Emergency Brake while driving.... Someone wanted to know.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Emergency Brake while driving.... Someone wanted to know. in Cadillac SRX Forums; So I had a 2014 loaner today while they try to fix my Radio and OnStar. If you pull up ...
    Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 ESV Platinum / 2010 SRX Premium

Cool Emergency Brake while driving.... Someone wanted to know.

So I had a 2014 loaner today while they try to fix my Radio and OnStar. If you pull up on the Emergency button quickly and release while driving, nothing will happen except hear a quick click as if the E brake were going to engage. If you Hold Up on the button the E-Brake will engage, but as soon as you let go, it will release automatically.
    allgm likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Re: Emergency Brake while driving.... Someone wanted to know.

I was told by the salesman who sold me my 2010 that after the emergency brake is set you just drive off either in drive or reverse and the brake is designed to release itself, why would you engage the brake while driving...............maybe in a complete emergency to try and stop but would that not interfere with the ABS braking system?

JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Ride View Post
    If you Hold Up on the button the E-Brake will engage, but as soon as you let go, it will release automatically.
    Does it lock up the tires when it engages? I'd be hesitant to use this electronic emergency (more aptly named "parking") brake while the vehicle is in motion as there is apparently no way to modulate the braking force like with a mechanical parking / emergency brake (or is there?). I use mine only when parking on a slope to avoid tension on the transmission park pawl.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

So why would you deliberately try to tear up a loaner. Not good enough for you that they will give you a loaner, just try to do whatever you are afraid to do to your own car. When you get your own car back, why don't you try all of those type of things out on it and then come cry to us that GM makes a bad product and won't stand behind it. Loser

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBzSRX
    Does it lock up the tires when it engages? I'd be hesitant to use this electronic emergency (more aptly named "parking") brake while the vehicle is in motion as there is apparently no way to modulate the braking force like with a mechanical parking / emergency brake (or is there?). I use mine only when parking on a slope to avoid tension on the transmission park pawl.
    Some years ago in defensive driving class, I was told to practice using the parking brake in place of the service brakes in case of failure. It was explained that this system was purely mechanical and a good back up. With the electronic application, there is no longer a way to do this effectively.
    SRG963 likes this.

Dear Poneyman,
    1. No I did not tear up the car..... 2. I wanted to be safe in this beat up loaner car that was given to me, should the brakes / engine suddenly fail. 3. So, to be safe I tested the banged up SRX they gave me as a loaner (4 Road rash Rims, Dents and scratches on all four sides, Heavily Smoked in, still had part of a cheeseburger in the passenger door and what looked like Crumb cake on the passenger seat and the floor. ( and no Poneyman, I never drove in this loaner before, just in case you had that thought...) At least the drink in the center console was just a coke. 4. The pressing of the emergency brake should " Not tear up any car "

Oh, this was after the Rental company the dealer uses said they would have a car for me in 15 min., well 3 hours later they found this Junker and said don't worry about the gas, this is all we have. Also, I took the baby straight to the Car Wash and dropped $20- to clean up the Girl as best as they can to keep GM products looking good. I drove with the windows down all the way to the Car wash just to get the stink out from the prior driver, I think I even thru up in my mouth a bit from the stench. Side note that also led to this Safe Test, the Radio and all its defects that GM has in most 2010's, is the one I had. The dealer was so insistent that they do not need to replace the Radio, that they just need to flash a software update. So, left my car so they could do the Flash fix ... and guess what, they have to order a new radio.... So, the next day I get a ride back to the dealer and leave with no fix and have to wait for the Radio to come in, driving home I noticed the OnStar flashing red, so I hit the button and was informed by OnStar that the OnStar unit will not function in a crash and that I need to bring it back to the Dealer that damaged it while flashing the radio, you think that the dealer would have notified me that they damaged the OnStar when they tried to fix the radio....... Well, 2 weeks later the Radio arrives and I was told it will take 1 hour to do the swap and get everything working. Made the appointment for the first car in, after 45, min. it was still in the lot. 10 min later they took it in, 2 hours later they tell me that the new radio is bad and onstar is bad ( that was working before they touched it ) and that they will get me a loaner car since the radio and parts of the dash are removed. 2 hours 45 min for no radio repair, and an additional 3 hours for the Junker loaner. (P.S. I had asked them to just drop me off, I did not want a loaner....)

Soooo....
    I drove the speed limit to a safe stretch of road, used just for the purpose of testing the Emergency brake button. Made sure no People, Pets or animals of any kind were in the area. Also made sure no one was behind me, in front of me, to the Left or Right of me. To be extra safe, I turned off my phone so I would not get distracted during the SAFETY test.

1. The first test was to just pull-up on the button 1/2 sec. while coasting around 30MPH. Just a chime, and click. No activation.
    2. Second test was to hold the button for a little longer 1 sec. The brakes quickly applied very smoothly then released.

