OnStar Price is Way Up! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, OnStar Price is Way Up! in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by Red Dwarf My Onstar cost (safe & sound) is $14.95 per month. I usually buy 30 minutes ...
    BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dwarf
    My Onstar cost (safe & sound) is $14.95 per month. I usually buy 30 minutes when necessary. Hardly ever use the system. It's mainly for the wife.
    I got 600 minutes for $24.95!! Don't know what to do with them, lol. Can't pass up a bargain.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Re: OnStar Price is Way Up!

I'm happy to report that I spoke with a nice representative at OnStar and have renewed for another year. I opted for the S&S Plan with a free upgrade to D&C for 6 months. Thank You OnStar for great service.
    calif phil likes this.

OnStar Advisor is offline Cadillac Owners Member

300:29:1,

It was a pleasure speaking with you. Please let us know if there is anything further we can do to assist. We're always happy to help!

-Johnua, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

Quote Originally Posted by 300:29:1 View Post
    I'm happy to report that I spoke with a nice representative at OnStar and have renewed for another year. I opted for the S&S Plan with a free upgrade to D&C for 6 months. Thank You OnStar for great service.

Stuart MacPherson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The price may be rising, but definitely not the value - on a trip just coveted to Rhode Island, we loaded directions at home in Canada, but discovered to our horror that directions and emergency calling don't work for us in the USA! We couldn't even call the onstar info number. Called it from our cell phone, and we were told we were too close to the water! Finally someone at onstar who knew something told us that the roaming agreement they have with US carriers doesn't allow it! Totally useless to us therefore. We then had a very complex drive out of Staten Island that we could not use onstar for at all - so sorry I left my Garmin GPS at home. We are very disappointed in GM and onstar.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart MacPherson View Post
    The price may be rising, but definitely not the value - on a trip just coveted to Rhode Island, we loaded directions at home in Canada, but discovered to our horror that directions and emergency calling don't work for us in the USA! We couldn't even call the onstar info number. Called it from our cell phone, and we were told we were too close to the water! Finally someone at onstar who knew something told us that the roaming agreement they have with US carriers doesn't allow it! Totally useless to us therefore. We then had a very complex drive out of Staten Island that we could not use onstar for at all - so sorry I left my Garmin GPS at home. We are very disappointed in GM and onstar.
    Normally these do work cross border. I have done it many times across many GM vehicles.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Just so you know - GM has confirmed that the turn by turn and emergency buttons do NOT work in the USA - this situation has existed for some time now, despite the fact that they continue to advertise 98% coverage for Canadians in the US. Really sad - they have refunded our one month of charges and have undertaken to pay our cell bill of $75 incurred while getting all sorts of misleading info from various front line people. GM should be ashamed.

redvett94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Between Onstar and factor Navigation both are worthless, any outside navagition is better that the MFR's and much cheaper. What my wife and i hate about Onstar is they rarely can find our location and NAV wont allow my wife to change locations while we are on the move. Now GM is is forcing buyers to take NAV, i will buy something else without NAV maybe a Ford

ngrigoriev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart MacPherson View Post
    Just so you know - GM has confirmed that the turn by turn and emergency buttons do NOT work in the USA - this situation has existed for some time now, despite the fact that they continue to advertise 98% coverage for Canadians in the US. Really sad - they have refunded our one month of charges and have undertaken to pay our cell bill of $75 incurred while getting all sorts of misleading info from various front line people. GM should be ashamed.
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?! They are crazy. This does lots of damage to the brand - if there is still space for more damage. I am going to travel to U.S. for a couple of days and I will definitely try my On* (hopefully - not for an emergency reason! ) there. And if it does not work, I am going to document it, try again in different places. And when I get back, it won't be just a YouTube video showing how it works, I think I will have to ask GM some inconvenient questions...

If, if this is true - then it would look like a fraud to me...

Can anyone confirm this information?

