OnStar Price is Way Up!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, OnStar Price is Way Up! in Cadillac SRX Forums; I just received a renewal notice for OnStar. I currently have D&C Plan and like being able to use the ...
    300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

OnStar Price is Way Up!

I just received a renewal notice for OnStar. I currently have D&C Plan and like being able to use the Remote Link app. I have a navigation unit in the car, so I don't use the turn by turn directions. I seem to recall this plan being under $300 annually. My renewal has the price at $322.92 or $32.30 per month. That's just nuts! Is it possible to receive a lower rate? I really can't see paying this exorbitant amount, and I don't want to bother with the S&S Plan for $214.92. That's still alot for what you get imo. I would like to keep my current plan, but am looking for some sort of discount. Hello Cadillac Reps...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SRXyz is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: OnStar Price is Way Up!

You probably need to call and threaten them with cancelation. Too many companies force you to do this song and dance if you want decent rates.

MI-SRX is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare

I just checked the OnStar web site and the S&S plan is $199/yr and the D&C is $299/yr - both are 'plus tax' which will explain your renewal price (a 7.5% tax in NY?).

As has been pointed out you'll have to call them and beg, plead, promise your first born, or threaten to cancel to get them to offer something different.

If it makes you feel any better (probably won't) XM/Sirius is the same way. Both companies have a captive clientel and monopolize their markets so they don't feel any need to make it easy for you to save money.
    TheCaptain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MI-SRX View Post
    I just checked the OnStar web site and the S&S plan is $199/yr and the D&C is $299/yr - both are 'plus tax' which will explain your renewal price (a 7.5% tax in NY?).

As has been pointed out you'll have to call them and beg, plead, promise your first born, or threaten to cancel to get them to offer something different.

If it makes you feel any better (probably won't) XM/Sirius is the same way. Both companies have a captive clientel and monopolize their markets so they don't feel any need to make it easy for you to save money.
    I both know and do this with XM. All I do is call call them at renewal time and say that I want to cancel. When they ask for a reason I state that it's too expensive. They come right back with a lower rate and I accept that one. Some try and break them way down. I'm not much for negotiation. With OnStar I would imagine it's not so simple. I guess you are correct on the $299 plus taX. Still I will miss OnStar, but at that rate I will not renew. I may call to ask for a reduction and see what happens. Really any reduction would be good. The full rate should be reserved for the lazy and last minute folks. Those who pay early for the whole year should get a break imo

----------

Quote Originally Posted by SRXyz View Post
    You probably need to call and threaten them with cancelation. Too many companies force you to do this song and dance if you want decent rates.
    A sad business model. They should reward loyal customers who pay in advance and in full.

MI-SRX is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    ...They should reward loyal customers who pay in advance and in full.
    Actually they are, or at least think they are (not that I think their prices are reasonable). The 'per month' charge for D&C is $29.90 which works out to $358.80/yr.
    TheCaptain likes this.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

I finally had enough of Sirius XM and OnStar pricing. And I absolutely HATE having to call up and haggle. Having to haggle to buy a car in the first place is enough but to have to do it for the bells & whistles too? I'm just fed up and not going to do it anymore.

I have been driving for approx. 41 years and never had the need for anything remotely resembling OnStar. As for Sirius XM, well, there are so few stations on the thing that I actually would listen to that I gave up on it. I hated how often the songs repeated and that I had no control over it other than push the button and be bored. I use Spotify on my Android phone and plug into the Aux-In jack and can listen to anything I want from millions of songs of every genre. This all for $10.81 (tax included) per month. I have it on my phone, my computer, my Roku, and my iPad.

Why can't car mfgrs just give us an in-car screen so that we can just plug (or wireless) our phones into our car and be done with their antiquated systems?

Google maps is far more current than even the latest GM map update.
    woodytwo and SRXyz like this.

njacobsen is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

I pay $20.97 (incl tax) per month for the OnStar Safe & Sound for the confidence I have while on the road. The most irritating part about OnStar is the "required" purchase of minutes to renew the minutes previously purchased and never used. I only want 100 or less minutes for emergency use if my cell phone does not have a signal. I must talk with a couple of representatives before getting to one who will renew the existing minutes for an additional year at no charge.

