fw: GM recalls 2013 Cadillac SRX on lagging acceleration issue - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, fw: GM recalls 2013 Cadillac SRX on lagging acceleration issue in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello njacobsen, Please feel free to send us a private message. We are more than happy to address your questions ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: fw: GM recalls 2013 Cadillac SRX on lagging acceleration issue

Hello njacobsen,

Please feel free to send us a private message. We are more than happy to address your questions and concerns the best we can.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
    Can we get Customer Service to weigh in on the status of a fix??

Has a fix been developed?

Has the fix been tested in a sufficient number of vehicles to release for customer vehicle updates?

What is the estimated timeline for having the fix available for dealers to update customer cars?

So far GM has acknowledged being able to recreate the problem in a repeatable scenario. I have not seen anything to tell the rest of the story.
    Here is one of the two attachments listed on the recall information from the NHTSA site. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...tsa_ids=14V212

Here is the direct link to the below letter: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...4V212-7341.pdf

April 30, 2014

Ms. Carmen Benavides
    Director Product Investigations
    General Motors LLC
    30001 Van Dyke - Mail Code 480-210-2V
    Warren, MI 48090-9055

NVS-215KS 14V-212

Subject: Transmission Software may cause Acceleration Lag

Dear Ms. Benavides:

This letter serves to acknowledge General Motors LLC's notification to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of a safety recall which will be conducted pursuant to Federal law for the product(s) listed below. Please review the following information to ensure that it conforms to your records as this information is being made available to the public. If the information does not agree with your records, please contact us immediately to discuss your concerns.

Makes/Models/Model Years: CADILLAC/SRX/2013

Mfr's Report Date: April 24, 2014

NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V-212

Components: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)

Potential Number of Units Affected: 50,571

Problem Description: General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2013 Cadillac SRX vehicles manufactured May 29, 2012, through June 26, 2013, and equipped with 3.6L engines. In the affected vehicles, in certain driving situations, there may be a three to four second lag in acceleration due to the transmission control module (TCM) programming.

Consequence: A three to four second lag in acceleration may increase the risk of crash.

Remedy: GM will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the transmission control module, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Cadillac customer service at 1-800-458-8006. General Motors' number for this recall is 14132.

Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Please be reminded of the following requirements:
    You are required to submit a draft owner notification letter to this office no less than five days prior to mailing it to the customers. Also, copies of all notices, bulletins, dealer notifications, and other communications that relate to this recall, including a copy of the final owner notification letter and any subsequent owner follow-up notification letter(s), are required to be submitted to this office no later than 5 days after they are originally sent (if they are sent to more than one manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or purchaser/owner).

You are required to provide an estimated date including month, day, and year, when you will send notifications to owners, dealers, and distributors as soon as it becomes available. Please be reminded that it is expected owners will be notified of a safety defect in their vehicles within 60 days of a manufacturer's notification to NHTSA of a safety defect in those vehicles.

As required in Part 573.6(c)(6), in the case of a defect, please provide a chronology of all principal events that were the basis for the determination that the defect related to motor vehicle safety, including a summary of all warranty claims, field or service reports, and other information, with their dates of receipt. Please provide this information as soon as possible.

As stated in Part 573.7, submission of the first of six consecutive quarterly status reports is required within one month after the close of the calendar quarter in which notification to purchasers occurs. Therefore, the first quarterly report will be due on, or before, 30 days after the close of the calendar quarter.

Your contact for this recall will be Kelly Schuler who may be reached by phone at (202) 366-5227, or by email at kelly.schuler@dot.gov or through the office email at rmd.odi@dot.gov. We look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,
    Jennifer Timian Chief, Recall Management Division Office of Defects Investigations Enforcement
    Marc NY and georule like this.

MJDART is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium

Any idea of VIN numbers or where is manufacture date located? 2013 Cadillac SRX vehicles manufactured May 29, 2012, through June 26, 2013

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

May 29 2012 through June 26 2013 looks like the whole model year to me. MFG date on driver door pillar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJDART View Post
    Any idea of VIN numbers or where is manufacture date located? 2013 Cadillac SRX vehicles manufactured May 29, 2012, through June 26, 2013

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by allgm View Post
    May 29 2012 through June 26 2013 looks like the whole model year to me. MFG date on driver door pillar
    For the 2013 MY (Model Year) I had ordered my SRX very early on and it wasn't built until Oct. 1, 2012.

Vehicle Build
    Model: 6NG26-2013 SRX Order Number: QNNV4V
    Gross Vehicle Weight: 2,482 Build Date: 10/01/2012
    Build Plant: S

Thus I believe the 2012 SRXs have to be included in that recall not just the MY of 2013 if they indeed go back as early as May 29, 2012.

*Remember that the new CUE system pushed back the start of the 2013 SRX production well into the fall of 2012.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Marc NY, that gross vehicle weight can't be correct. The SRX weighs close to 5000. You may have have the numbers backwards....I know it has nothing to do with the recall...

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

Quote Originally Posted by Likely View Post
    Marc NY, that gross vehicle weight can't be correct. The SRX weighs close to 5000. You may have have the numbers backwards....I know it has nothing to do with the recall...
    The weight is given in kg.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    For the 2013 MY (Model Year) I had ordered my SRX very early on and it wasn't built until Oct. 1, 2012.

Vehicle Build
    Model: 6NG26-2013 SRX Order Number: QNNV4V
    Gross Vehicle Weight: 2,482 Build Date: 10/01/2012
    Build Plant: S

Thus I believe the 2012 SRXs have to be included in that recall not just the MY of 2013 if they indeed go back as early as May 29, 2012.