SRX-MTL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

I'm from Canada and I went to Burlington,VT last autumn and I can confirm that the turn by turn button was working without any problem and I got all directions requested transferred to my ON* system. Hopefully, I didn't have to use the emergency button while in the States.

carguy2006 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Seville & 2 Corvettes 69 & 07

I found the basic On Star good for the phone use. Out in mid Utah my cell phone is a "brick", on Star works fine. That plus accident notification gives me piece of mind. My $0.02.

slalom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium

I'm curious what the conversion to LTE will do to pricing and coverage.

----------

I just got an email from Onstar that had an interesting statement:

Download and use RemoteLink just once during your trial period or any consecutive paid service plan, and you'll keep access to OnStar RemoteLink Key Fob Services—Remote Start, Remote Door Lock/Unlock and Remote Horn and Lights—for five years from vehicle delivery date.

Does this mean that even if I don't subscribe to OnStar beyond the trial period (1 year on my new SRX), I will still have access to remote start, remote unlock, etc.?

Cacase12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium - Stunning Red :-)

From the OnStar web Site ... Still not totally clear on whether an active OnStar account remains a requirement but it implies that it is not ...

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/co...sexplore?tab=2

OnStar RemoteLink Key Fob Services

An active OnStar Directions & Connections or Safe & Sound service plan is required to access most RemoteLink features. However with 2014 OnStar equipped vehicles, when you download and use RemoteLink just once during your OnStar trial or consecutive subscription, you'll unlock access to the RemoteLink Key Fob Services, including Remote Start, Remote Door Lock and Remote Horn and Lights, for five years from date of vehicle delivery.

OnStar RemoteLink Key Fob Services do not include any emergency services, Automatic Crash Response, stolen vehicle assistance, live Advisor service, or Hands-Free Calling. If you sell your GM vehicle or wish to cancel use of OnStar Key Fob Services, you must contact OnStar at 1.888.4.ONSTAR. Subsequent owners will be able to activate the remaining term of the Key Fob Services by calling 1.888.4.ONSTAR.

When OnStar RemoteLink Key Fob Services are active, location information is collected each time you use the app.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by OnStar Advisor View Post
    300:29:1,

It was a pleasure speaking with you. Please let us know if there is anything further we can do to assist. We're always happy to help!

-Johnua, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team
    Today I tried to access the Navigation part of the RemoteLink app and found out that I did NOT have the D&C plan/upgrade. A call to OnStar resolved this quickly, but it was still annoying nonetheless.

SRX-MTL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

My D & C one year free trial period is ending in 2 weeks and today I received a phone call from Onstar. I said right away that I was not interested to renew on a monthly basis at $40 + taxes. Suddenly, price drop to $25/month for the D & C plan! I told the representative that I have a portable GPS so no need to get the D & C plan. She then offered me the basic plan at $17 / month + free 100 minutes phone calls. I said no because nobody can tell me what will be the final outcome of Onstar in Canada in January 2015 and who is going to pay for the Onstar hardware update in my SRX. She then offered me to extend at no charge my free trial period from Sept to December 2014 + free 100 minutes phone calls and I will have to make my decision only in December if I want to subscribe on a monthly basis at this special monthly price $25 / month or to terminate my Onstar subscription. By the beginning of December, she said that Onstar will make an announcement about the hardware update in view to get Onstar services in 2015 so I will have all the info to take my décision. I finally said yes as it will cost me nothing meanwhile.

We had a major issue with Onstar this summer --- we learned that you CANNOT access Onstar, or the emergency line while in the USA - we tried to download a turn by turn trip after we arrived from Toronto (using turn by turn) - while we were in Rhode Island -- couldn't get it! After spending a lot of time talking to people on my cell phone, we learned that Canadians can't access turn by turn or emergency help while in the USA -- something to do with roaming agreements with Canadian telcos. We were refunded our monthly fee after much discussion -- but nonetheless, the web site still shows 98% coverage in the US -- etc, all completely bogus. Too bad, as we found turn by turn very useful in Canada -- but clearly, useless as soon as you cross the border!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.