I like the weather and traffic from Sirius XM and subscribe to just those components for $6.28 per month (incl tax).

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I finally had enough of Sirius XM and OnStar pricing. And I absolutely HATE having to call up and haggle. Having to haggle to buy a car in the first place is enough but to have to do it for the bells & whistles too? I'm just fed up and not going to do it anymore.

I have been driving for approx. 41 years and never had the need for anything remotely resembling OnStar. As for Sirius XM, well, there are so few stations on the thing that I actually would listen to that I gave up on it. I hated how often the songs repeated and that I had no control over it other than push the button and be bored. I use Spotify on my Android phone and plug into the Aux-In jack and can listen to anything I want from millions of songs of every genre. This all for $10.81 (tax included) per month. I have it on my phone, my computer, my Roku, and my iPad.

Why can't car mfgrs just give us an in-car screen so that we can just plug (or wireless) our phones into our car and be done with their antiquated systems?

Google maps is far more current than even the latest GM map update.
    Stevec-OnStar is a form of insurance. Just because someone doesn't file a claim, doesn't mean it's not needed. Basic OnStar provides piece of mind for many drivers. I have this debate in my head all the time, but there is a benefit to the system. While XM doesn't do it for everyone, I find it to be something that's very enjoyable enough of the time to warrant a subscription.
    Marc NY, calif phil and crump13 like this.

SRX-MTL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

For sure I will not renew after my 1st year trial period. In Canada, S & S is CDN$ 332.28 per year (With taxes) and D & C is CDN$ 503.59 !!! It is more if you pay monthly with a credit card ($344.28 & $550.56)
    woodytwo and zerdian1 like this.

ngrigoriev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium

No way I am going to pay them for this service anything above ~$200/year. This is a rip-off. Even BMW in Canada charges about $200 for ConnectedDrive.

norman52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

I dropped it also. They couldn't even email me the car status. I had to go to the web site and get the information.
    Took the payment cut it by 2/3 and haggled with XM and listen to Music instead.

Quote Originally Posted by norman52 View Post
    I dropped it also. They couldn't even email me the car status. I had to go to the web site and get the information.
    Took the payment cut it by 2/3 and haggled with XM and listen to Music instead.
    Speaking of...I have never received that email that was promised to me. Although I do not regret too much - there would be nothing in this email that I would appreciate. Oil life, tire pressure...other bullshit that I know about anyway. Also, the oil life reported by On* mobile app is always off by 2-3% comparing to what the dashboard shows and the information on the Web is off by 5% because it is almost 2 week old.

I have made a mistake - I have provided On* the credit card number when activating it. I asked them later to remove the credit card number and cancel auto-renewal. Got an email saying "we are sorry about your decision to cancel your OnStar account".

What a bunch of incompetent people running this service...And they want to charge a lot for it. Mobile app has a few nice features but the value and the price do not match.

When my free year is over I am not sure if I am willing to pay them anything at all for it. Just plain does not worth it, in my opinion.

I might have kept it if I could have started my 2010 with the phone app like you can on the later models but the App doesn't do anything for a 2010.
    I have built in navigation and I use my cell phone via bluetooth "Handsfree dial home" so what does Onstar give me? It might be worth $10 a month but sure isn't worth $30. Now if by having OnStar GM gave you 10% off dealer parts and service I would be all over it

Well, at least I can say that GM does listen. Got contacted by On* very quickly and got my profile updated as I requested. Also, once the lady has confirmed that they have emailed the vehicle information on a specific date, I have checked the Spam folder and found it there. Interesting...all marketing emails and other announcements from On* do not get there but this specific email did.

there just doesn't seem to be any value for the money. Unlock my car remotely? The frigging car honks at me if I try to lock it with the keys in it.
    $30 a month, put in the bank buys you a new set of tires mounted and balanced every 36 months. What is the better value?
    stevec5375 and woodytwo like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.