fw: Cadillac is among the most hackable cars
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By njacobsen
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, fw: Cadillac is among the most hackable cars in Cadillac SRX Forums; http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...t_?source=cwgp...
    ngrigoriev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium

fw: Cadillac is among the most hackable cars

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...t_?source=cwgp

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

Re: fw: Cadillac is among the most hackable cars

The most telling paragraph in the article:
    "Miller and Valasek didn't physically test the vehicles cited in this year's report for vulnerabilities, relying instead on information about the vehicles' automated capabilities and internal network."

"We can't say for sure we can hack the Jeep and not the Audi," Valasek told Dark Reading. "But... the radio can always talk to the brakes" because both are on the same network.

That is a very revealing statement about the depth of the analysis.

The real reason for the article:
    The two researchers also revealed a prototype device that could thwart vehicle hacking. Their intrusion prevention device plugs into a vehicle's OBD-II port, watches data traffic on a car's internal network and then blocks any anomalies.

They are trying to create a market for the device by planting the roots for fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
    TheCaptain likes this.

MI-SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare

Quote Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
    They are trying to create a market for the device by planting the roots for fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
    +1. It's call FUD. Probably got the idea from an ex-IBM marketing manager from back in the '70s/'80s ("Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM.").

ngrigoriev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by MI-SRX View Post
    +1. It's call FUD. Probably got the idea from an ex-IBM marketing manager from back in the '70s/'80s ("Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM.").
    I usually respect the findings published at BlackHat. I would not expect them to publish the detailed instructions and link to the downloadable installaller of "HackMyCar 2000" However, the point is valid: the modern cars with all the telematics and connectivity methods there are probably at the same level of security as servers 15 years ago. I mean no offence to any specific car manufacturer, but if you look at the software quality of the multimedia systems on most of the cars you may guess that not too much was invested in making them secure. I bet that in many cases the thought was "who would be so crazy to do that?"

Specifically in Cadillac, the system is CUE, based on Linux. It accepts the memory cards and USB keys, automatically mounts them and can read some data. I remember the fun I had playing with custom POI files on the SD card. I bet CUE can also read a number of other "magic" files from these media volumes and do something special. Also, like in many embedded system, there may be some debug code left by mistake - again, it can be used to exploit the system. And because the software updates are so difficult and infrequent, these original bugs may stay in some cars forever.

I believe that even the readings from the TPMS may be used to exploit the system - I mean faking your sensors signals. How the system will react if TPMS starts sending the signal 1000 times a second instead of the normal rate? Or if the value exceeds the range that was expected by the software developers?

With the amount of personal information the modern cars store and the variety of communication methods offered (wifi, bluetooth...) the safety issues will start popping up very frequently in the coming years.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by ngrigoriev View Post

I believe that even the readings from the TPMS may be used to exploit the system - I mean faking your sensors signals. How the system will react if TPMS starts sending the signal 1000 times a second instead of the normal rate? Or if the value exceeds the range that was expected by the software developers? ...
    TPMS system and the Stabilitrack system will go offline and throw a DIC code(s).
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.