Since i'm a looser, I decided to do some additional testing for the other members that are interested, as well as I did 2 special test's just for you....

3. Third test was holding the Emergency Brake button coasting at 30MPH, the brakes were applied very smoothly until the car came to a complete stop. Let go or the button and drove away, the brakes immediately released.

So, be confident that should a emergency arise, you can e safe to know that the Emergency Brake button is your friend and nothing to be afraid of.

Doing the test several times in a row, did at times make a loud clunk while the brakes were releasing after the button was let go.

Special Test for Ponyman: ( You know you want to do this, just afraid to admit it )

I parked the Loaner car at a friends house, I made sure the dents and stench did not offend anyone and took my friends 2014 SRX FWD car for this special test this evening, oh and he was in the car during the test.

We drove over 150 Miles to get to that Special test area for Emergency Brake Testing, after looking for the usual People and Pets thing, we proceeded...

Drove 50 MPH, Pulled up on the button and held it till the car stopped. Again, very smooth, nothing abrupt.
    NOTE: While the Ebrake button is held, the Rear Brake lights go on automatically so you do not get Rear ended, Nice one GM, well made!

Final, Final Test for Ponyman, while driving 30MPH, held ebrake button, and mashed the gas to the floor.......... The car would limit the Rev's to a safe state, and the car would slow down but not stop.... Once the button is released, all is normal. Very well designed Ebrake system.

Disclaimer: No Tires, brake pads, small animals or insects were injured in any way during the above testing. I do not recommend or endorse anyone try any of the above unless in a life threatening situation.

Now, if GM can just fix those darn Nav Radio's and none of this would have ever happen!

----------

No lock up during testing.

----------

Dealers comments are correct about the auto release. All the above you mentioned is correct about Emergency use only.
    allgm, TheCaptain, ladypro and 2 others like this.

1. The first test was to just pull-up on the button 1/2 sec. while coasting around 30MPH. Just a chime, and click. No activation.
    2. Second test was to hold the button for a little longer 1 sec. The brakes quickly applied very smoothly then released.
    3. Third test was holding the Emergency Brake button coasting at 30MPH, the brakes were applied very smoothly until the car came to a complete stop. Let go or the button and drove away, the brakes immediately released.

Doing the test several times in a row, did at times make a loud clunk while the brakes were releasing after the button was let go.

Drove 50 MPH, Pulled up on the button and held it till the car stopped. Again, very smooth, nothing abrupt.
    NOTE: While the Ebrake button is held, the Rear Brake lights go on automatically so you do not get Rear ended, Nice one GM, well made!

.... while driving 30MPH, held ebrake button, and mashed the gas to the floor.......... The car would limit the Rev's to a safe state, and the car would slow down but not stop.... Once the button is released, all is normal. Very well designed Ebrake system.

No lock up during testing.

