Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Broken Rain Sense?

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  79666 
#1 ·
So the 2011 Cadillac SRX Premium AWD w/ Turbo very clearly has broken Rain Sense wipers. Regardless of the sensitivity level I put them on, the wipers simply will not turn on, even in a downpour.

Since I bought the car a week ago I called the dealer in south Boston to (200 miles from me. But I wanted a specific trim pack in black at a certain price) ask and they said to bring in and they'll fix for me (I don't have bumper to bumper anymore). But I also have an appt with my local dealer to get an estimate. I thinking if it's less than $200 I'll just pay locally and avoid the hassle of the long drive.

Any price estimates including labor?

#4 ·
Out of warranty so the miles don't matter (41,000). It's 90 days out of the 4-year bumper to bumper warranty. Yes, the dealer who sold to me will fix it. But that's not my question. lol I know they "should" fix it for free and I know they will. I got it a week ago. My question is what the average repair cost is going to run me for this? The dealer I bought it from is 2-3 hours away (one way). So if it's less than $200 to fix, with the cost of gas, and my time, I'll just pay to fix it with the local Cadillac dealer. Yes the DIC says "Rain Sense on" but the wipers won't turn on when in rain sense mode. They do work otherwise, but not with rain sense.

#6 ·
Rainsense™
For vehicles with Rainsense:
INT (Rainsense Wipe Sensitivity
Control): Move the windshield
wiper lever to INT. Turn the INT
band on the wiper lever to adjust the
sensitivity.
. Turn the band up for more
sensitivity to moisture.
. Turn the band down for less
sensitivity to moisture.
. Move the windshield wiper
lever out of the INT position
to deactivate Rainsense.

I hope the OP is putting the stalk into INT position.

#7 ·
I thought mine had also broken but then took a deeper look and found I had somehow parked the windshield wiper arm in the off position rather
than the very lowest position which allows the dic to show a message that the rain sense is on upon start up. They work well and increase with
the vehicle speed and the volume of rain. Just remember to move the arm back to the off position when entering an automatic car wash.

#8 ·
FYI - Mine turn on for rain, and auto adjust for rain intensity. The manually specifically reminds you to turn off if you go in a car wash or they will auto start up on you.

Are you original owner? If not, previous owner may not have used a OEM windshield if it was replaced. I have heard the sensor is finicky WRT windshield glass, or it may have not been reinstalled (bonded) correctly to the back of the glass.

Max

#9 ·
Don't worry about the car wash. The system is smart enough that if the car is moving slowly in neutral, it won't start the wipers. I just leave mine on at all times and let it take care of me and itself. Never give it a thought. It rains, they start. It stops, they stop. This may be the feature that works best on the whole car.

Ken

#10 ·
Kmohler said:
Don't worry about the car wash. The system is smart enough that if the car is moving slowly in neutral, it won't start the wipers. I just leave mine on at all times and let it take care of me and itself. Never give it a thought. It rains, they start. It stops, they stop. This may be the feature that works best on the whole car. Ken
By leaving the wipers on all the time, doesn't it trigger your headlights to turn on after 30 seconds? Are you driving around with your headlights on all the time?

#11 ·
How would one get the DIC to say Rain Sense On without having the wipers on the INT setting? Doesn't that obviously mean they're in the appropriate setting? Rain sense should turner wipers on (when in the right setting) and adjust the sensitivity. My issue is that it could be monsoon, Rain Sense will be set to "on"and the wipers won't move whatsoever. As I understand it, there are four settings for the control.

1. Bottom - off.

2. Next level up puts car into Rain Sense On mode. Which does nothing for me, regardless of the sensitivity. I can turn the dial up or down and spray a hose at the windshield, they simply won't turn on. Ever.

3. Next position up turns wipers on in low mode. Works fine.

4. Top position turns wipers to high. This works fine as well.

I saw a bunch of explanations saying to turn wipers to INT for Rain Sense to work. Can someone explain how you can possibly get the DIC to display "rain sense on" without the wipers being set to the INT setting (next level up from the bottom, which is off). I'm obviously on the right setting of I can turn the rain sense on and off, then adjust sensitivity. Correct?

#12 ·
Theroider said:
By leaving the wipers on all the time, doesn't it trigger your headlights to turn on after 30 seconds? Are you driving around with your headlights on all the time?
No, the headlights only come on if the wipers are actually running for awhile. Just having the system "armed" doesn't turn the lights on. My car is a 2012 premium. YMMV.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.