Oil consumption
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Oil consumption in Cadillac SRX Forums; Have there been any postings regarding oil consumption in the second generation SRX? I have a 2012 AWD, less than ...
    DLGS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-AWD; 2012 SRX-AWD

Oil consumption

Have there been any postings regarding oil consumption in the second generation SRX?
    I have a 2012 AWD, less than 2 years old, with 35,000 miles. I have truly enjoyed this vehicle every day up, until yesterday. The "Change Engine Oil Soon" memo came up and the check engine light had been on for a day and then went back off, and then on again. I scheduled a service appointment for the next day and was told that the timing chain was stretched and would need to be replaced. The service department told me that I should have the oil changed when the remaining life hits 20%; he said that GM will authorize an oil change at this time. I stated that the notice to change oil soon had just come on, and he repeated that I should change the oil sooner. Every oil change has been done by the dealership, and they may have mentioned that the oil should be changed at 20%, but it was not stated as forcefully as it was yesterday.

Is there an issue with this 3.6L Direct-injection V6 engine where it is known to burn excessive amounts of oil?

The Timing Chain should be a zero concern issue in a relatively new car (22 months) with 35,000 miles and regularly scheduled oil changes done by the dealership.

What is going on here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Re: Oil consumption

I have had 3 oil changes done on my 2012 3.6 and I have checked the oil each time just before going in (6000-7000 miles). It is never been down more than maybe 1/4 quart, if that. I know you have an almost brand new car, but you should still check the oil level occasionally. It has been debated here before if the SRX has an oil level sensor. The manual says it does, but insiders say that part is not found in the catalog anywhere, so you can not trust the vehicle to tell you if the oil is low.

Is GM replacing the timing chain under warranty? I would hope so, as you have done nothing wrong. If GM wants us to change the oil sooner, they need to recalibrate the oil life monitor.

SRXyz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Sounds like the dealer wants to squeeze in one additional oil change before the free service ends, and keep you coming back more often afterwards.
    Did the dealer say why they think the timing chain is stretched? If there was "excessive" oil consumption, what was the specific amount?

DLGS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-AWD; 2012 SRX-AWD

I do check the oil between changes, not as frequently as I use to in my younger days, but as you said, it is a new car, and absent a noticeable oil spot on the garage floor, I would not expect a new car to burn oil, at least not at a rate to cause engine component damage in maybe 5000 miles.

If there is an engine oil sensor, there was no indication of a problem other than the check engine light that came on the day before the oil life monitor indicated an oil change was due soon.

----------

I have not yet picked up the car, so I do not know any specifics. They said the chain stretched due to oil consumption, and the comment was that it was down 3 + quarts, and I needed to have the oil changed when the monitor was at 20%, not wait until it indicated a change was due soon.

So, what causes an engine to burn oil, other than bad piston rings or scored cylinder walls? Sounds like an on-going long term problem to me, and one that I will be stuck with after I hit 50,000 miles, which at my rate of driving will be well under 3 years.

Has there been any history on piston ring problems with the 3.6 L DI engine??

If you were down 3 quarts at 0-5%, you must have been down at least 2 quarts at 20%. That is not acceptable, either. By the way, your engine is covered for 5 years and 100,000 miles under the powertrain warranty, not just the 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper.

I would tell them I want a new engine that does not burn through half the oil capacity in between oil changes.

'12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium
    All cars burn oil, regardless of what the dipstick shows. One or two quarts between oil changes nowadays is quite normal. People who swear their cars burn no oil are sadly mistaken since all engines will retain about 10% of filthy oil at each oil change.
    HDI0390 likes this.

463 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX AWD 3.0L Premium caribbean blue

Quote Originally Posted by '12CTSman View Post
    All cars burn oil, regardless of what the dipstick shows. One or two quarts between oil changes nowadays is quite normal. People who swear their cars burn no oil are sadly mistaken since all engines will retain about 10% of filthy oil at each oil change.
    You say "One or two quarts between oil changes nowadays is quite normal" what has your car been SMOKING or wait might have been who?

I didn't want to say anything but CTSMAN post made no sense.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

retcad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

my 2010 is down barely a quart in 4K miles, which is about the time I get it changed.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjeeps
    I didn't want to say anything but CTSMAN post made no sense. Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    My bad. After in read it, it didn't make any sense to me either.

What I was trying to say is that your oil pan, crankcase and oil filter in the SRX holds 6 quarts. When draining your oil it is impossible to get 6 quarts of actual oil out regardless of how long you let it drain since some oil and other gunk is retained in the engine, etc. If you get 6 quarts or more out some of that will be gasoline, water and byproducts from the combustion process, plus any additional oil you added. If you don't add oil between oil changes you will be lucky to get 5 quarts out; usually only 4.5 quarts or less. Keeping the oil level at spec is vitally important since the oil cools as well as lubricates the engine. Adding a pint of oil every 2,000 miles or so between oil changes will not hurt your engine. It can only help. Oil foaming only occurs if you overfill most engines by 4-5 quarts, which happens more often than you think at quick change oil places and even dealerships if the tech forgets to check the dipstick.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 463
    Quote Originally Posted by '12CTSman View Post
    You say "One or two quarts between oil changes nowadays is quite normal" what has your car been SMOKING or wait might have been who?
    Hey, if you don't believe me about oil consumption talk to any auto tech and he or she will tell you what's what. Happy motoring!

srxycaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX4 PERFORMANCE (Mocha Steel Met. / Shale Brownstone)

I'm pretty sure overfilling your oil by just 1 quart can cause significant issues. I'm not even sure one could overfill by 4 or 5 quarts (not enough room for that volume).

Quote Originally Posted by srxycaddy
    I'm pretty sure overfilling your oil by just 1 quart can cause significant issues. I'm not even sure one could overfill by 4 or 5 quarts (not enough room for that volume).
    When you get a chance Google "overfilling engine oil".

I did just that and the general consensus is that if the oil is overfilled to the point where the rotating crankshaft comes in contact with oil, the crankshaft will aerate the oil as it spins. The oil pump now pushes oil and air through the engine decreasing it's cooling capabilities and the engine is starved of oil. The oil pressure drops off and you could risk damage to the rings and seals.

How much is too much? I'm not sure, every car varies, but 1 quart overfill is aprox. 15% overfill, 5 quarts is aprox 85% overfill and not likely to fit anyway.

Don't loose too much sleep over 1/4 quart overfull, but I wouldn't go a full quart. Best it to replace with the recommended amount of oil; not by how many quarts the manual recommends putting in, but by using the dipstick to make sure it's within the "full" mark.

Quote Originally Posted by srxycaddy
    I did just that and the general consensus is that if the oil is overfilled to the point where the rotating crankshaft comes in contact with oil, the crankshaft will aerate the oil as it spins. The oil pump now pushes oil and air through the engine decreasing it's cooling capabilities and the engine is starved of oil. The oil pressure drops off and you could risk damage to the rings and seals. How much is too much? I'm not sure, every car varies, but 1 quart overfill is aprox. 15% overfill, 5 quarts is aprox 85% overfill and not likely to fit anyway. Don't loose too much sleep over 1/4 quart overfull, but I wouldn't go a full quart. Best it to replace with the recommended amount of oil; not by how many quarts the manual recommends putting in, but by using the dipstick to make sure it's within the "full" mark.
    Relying on your dipstick in the SRX might not be a good idea, especially if you have the wrong one installed like some of us here. The one I have when full is about a quarter inch above the last hash mark, so when it is showing full it is really low. There is a thread. Maybe someone can post the link for you.

Oh... I wasn't aware of this issue. I'll have to research that thread. I learn something new every day, thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.