Dealers comments are correct about the auto release. All the above you mentioned is correct about Emergency use only.
    Good info, thanks. So while you may not be able to control the braking force, the e-brake at least does not simply clamp hard on the binders and lock the tires resulting in an un-controlled skid (at least on dry pavement....might behave differently on slippery stuff). The upside is that the rear brake lights come on when applying the e-brake, and release automatically when attempting to drive off preventing burn-up of the brake pads (something most mechanical e-brake systems don't do). Seems like a fair tradeoff.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV
    Quote Originally Posted by Nice Ride
    Dear Poneyman, 1. No I did not tear up the car..... 2. I wanted to be safe in this beat up loaner car that was given to me, should the brakes / engine suddenly fail. 3. So, to be safe I tested the banged up SRX they gave me as a loaner (4 Road rash Rims, Dents and scratches on all four sides, Heavily Smoked in, still had part of a cheeseburger in the passenger door and what looked like Crumb cake on the passenger seat and the floor. ( and no Poneyman, I never drove in this loaner before, just in case you had that thought...) At least the drink in the center console was just a coke. 4. The pressing of the emergency brake should " Not tear up any car " Oh, this was after the Rental company the dealer uses said they would have a car for me in 15 min., well 3 hours later they found this Junker and said don't worry about the gas, this is all we have. Also, I took the baby straight to the Car Wash and dropped $20- to clean up the Girl as best as they can to keep GM products looking good. I drove with the windows down all the way to the Car wash just to get the stink out from the prior driver, I think I even thru up in my mouth a bit from the stench. Side note that also led to this Safe Test, the Radio and all its defects that GM has in most 2010's, is the one I had. The dealer was so insistent that they do not need to replace the Radio, that they just need to flash a software update. So, left my car so they could do the Flash fix ... and guess what, they have to order a new radio.... So, the next day I get a ride back to the dealer and leave with no fix and have to wait for the Radio to come in, driving home I noticed the OnStar flashing red, so I hit the button and was informed by OnStar that the OnStar unit will not function in a crash and that I need to bring it back to the Dealer that damaged it while flashing the radio, you think that the dealer would have notified me that they damaged the OnStar when they tried to fix the radio....... Well, 2 weeks later the Radio arrives and I was told it will take 1 hour to do the swap and get everything working. Made the appointment for the first car in, after 45, min. it was still in the lot. 10 min later they took it in, 2 hours later they tell me that the new radio is bad and onstar is bad ( that was working before they touched it ) and that they will get me a loaner car since the radio and parts of the dash are removed. 2 hours 45 min for no radio repair, and an additional 3 hours for the Junker loaner. (P.S. I had asked them to just drop me off, I did not want a loaner....) Soooo.... I drove the speed limit to a safe stretch of road, used just for the purpose of testing the Emergency brake button. Made sure no People, Pets or animals of any kind were in the area. Also made sure no one was behind me, in front of me, to the Left or Right of me. To be extra safe, I turned off my phone so I would not get distracted during the SAFETY test. 1. The first test was to just pull-up on the button 1/2 sec. while coasting around 30MPH. Just a chime, and click. No activation. 2. Second test was to hold the button for a little longer 1 sec. The brakes quickly applied very smoothly then released. Since i'm a looser, I decided to do some additional testing for the other members that are interested, as well as I did 2 special test's just for you.... 3. Third test was holding the Emergency Brake button coasting at 30MPH, the brakes were applied very smoothly until the car came to a complete stop. Let go or the button and drove away, the brakes immediately released. So, be confident that should a emergency arise, you can e safe to know that the Emergency Brake button is your friend and nothing to be afraid of. Doing the test several times in a row, did at times make a loud clunk while the brakes were releasing after the button was let go. Special Test for Ponyman: ( You know you want to do this, just afraid to admit it ) I parked the Loaner car at a friends house, I made sure the dents and stench did not offend anyone and took my friends 2014 SRX FWD car for this special test this evening, oh and he was in the car during the test. We drove over 150 Miles to get to that Special test area for Emergency Brake Testing, after looking for the usual People and Pets thing, we proceeded... Drove 50 MPH, Pulled up on the button and held it till the car stopped. Again, very smooth, nothing abrupt. NOTE: While the Ebrake button is held, the Rear Brake lights go on automatically so you do not get Rear ended, Nice one GM, well made! Final, Final Test for Ponyman, while driving 30MPH, held ebrake button, and mashed the gas to the floor.......... The car would limit the Rev's to a safe state, and the car would slow down but not stop.... Once the button is released, all is normal. Very well designed Ebrake system. Disclaimer: No Tires, brake pads, small animals or insects were injured in any way during the above testing. I do not recommend or endorse anyone try any of the above unless in a life threatening situation. Now, if GM can just fix those darn Nav Radio's and none of this would have ever happen! ---------- No lock up during testing. ---------- Dealers comments are correct about the auto release. All the above you mentioned is correct about Emergency use only.
    Thank You for the detailed write up and exhaustive testing.
    allgm likes this.

zwiefela is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Dear Poneyman...
    Post of the YEAR!!! Good work, Nice Ride.

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

Now what happens if you have an electrical failure, and need to stop your vehicle? Mechanical link would work, this ebrake would not.

I think the ebrake is not a good idea.
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumkk View Post
    Now what happens if you have an electrical failure, and need to stop your vehicle? Mechanical link would work, this ebrake would not.
    This would be a double-fault scenario, very unlikely two independant systems fail simultaniously. You'd have to have BOTH your normal (hydraulic) brake system fail at the same time an electrical system failure takes out the e-brake.

You could make the same argument for a mechanical emergency brake system if the cable (or any one of the numerous mechanical links within) snaps. Unless all of the systems are designed with redundancy built-in, you will be susceptible to single-point failures in any single system. In the case of the "emergency brake" system, it acts as a rundandant backup for the primary brake system. About the only component that is common to both the primary (hydraulic) and redundant (emergency) brake systems is the pads that actually clamp on the rotors. This is exactly the same situation regardless if the emergency brake system is electrical or mechanical.

Thanks for the feed back and additional comments for our members! Ponyman, next week I'm going to try a Neutral Drop if I can get my hands on another loaner

Indy_Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance Collection

Am I the only one disappointed that Ponyman has not responded?

Uh.... I think he borrowed his moms car to test the E-Brake thing a ma bob..... He was spotted driving to the Special Location 150 Miles away....

Update on the Radio, well, they Replaced it and they also said the Antenna Base for OnStar needed replacement. It was fine till they touched the radio... But, its fixed! No more Washington DC....

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Nice Ride, don't be prodding other members.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.