Noise not sure if it's related to needing new brakes..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnnyBzSRX
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Noise not sure if it's related to needing new brakes.. in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    cadigirlchicago2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Noise not sure if it's related to needing new brakes..

Hi Everyone!

I know this is a total shot in the dark but I figured Id post anyways. So my 2010 has just over 81,000 miles. I replaced the tires in the fall but they told me brakes still were okay. Last time I took the car in for a tire rotation they told me next rotation I will definitely need new brakes. This past week I have noticed a ton of road noise. It sounds like a low sound noise, similar to the sound when you are at the airport on those grooved pieces of cement and the car makes that weird sound when you go over them, its sorta like that. I just had all of the spark plugs replaced about 2 months ago. Could it be a transmission issue? Youd think the light would come on if it was. The sound is constant when Im on the gas or brake, makes no difference. I tried looking on line, it said it could be related to the brakes or possibly something else in that area, maybe a cracked rotor? Anyone have any ideas? I know, it could be anything, just hoping maybe someone had something similar around the time you needed new brakes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Re: Noise not sure if it's related to needing new brakes..

The sound is constant when I’m on the gas or brake, makes no difference.
    When exactly does this "low sound noise" occur? Only when the vehicle is in motion (but not accelerating / decelerating)? Only when applying brakes? Only when accelerating? Some combination? All the time? Does the frequency of this noise go up and down w/ vehicle speed (or engine RPM)?

If it really occurs all the time, regardless if your are accelerating, braking or just cruising along at speed, I'd suspect it may be wheel bearings or something else in the driveline (half-shafts, maybe?). If it occurs only when braking, then I'd suspect the brakes are grinding on the rotors, new pads and rotors are probably needed. If it occurs only when accelerating, I'd suspect something in the driveline (half-shafts, transmission). 81,000 miles is pretty long for the original brakes, and its not unheard of for wheel bearings to go bad by then. Half-shafts usually are good for 100,000 miles unless the rubber boots have been damaged and the lube has leaked out.

Hi!

It's all the time. Are bearings covered under the warranty or no?

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 ESV Platinum / 2010 SRX Premium

To help you the most, I think JohnnyBz needs all the answers to a l l the questions for him and anyone else to really assist you better. Vague on the answers will get you the worst results. It may take a few back and fourth Q & A, but the people on the forum are great!

JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Quote Originally Posted by cadigirlchicago2 View Post
    Hi!

It's all the time. Are bearings covered under the warranty or no?
    OK, are you sure its not the new tires? Are they a different type/brand that the previous set of tires? You'd have to ask your dealer if your warranty (still) covers the bearings, but to be sure before you cross that bridge, need to rule out tires. Some are noisier rolling down the road than others. Might also consider getting an opinion from an independant mechanic before taking it to the dealer.
    TheCaptain likes this.

Got the tires in the fall and this noise just started happening within the past 7 days. It's pretty consistent, on the gas, off the gas, brake, no brake it's the same. No different on a left or right turn. I guess I'll just see what they say on Saturday when we take it in for the brakes. I'm taking it to NTB, they did the tires and we were pleased, hopefully they do a nice job on the brakes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.