2011 SRX Wheel Bearing Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2011 SRX Wheel Bearing Issue in Cadillac SRX Forums; Ok, so we have just over 52k miles on the AWD SRX and after a set of new tires the ...
    Lilracr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

2011 SRX Wheel Bearing Issue

Ok, so we have just over 52k miles on the AWD SRX and after a set of new tires the front wheel bearing is making noise......

Who else has had the same issues? Just a couple months ago at 49k miles the strut bearings were replaced. Is this a sign to come of constant issues and problems we will have with this vehicle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

robonymous is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Re: 2011 SRX Wheel Bearing Issue

We had to replace the driver side front wheel bearing hub on our 2010 at about 60,000 miles. I thought it was tire noise so got new tires. The shop that put on the tires told me about the bearing being bad.

That is the exact same series of events we have gone through, ours is also driver side. What was your resolution, have you had any issues since? Not really planning to keep a vehicle that has bearing issues every couple years!

Its really aggravating that you think you are buying quality (paying quality money) and end up with issues that we should not have until well over 100k miles.

robonymous is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

I just checked the records and it was at 60,500 we had the bearing replaced September, 2013. Most of the cost was covered by a 3rd party warranty I purchased. No issues since, but the vehicle only has 67,000 miles on it now. We don't travel much, but when we do we usually take the wife's 2001 Jaguar. One trip with so much noise that conversation became near impossible was just about enough for us.

btk301 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

My 2012 driver side bearing replaced at 20000 miles also

dallyalley is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had the same problem at 60k and it is foolish to think that "these type of issues aren't expected until over 100k" as someone posted above.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilracr View Post
    Ok, so we have just over 52k miles on the AWD SRX and after a set of new tires the front wheel bearing is making noise......

Who else has had the same issues? Just a couple months ago at 49k miles the strut bearings were replaced. Is this a sign to come of constant issues and problems we will have with this vehicle?
    Hello Lilracr,

I apologize for these unexpected repairs you have encountered with your SRX. I can understand how upsetting repeat trips to the dealership can be. If this is something you would like to discuss further, please send us a PM including your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership.

Jonathan A.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by dallyalley View Post
    I had the same problem at 60k and it is foolish to think that "these type of issues aren't expected until over 100k" as someone posted above.
    I posted this comment above, now let me ask you...... Are you happy to spend $600 on each wheel bearing that goes bad after 52k miles? If you are happy about that then I would guess $600 every 2-3 years is pocket change.

I know my wife and I bought this vehicle "thinking" it was built with higher quality parts than the typical lower priced GM crossover. I guess I was totally wrong about thinking logically!
    Indy_Mike likes this.

Update on the repair.
    I bought an AC Delco (FW 397) I hope that uses a decent bearing. The install was the easiest I ever did due to the lack of age and low mileage. Drive it and everything is quiet.
    Still a bit frustrated in OE part failing at such young age, but we will see how this one and the others last.

JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Quote Originally Posted by Lilracr View Post
    Its really aggravating that you think you are buying quality (paying quality money) and end up with issues that we should not have until well over 100k miles.
    I know my wife and I bought this vehicle "thinking" it was built with higher quality parts than the typical lower priced GM crossover. I guess I was totally wrong about thinking logically!
    Please show me any car that consistently goes 100k miles with NO servicing required on the front wheel bearings. I've owned my share of various makes models and every one of them required some servicing of the front wheel bearings between 50-100k miles, be it inspection and re-packing them with grease, or replacement if its a sealed unit (as most are these days, especially on FWD/AWD vehicles).

And since the SRX uses the same "platform" as "lower priced" GM crossovers, why would you think the bearings used in the front on the Cadillac version would be of "higher quality" than those used on a Chevy or GMC? They use the SAME parts. The days when Cadillac engineered their own mechancial components ended back in the '70s with the death of the 472 and 500 ci V8s. Other than sheetmetal and interior components, the mechanicals are shared across GM divisions. If you have an issue with the quality of mechanical parts in your Cadillac, its a GM issue, not a Cadillac issue. The price premium you pay for a Cadillac is for the higher level of luxury in the bells and whistles department, NOT in the mechanical reliability department.

zwiefela is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Are wheel bearings not covered under the 5 yr / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty for 2011 models? I know that they were explicitly covered on my 2007 Pontiac, but that changed a few years later for newer models.

I checked the Cadillac warranty, and it states:

"DRIVE SYSTEMS
    Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, front differential actuator, supports, seals and gaskets."

Wouldn't that include the wheel bearings?
    SRG963 likes this.

SRG963 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUX

Yes, hub bearings are covered under the 5y/100k powertrain warranty.

seedmanfl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 srx

Is this wheel bearing issue happening to the awd models or does it cover both?

Indy_Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance Collection

Quote Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
    Yes, hub bearings are covered under the 5y/100k powertrain warranty.
    Which leads me to believe that Cadillac expects them to at least last that long!
    Nice Ride likes this.

JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Quote Originally Posted by Indy_Mike View Post
    Which leads me to believe that Cadillac expects them to at least last that long!
    You would think. However, even assuming all bearings are created equal, realize that the life of all wheel bearings is going to vary depending on many variables (climate, driving habits, terrain, etc). This will cause their lifespan to vary on roughly a "bell curve", some lasting more than others, but the majority will fall towards the middle of the "bell". In the quest of minimizing overall cost, manufacturers have to trade off bearing quality and warranty period. At some point within that "bell curve", it will be cheaper to cover the few that fail under warranty and the rest will outlast the warranty. Its penny wise and pound foolish to spend money on the utmost quality / rated component just to eliminate ALL pre-warranty failures.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.