2010 SRX 3.0 L timing chain
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2010 SRX 3.0 L timing chain in Cadillac SRX Forums; As anyone else experienced this problem... Have 2010 FWD SRX with 3.0 L engine.... Recently been told have a stretched ...
    SJS
    SJS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2010 SRX 3.0 L timing chain

As anyone else experienced this problem... Have 2010 FWD SRX with 3.0 L engine.... Recently been told have a stretched timing chain.. At of course, have 163,000 km... AHas anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2010 SRX 3.0 L timing chain

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    As anyone else experienced this problem... Have 2010 FWD SRX with 3.0 L engine.... Recently been told have a stretched timing chain.. At of course, have 163,000 km... AHas anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks all!
    Hi SJS,

I apologize that you are currently experiencing timing chain concerns and I can see how it would be frustrating. It looks like you are reaching out to the forum for feedback regarding your situation. At this time, I can only assist customers and dealerships within the Unites States, but I would like to provide you with the contact information for your regional representatives in case you would like some additional assistance. If you would like, please provide me with your location so I can get you contact information for your local GM representatives.

Have a great night,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    There's another thread on here regarding oil levels and being careful to not let it get too low or it could cause undue wear on the timing chain and result in it "stretching" (a simplistic phrase for describing the more complex reality that the chain's links don't actually yield and change dimensions, but rather the joints wear resulting in loosness and a slight overall length increase, combined with sprocket wear, allows the cam timing to get sloppy). However, 163,000 km seems like pretty good mileage out of a timing chain/sprocket. WAY better than a belt.

SRXyz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

That sounds like pretty decent mileage for those chains. Normal wear and tear.

georule is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Is breaking a timing chain on the SRX a Really Bad Idea? I know some cars it can basically wreck the engine if it happens (so don't fool around with it, get it fixed!).

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    Is breaking a timing chain on the SRX a Really Bad Idea? I know some cars it can basically wreck the engine if it happens (so don't fool around with it, get it fixed!).
    Not sure about the 3.0, but considering the 11.5:1 compression ratio of the 3.6L LFX, I wouldn't be surprized if the pistons would, ahem, "interfere" w/ the valves in the event of a timing chain failure. However, chains are much less likely to fail in that manner than belts, typically the timing gets really sloppy and performance suffers long before a chain breaks or jumps a tooth. Timing chains are not a regular maintenance item like timing belts.

The 3.0L LF1 is from the same HFV6 family as the 3.6L LFX, so I wouldn't be surprized they used very similar heads / valves / cams / timing chain setups. Looks like the LAU 2.8T engine is also from the same family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine#LF1

Not sure what this means:

7.7mm IT chain system for all HFV6 applications

Found it at: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-en...#ixzz332hE3x2w

srxycaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX4 PERFORMANCE (Mocha Steel Met. / Shale Brownstone)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBzSRX View Post
    There's another thread on here regarding oil levels and being careful to not let it get too low or it could cause undue wear on the timing chain and result in it "stretching" (a simplistic phrase for describing the more complex reality that the chain's links don't actually yield and change dimensions, but rather the joints wear resulting in loosness and a slight overall length increase, combined with sprocket wear, allows the cam timing to get sloppy). However, 163,000 km seems like pretty good mileage out of a timing chain/sprocket. WAY better than a belt.
    The last few cars I've owned had a 100,000 mile scheduled replacement for the timing belt (160,000 km).

As JohnnyBzSRX mentioned, timing chains are usually not maintenance items (unlike belts) so this is either poor maintenance or a defective/low quality issue. Either way, if you wait until it breaks it could be catastrophic for the engine (not sure if this is an interference engine or not).

Quote Originally Posted by srxycaddy View Post
    The last few cars I've owned had a 100,000 mile scheduled replacement for the timing belt (160,000 km).
    Wow, my OTOMH mental conversion from km to miles was way off! Indeed, a properly maintained engine should not be killing the timing chain that soon.

georule is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBzSRX View Post
    Not sure about the 3.0, but considering the 11.5:1 compression ratio of the 3.6L LFX, I wouldn't be surprized if the pistons would, ahem, "interfere" w/ the valves in the event of a timing chain failure. However, chains are much less likely to fail in that manner than belts, typically the timing gets really sloppy and performance suffers long before a chain breaks or jumps a tooth. Timing chains are not a regular maintenance item like timing belts.

The 3.0L LF1 is from the same HFV6 family as the 3.6L LFX, so I wouldn't be surprized they used very similar heads / valves / cams / timing chain setups. Looks like the LAU 2.8T engine is also from the same family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine#LF1

Not sure what this means:

7.7mm IT chain system for all HFV6 applications

Found it at: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-en...#ixzz332hE3x2w
    Wrecked a Porsche (luckily, a used, cheap one, but still) once with a busted timing chain. Swore me off out-of-warranty "German engineering", and taking chances with timing chains, ever again.

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

I think SJS is most mad at the fact at being only 3k out of the Powertrain warranty. Why, if it was going to go bad, didn't it happen at 158k?

Max

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumkk View Post
    I think SJS is most mad at the fact at being only 3k out of the Powertrain warranty. Why, if it was going to go bad, didn't it happen at 158k?

Max
    Go and voice your opinion with the dealer, sometimes a manufacturer will give you a break if you are just out of warranty, I got lucky that way with a similar just out of warranty problem with a Honda.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.