*Remember that the new CUE system pushed back the start of the 2013 SRX production well into the fall of 2012.
    Maybe the 2012 models that were produced during this date range have a different TCM progam which wouldn't be impacted by this recall. It's just a guess since the recall specifically indicates 2013 models produced from May 29, 2012 - June 26, 2013. It seems like the 2014s aren't impacted so my guess is they have a different TCM program as well.

~Tina~

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumkk View Post
    The weight is given in kg.

Max
    Yes that is correct... GM changed over from using kg several years ago and it usually confuses many of us US owners at first because GM doesn't use kg anymore.

GM's previous VIN# Look up below:

VEHICLE BUILD
    Merchandising Model : CS15703 -2005 CHEVY SSR -SUPER SPORT ROADSTER
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating : 2747 kg (6057 lb) Order Number : HXCFR4
    Build Date : 05/05/2005 Build Plant : 15B03

Early on GM use to convert the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating in their system back in 2006 but as you can see here that they no longer do that, as evident from this May of 2006 posting of a history inquiry on this particular 2005 SSR that I had done back then as a request for someone who had wanted their build sheet.

Below is the same SSR VIN# History look up on GM's website today where GM is now using a slightly different format and with no kg designation:

Vehicle Build
    Model: CS15703-2005 CHEVROLET SSR Order Number: HXCFR4
    Gross Vehicle Weight: 2,747 Build Date: 05/05/2005
    Build Plant: B

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

What is the URL for the VIN lookup?

----------

Anyone expecting to have the fix applied to your TCM, ask the Service Manager at your dealer if they have it before you take the time to go to the appointment. Today I made an appointment for the recall, but asked before ending the call if they have the fix and the Service writer checked and said no. He is now checking further and will call me tomorrow.

Just a word of caution to ask specifically if they can do the work when on the phone rather than going to an appointment only to be told they cannot do it.

My SRX was built 11/12 and Customer Service said my VIN is not matched to the recall yet. Still trying to dig deeper to find when the fix will actually be available.

Quote Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
    What is the URL for the VIN lookup?

----------

Anyone expecting to have the fix applied to your TCM, ask the Service Manager at your dealer if they have it before you take the time to go to the appointment. Today I made an appointment for the recall, but asked before ending the call if they have the fix and the Service writer checked and said no. He is now checking further and will call me tomorrow.

Just a word of caution to ask specifically if they can do the work when on the phone rather than going to an appointment only to be told they cannot do it.

My SRX was built 11/12 and Customer Service said my VIN is not matched to the recall yet. Still trying to dig deeper to find when the fix will actually be available.
    As of now only the NHTSA has been notified of the safety recall and GM has 60 days to notify the owners. I seriously doubt that they have even sent an offical notification to the dealers for the service depts. We have a jump on this info because once it hits NHTSA site it becomes public knowledge. As of now we just need to sit tight and let your service manager know you are wanting the updated TCM. My service manager is aware of this issue and knows I am anxiously waiting the update TCM program. He will notify me when it is available but as of a few days ago when the notice became public I was the first one to share it with him.

Here is a excerpt from the document on the NHTSA site and I also posted the entire document in post #17. (the use of You in the below statement is referring to GM)

"You are required to provide an estimated date including month, day, and year, when you will send notifications to owners, dealers, and distributors as soon as it becomes available. Please be reminded that it is expected owners will be notified of a safety defect in their vehicles within 60 days of a manufacturer's notification to NHTSA of a safety defect in those vehicles."

I feel better just in the fact that I know what not to do. NO MORE ROLLING STOPS for me!!!

~Tina~
    Marc NY likes this.

2011_SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

Tonight on the MSN webpage, FYI http://t.autos.msn.com/news/gm-recalls-100000-suvs
    crump13 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011_SRX View Post
    Thanks for the link. I had to refresh the link a few times before I saw the article on the SRX. So I copied it and pasted it below.

Article in MSN home page: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...b-6be23ed57ebf

Recalls: GM SUVs and Saturn sedans for transmission problems, fuel gauge errors
    More than 100,000 late-model Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick and GMC models are affected. Another 56,000 Saturn sedans could roll away.
    By Exhaust Notes Mon 8:14 AM
    General Motors is recalling more than 150,000 SUVs and sedans to fix transmission and fuel gauge problems, according to filings with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The 2013 Cadillac SRX has a transmission software error that can delay acceleration by up to four seconds. GM said that if the driver reaches second gear between 8 and 10 mph, brakes to under 5 mph and then proceeds to accelerate, the car will not accelerate for several seconds.

About 50,571 cars are affected in the U.S. GM did not specify when it first discovered the problem but only that it took an internal committee three days to approve the recall.

I would love to know when they were first aware of this issue but I am thankful they realized after three days that this is a serious safety issue and decided on the recall. I wonder if it has anything to do with all the heat GM is getting over the ignition switch issue that should have been recalled 10 years ago? Maybe all the bad press they are getting from that issue helped push this issue to a decision faster. Either way, kudos to GM for learning from past mistakes and making changes. That is what it takes to start rebuilding the faith in the eyes of the general public and their car owners.

~Tina~

rokkerz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Base 18" wheels

I have this same issue with my 2011.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by rokkerz View Post
    I have this same issue with my 2011.
    Hello rokkerz,

I am sorry that you have experienced this with your 2011 SRX as well. We would be happy to look further into this situation and document this concern. Have you brought this to the attention of your Cadillac service department? Could you private message us with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and preferred dealership? If you are unable to private message us, you can also email us at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered directly to me. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.