch snug.
...I am a little late to this discussion but just wanted to confirm I had the same creaking noise in the rear cargo area on my 2016 SRX. Following your advice in lubricating the latch and adding vasoline to the metal loop. Creaking noise gone. Hope this confirmation helps anyone else experiencing this annoying sound.
Grille Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim
Hood Automotive lighting Sculpture Grey Automotive design

#24 ·
phunter1, I agree! For smiles and giggles, put some grease or Vaseline on the silver latch. Also, move the rear seats opposite where you have them currently. If they are reclined, put them in the up position or all the way down and see if the noise goes away. Also, remove the rear storage shade and check again. One by one, you may get lucky. I'm glad the shims helped.

G
#25 ·
I had a rattle that drove me crazy. What I found it was the cover on the door that is behind the rear arm rest. I wegded a piece of cardboard in between the door and the frame and problem solved. Could be your issue too. Good luck.

#28 ·
Had the annoying noise in my 2014 SRX for first nine months; in the rear cargo area! Well today; I found it! Had my Son back there while I was driving. He disconnected the rear cargo shade; (that pulls out) and the noise is gone, gone! Not a tweet in the vehicle now! Made my day!

#29 ·
SD...Glad it worked out for you. My noise is from the door and not sealing properly. I hear there is a fix for wind noise. Just haven't taken it in.
PS...with all of the trouble I hear about, I AM NOT opening the sunroof glass. On cloudy days, I retract cover. It is a shame nearly EVERY vehicle makes has a big hole in the ceiling. What happen to hardtops???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.