2014 SRX warning honk when closing trunk and getting in car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zl700
  • 1 Post By ngrigoriev
  • 1 Post By mnmjack
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2014 SRX warning honk when closing trunk and getting in car in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    FLCadillacGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

2014 SRX warning honk when closing trunk and getting in car

I currently have a 2012 CTS coupe and just picked up a 2014 SRX luxury trim for my fiancé. My question is about the SRX every time my fiancé opens the trunk and then closes and opens the drivers door to get in the car the car has two quick honks almost like a warning honk. Does anyone know what could cause this so I can disable it or ask how to disable it. Maybe it's something she's doing but either way it's. Little annoying. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

Re: 2014 SRX warning honk when closing trunk and getting in car

I have the same issue, 2014 premium. Although mine sounds like a triple beep, like a remote left in vehicle warning. I can't figure out how to get it to stop.

Honks only happen if another door is open when hatch closes, not if the other doors are closed.

Max

Zl700 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS-Vsport
    There are two different honk warnings one to warn you key is in or near car and the other is you exited the car with it running. The first you can turn off in convenience settings, the latter you can't because it's required to warn you that the engine is still running. This is to try to warn you that you may be leaving it running in a enclosed area such as a garage. Call the triple beep an idiot honk.
    TheCaptain likes this.

ngrigoriev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium
    I have the same issue and I already complained to GM (and in this forum). GM was unable to provide a reasonable answer. They told me to go to the dealer to fix that. I see little point going to the dealer for that. First of all, that's where I asked about it in the first place And they could not do anything. Second, this is not an issue with my individual car, I looks more like one of these design mistakes. There is a bunch if them in this car. For now I have to follow certain protocol - do not keep doors open when closing the trunk. Also activating passive lock does help a bit - if the doors are closes and you close the trunk it will just lock the car quietly without waking up the neighbors.

Movinon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Performance

When I got out of the driver's side and walked around to open the passenger door so my wife could hand me our dog there would be 3 loud beeps before I got half way around the SRX. It would startle me every time.
    I found a place in the settings to eliminate the annoying beeping, but don't recall what I did.
    Tom

SRXyz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Mine is a 2012 and it does that very rarely. I haven't been able to identify the different hatch and door opening and closing conditions that would cause it. I have disabled the key reminder pretty much as soon as I got the car and verify that it has not changed.

There are three instances of triple honk:
    1. Leave vehicle with vehicle running and take the key.
    2. Leave vehicle with key inside.
    3. Some sort of combo of closing the hatch while having another door open. I'm still trying to figure out the cause/combo that causes this. I think it has to do with opening the hatch with the remote without first unlocking all the doors, then closing it with another door open. Just speculation at this point.

Turning off the 'remote left in vehicle' warning (# 2) does nothing to quell either of the others.

Max

srxycaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX4 PERFORMANCE (Mocha Steel Met. / Shale Brownstone)

Ours behaves oddly as well. When by myself I'll pull the handle, open the door and take a seat (with the FOB in my pocket). Right after I close the door it does the multiple beeps. If I start the car before closing the door then it's silent.
    I think I'll replace the FOB battery first and then do some testing to see when and how this happens. It's the wife's car so I'll have to "schedule" seat time.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Please note all GM vehicles 2014+ with Passive Entry now honk when the key leaves the car, the ignition is on, and any door is opened or closed. This cannot be disabled.

All 2010+ GM Passive Entry vehicles have a 'key reminder' when the vehicle doors (or hatch) are opened, then closed, and the key is detected in the vehicle, and the ignition is not started within (approximately) 10 seconds of the door closing. This is the key in vehicle reminder (because it's what's happening, just sometimes you are inside with the key) and the ignition hasn't been started yet. Disabled via 'key left in vehicle' reminder honk in the settings.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

@TheCapitain - I have been discussing the silly problem described in this thread (and others - including one thread I have created few months ago) and this has nothing to do with the "key left in the vehicle" use case. So, NO, disabling that "key left in the vehicle" does not fix it. I've been telling it to GM, it took them a while to understand. Finally I talked to somebody who appeared like "level 2" in their customer support - i.e. the guy who actually did have some knowledge about the vehicle, not just doing the search in the user manual for me He admitted that it does sound like a problem with the alarm system and suggested to talk to the dealer. This went nowhere because the dealer has already given up on trying to understand the problem. And I have somewhat given up on trying to find a solution after confirming that all 2014 cars seem to have this issue.

And, no, the ignition is not on but it will still honk This appear like a reminder about the door left open. And we've tried it with one fellow forum member who has 2013 vehicle - his car did not make the annoying "chirp".

How to reproduce: stop the engine, leave the car, leave any door open. Imagine you have people leaving the car at this time, taking the baby from the car seat etc. You open the trunk, then close it while one of the doors is still open. Beep-beep-beep! This is silly. I mean - it is OK to remind me about the door left open, but it is not really needed to let the entire neighbourhood know that one idiot who arrived late at home does not know which button to press on his car Because that's exactly what I would think about it myself hearing this honking late at night or early in the morning. If GM wanted to make this feature right, they should have installed a separate small speaker module for making these "proximity alarm sounds" intended only for the car's owner, not for the entire street. Then a quiet beep-beep would be appropriate But it seems to me that GM has gone the "cheap" way of adding the features without thinking about the quality of life.

Honestly, for me this is probably the most annoying design issue with this car. Which is, actually, good - the issue is definitely not life-threatening Although...that probably depends on the tolerance level of the neighbours

blacksrx4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX4 Black in Black Premium

You can also reproduce the triple honking just like FLCadillacGuy fiancé scenario.
    While all the doors locked, open the trunk and put your stuff.
    While the trunk is closing, open the driver door to get in...........a triple honking will occur.

The Fixed:
    Wait till the trunk door closed and then open the driver door to avoid waking up the neighbor.

This usually happens to me when I'm in a rush going to work early AM and putting all my stuff in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksrx4 View Post

The Fixed:
    Wait till the trunk door closed and then open the driver door to avoid waking up the neighbor.
    Yes. I have to do the same. I.e. avoid having any doors open while closing the trunk. I can hardly call it a fix, more like a workaround The thing forces human's change in behaviour for no valid reason

But seriously, GM, it is all controlled by software. I am sure a software fix and, probably, an additional configuration option would do.
    Maximumkk likes this.

Confirmed it. Opening hatch without first unlocking doors causes honks when hatch closes and driver's door is opened before the hatch latches. Only work around is to wait for hatch to latch before opening door, or unlock doors with remote then activate hatch to open. Turning off 'remote in vehicle reminder' does not disable the hatch close door open honking.

Max

mnmjack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Luxury Glacier Blue Metallic; Lt. Titanium/Ebony

Hey Captain: Just wanted to say your new ATS is beautiful! Makes me drool.....
    TheCaptain likes this.

FLCadillacGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    Thanks all for the earlier suggestions but like everyone mentioned at the end there is no fix accept to wait till the trunk is fully latched (maybe it's my OCD but come on Cadiilac you're better than that). My third Cadillac and this is really the only dumb item I have run into. Thanks again all for the responses.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.