New SRX - paint issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrose7004
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, New SRX - paint issue in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hi, Three weeks after getting a new SRX I have noticed some minor paint issues on the car. They are ...
    ngrigoriev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium

New SRX - paint issue

Hi,

Three weeks after getting a new SRX I have noticed some minor paint issues on the car. They are all on the door steps (bottom), inside the car. All on the same side - in front and in the back. While these parts are not directly exposed to the outside environment, they usually get their fair share of humidity and salt.

To me it looks like a Cadillac quality issue - it seems like the parts were just dirty before they got painted at the factory. Pieces of sand or something else. Never seen anything like this in any European or Japanese cars.

I am wondering if I should do something about it. Well, to be more specific - if I should ask dealer to do anything about it. The car is leased. I have informed the dealer about my discovery - at least to have a proof 4 years later.

http://bit.ly/1h9V6uf

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jrose7004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Luxury

Re: New SRX - paint issue

I would take it back to the dealer and have them bring it to Cadillac's attention and fix it.
    georule likes this.

I will certainly wait for the dealer's response, for sure. The problem is not functional (and not even aesthetic - it can be barely seen), the car is leased and as long as I am not charged for the rust spot that may form in these areas I am not too concerned...My question was more on the technical side. Considering the kind of defect, what sort of resolution I could realistically expect? I do not think they will be repainting these areas. Besides, I think any after-factory body work is worse than the original paint...or am I wrong and my experience is outdated? I definitely do not want them to make it worse by trying to fix it incorrectly

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

A reputable body shop will have a lifetime warranty on their paint. The finish will be as good or better, only the color match and blend is the wildcard.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

What can be done in a high-end auto paint shop these days is pretty amazing. They use lasers to paint match. Whether it is worth it on a lease is a different question.

Quote Originally Posted by georule View Post
    What can be done in a high-end auto paint shop these days is pretty amazing. They use lasers to paint match. Whether it is worth it on a lease is a different question.
    I think it is worth only if the dealer fully takes care of it at minimal inconvenience for me

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Document all the discussion's and meeting's with the dealer, so at the end of lease you have everything to protect yourself from all the charges they would try and collect....

Two days later - no response from the dealer. Sent another email, copied the after-sales service department manager. We'll see where it goes. Worst case I will have to visit them without an invitation

Looks like the Cadillac dealers are not very much different from Honda/Toyota and others. I.e. after you are out of the door you are not so welcome back until you need another car I start regretting about giving them relatively high marks in the customer survey I filled just 3 days ago.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

Dealer is a dealer, is a dealer!!!!Once out the door, they sometimes don't even know your name....

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ngrigoriev View Post
    Two days later - no response from the dealer. Sent another email, copied the after-sales service department manager. We'll see where it goes. Worst case I will have to visit them without an invitation

Looks like the Cadillac dealers are not very much different from Honda/Toyota and others. I.e. after you are out of the door you are not so welcome back until you need another car I start regretting about giving them relatively high marks in the customer survey I filled just 3 days ago.
    Hi ngrigoriev,

I can understand your concern with these paint defects and I apologize for the lack of response from your dealership. If you would like, I can document your concerns within our system for future reference and reach out to the dealership on your behalf. Please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, dealership, and contact information if you want me to go ahead with that.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hi ngrigoriev,

I can understand your concern with these paint defects and I apologize for the lack of response from your dealership.
    I have finally got a response from them and going to meet them tomorrow morning. We'll see what they propose as an action. From what I understood they need to take the pictures of the defects and ask Cadillac about what needs to be done.

I have finally got a response from them and going to meet them tomorrow morning. We'll see what they propose as an action. From what I understood they need to take the pictures of the defects and ask Cadillac about what needs to be done.
    Sounds good ngrigoriev, hopefully the situation will be resolved to your satisfaction. Please keep us posted on how the dealership visit goes.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Hi Austin,

I visited the dealer. The director of the service department took a look at both doors and acknowledged the paint defects. However, according to him, this should not result in premature rusting. He proposed that we watch these places closely and when I come for the maintenance they will be re-evaluating it. In case of any sign of troubles they would fix it. And, anyway, he was going to put a note in my profile about it for the future.

If it was my car, not a lease, I would be probably not entirely happy about this approach. Considering that it is a lease, that the chances of me keeping this car after the lease is over vs. getting a new one are low, and because the defects are really non-functional and hardly visible (unless you know where to look) I think I am OK with it.

The only thing I wanted to mention is that it seems to me that the quality control could be better at Cadillac. You may not be the best in the auto world (it is subjective who is the best anyway) but, I think, whatever comes out from your factory must be perfect - especially when it comes to finishing, paint, materials etc. Look at today's stock price drop and you'll see that the investors are not so confident about it (but I did pick up some more GM stock today )

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Seems like a reasonable approach to me, since you are now documented/covered. And you now have a little leverage if it turns out later you do have any interest in negotiating to keep the car after the lease expires.

Hi Austin,

I visited the dealer. The director of the service department took a look at both doors and acknowledged the paint defects. However, according to him, this should not result in premature rusting. He proposed that we watch these places closely and when I come for the maintenance they will be re-evaluating it. In case of any sign of troubles they would fix it. And, anyway, he was going to put a note in my profile about it for the future.

If it was my car, not a lease, I would be probably not entirely happy about this approach. Considering that it is a lease, that the chances of me keeping this car after the lease is over vs. getting a new one are low, and because the defects are really non-functional and hardly visible (unless you know where to look) I think I am OK with it.

The only thing I wanted to mention is that it seems to me that the quality control could be better at Cadillac. You may not be the best in the auto world (it is subjective who is the best anyway) but, I think, whatever comes out from your factory must be perfect - especially when it comes to finishing, paint, materials etc. Look at today's stock price drop and you'll see that the investors are not so confident about it (but I did pick up some more GM stock today )
    Hi ngrigoriev,

I apologize for the delay in my response, but I am glad the dealership took note of your concern. If anything does happen with these defect and you require additional assistance, please PM me and I will get you in touch with the appropriate representatives.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.