Rainsense not working, want to switch to intermittent swipe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Rainsense not working, want to switch to intermittent swipe in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi everyone, I have just bought a second hand SRX 2012 Luxury and found out that the rainsense is not ...
    maxyang is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury White

Rainsense not working, want to switch to intermittent swipe

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a second hand SRX 2012 Luxury and found out that the rainsense is not working. When I put wiper switch in "intermittent" mode, the message "Rainsense On" displayed. However, no matter how big the rain, the wiper stays there doing nothing. When I put the wiper switch to "low speed" or "high speed", they will do their job. My conclusion is that the sensor is not working. Some posts do say if the sensor is not properly installed with the windshield, rainsense won't work.

I am thinking, if there is a way to disable rainsense and put the traditional "intermittent" back, i will be happy and save the money of a repair for either the sensor or the windshield.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Max

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Re: Rainsense not working, want to switch to intermittent swipe

Wouldn't the repair on rainsense be covered under warranty? I'd persue that first. Also, be sure that the area of the windshield where the sensor is located (rearview mirror mount) is clear and not coated w/ Rain-X or something similar, this could interferre w/ the rainsense operation. The sensor relies on water sticking to the surface of the glass to change the refractive index, Rain-X causes the water to bead off and prevents this from occurring.

Somewhat off topic, but I wish the rear wiper intermittent setting would be sync'd to the front wipers, rather than be set on one non-adjustable delay.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Yea being a '12 it should be a warranty item shouldn't it?
    Sensor should be a relatively inexpensive repair if it does turn out to be bad.

georule is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Make sure you've actually tried rotating the ring on the handle (clockwise) to increase the sensitivity of rainsense.

Thanks for replying.

It is 2012 but the windshield has already been replaced (did not noticed that when i bought it) and the Cadillac dealer said it is not covered by the manufacturer warranty.

I tried different approach, including turning the ring and unplug the sensor fuse. None of them give me back the traditional intermittent swipe.

It may not cost very much, but just curious to try something before send it to the shop.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Was this a CPO (Certified Pre Owned vehicle)?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by maxyang View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have just bought a second hand SRX 2012 Luxury and found out that the rainsense is not working. When I put wiper switch in "intermittent" mode, the message "Rainsense On" displayed. However, no matter how big the rain, the wiper stays there doing nothing. When I put the wiper switch to "low speed" or "high speed", they will do their job. My conclusion is that the sensor is not working. Some posts do say if the sensor is not properly installed with the windshield, rainsense won't work.

I am thinking, if there is a way to disable rainsense and put the traditional "intermittent" back, i will be happy and save the money of a repair for either the sensor or the windshield.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Max
    Hi Max,

I am sorry you are having these difficulties with your rainsense. If you would like to PM me your VIN, mileage, dealership, and contact information, I can research your situation and reach out to a dealership on your behalf, if you choose to go that route.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Does it have more than 50k miles on it, already? I'm trying to understand how it could not be covered under the bumper-to-bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    Does it have more than 50k miles on it, already? I'm trying to understand how it could not be covered under the bumper-to-bumper.
    The windshield had been replaced with something none GM (not carrying the GM logo) and it was done before I bought the car. I am unable to trace back to who did the replacing, and cadillac service center told me now the windshield and the attachment of rain sensor is not covered by warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by maxyang View Post
    The windshield had been replaced with something none GM (not carrying the GM logo) and it was done before I bought the car. I am unable to trace back to who did the replacing, and cadillac service center told me now the windshield and the attachment of rain sensor is not covered by warranty.
    Ah, if you bought it from a private party then I guess I can see that. If you bought it from a GM dealership, I'd be pissed if they told me (as I assume they told you) the vehicle is covered under the remainder of a bumper-to-bumper and didn't tell me about the rainsense sensor being gone and uncovered due to a non-warranty repair.

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    Ah, if you bought it from a private party then I guess I can see that. If you bought it from a GM dealership, I'd be pissed if they told me (as I assume they told you) the vehicle is covered under the remainder of a bumper-to-bumper and didn't tell me about the rainsense sensor being gone and uncovered due to a non-warranty repair.
    I know. Unfortunately it is not a GM dealer I got the car from.

Guy on ebay selling older model rainsense sensors for $24. Guy on this forum retrofitted his '98 Deville for like $75 (he says) doing the work himself. Is it really that expensive for the dealer to just add rainsense back?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...8-deville.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-RAI...-/150391053829

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.