Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, SRX 2013 Adaptive Cruise malfunctuions in Cadillac SRX Forums; I love adaptive cruise. I have owned this functionality since 2005 with a 2005 XLR and continued with it in ...
- 07-05-14 05:24 PM #1Cadillac Owners Member
- Automobile(s): 2013 SRX, 2009 XLR
- Join Date
- Mar 2013
- Southeastern PA
SRX 2013 Adaptive Cruise malfunctuions
I love adaptive cruise. I have owned this functionality since 2005 with a 2005 XLR and continued with it in my 2009 XLR. So when my wife needed a new car we searched around for various brands that incorporated this technology. With Caddy experience I settled on the 2013 SRX platinum with the tech package and was initially impressed that the adaptive cruise would come to a complete stop (The 2009 XLR adaptive cruise cuts out at 20 mph). However, my enthusiasm quickly faded when I started to notice 2 critical issues:
1. There are many instances where the adaptive cruise control actually forgets that there is a car in front. This does not involve anything like changing lanes -- it is simply a case of following at the normal gap setting (I usually use medium) and then notice that I am approaching the car in front too rapidly even though the dashboard reports that it realizes a car is in front. It is necessary for me to take control with a fairly strong push on the brakes. THIS COULD BE QUITE DANGEROUS. While this does not happen all of the time, it does occur frequently enough that my left foot is positioned very near the brake pedal just in case. This NEVER happens on my XLR.
2. It does not have the "look ahead" range of the XLR. This is especially apparent when entering a highway with the adaptive cruise control set at 65, for example, so it attempts to attain that speed but does not notice until too late that the car in front is actually slowing. My XLR would have picked up that situation way before the SRX does and could have slowed to match the speed of the car in front. The SRX picks up the car too late with too great an approaching speed where the user has to take immediate control. AGAIN, THIS COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS.
I have asked Cadillac service to take a look at the unit to make sure that it is programmed correctly. They only could report that it is programmed correctly to factory specifications. I have specifically asked that the next time a district engineering representative is in the area that he take a drive with me to see firsthand these issues. I wonder if Cadillac is aware of these issues.
- 07-05-14 09:43 PM #2
I've had other issues with how the cruise is programmed. My issues are reported in several other threads (some started by me). The adaptive cruise will apply the brakes unexpectedly if I increase cruise speed and attempt to set cruise at a newer speed...
- 07-05-14 10:29 PM #3
Re: SRX 2013 Adaptive Cruise malfunctuions
I never quite understood the appeal of these systems. In order to DRIVE you should always be in control of the vehicle and not the other way around. These systems should be used as a safety net in case of a momentary "brain fart" and not rely on them to make decisions for us. It's easy to allow the car to make decisions for you, but that's not driving.
These systems are taking us 1 step closer to automated driving, and I for one don't like or trust these systems. I LOVE driving , if you don't I suggest riding the bus.
Sorry for the rant, I hope GM sorts their system out; after all I'd hate to be rear-ended by someone fully trusting their car to make the right call.
- 07-06-14 11:58 AM #4
Re: SRX 2013 Adaptive Cruise malfunctuions
While the Adaptive Cruise is pretty awesome (though it needs some tweaks), I do like it, even though I am a 'Driver'. I feel it can take over the monotonous driving and leave me refreshed for when the action needs to happen!
Also bmclachlan, your first issue sounds like your Forward Radar Range Control Module might be having some issues. It's the one the vehicle uses to sense the long range (10-12 car lengths) items.
+ Reply to Thread
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts
- PowerTorque Tools - Ratchet Wrench Set
Ratchet Wrench Set - 7 Piece; Metric
- PowerTorque Tools - Long Arm Hex Key SAE
Long Arm Hex Key SAE - 13 Pcs SAE Long Arm Hex Key Set; With Storage Container
- PowerTorque Tools - Ratchet Handle & Socket Set
Ratchet Handle & Socket Set - 14 Piece; 1/4" Drive Ratchet Handle & Metric Socket Set