Oil consumption - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Oil consumption in Cadillac SRX Forums; Every dipstick on every car I've owned has 2 marks on it, "FULL" and "ADD", which are ~1 quart apart. ...
    JohnnyBzSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

Re: Oil consumption

Every dipstick on every car I've owned has 2 marks on it, "FULL" and "ADD", which are ~1 quart apart. After an oil/filter change where the engine was allowed to fully drain on level ground and the total amount of oil put back into the engine (including pre-filling the filter) is what the manufacture recommends for the engine, the oil level should be right AT the "FULL" mark (after starting the engine to allow oil to fully circulate, then allowed to drain back into the pan ~5 mins after shutting off the engine). If not, then the dipstick calibration is off and needs to be adjusted. It is not abnormal to be a quart down by the time the oil needs changing. If you burn/lose more than a quart between changes, then either you have leaks or are burning oil at a rate faster than the manufacturer allows.

If the OP lost/burned more than 3 quarts between changes, there is something wrong with his engine which probably also contributed to the chain stretch. In any case, its under warranty and repair should be sought from the dealership. However, considering they are attempting to blame the owner for allowing it to get 3+ quarts low between changes calls into question their integrity. If it were me, I'd search for another dealership.

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Wish the OP would give us an update.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium
    The 3.6 L DI engine has been notorious for burning oil. This is due to the high pressures involved with DI. The issue was hotly discussed on the CTS side of the forum when I had my '12 CTS. Cadillac was supposed to add an oil level warning to all vehicles for '13 vehicles. ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by srxycaddy
    Oh... I wasn't aware of this issue. I'll have to research that thread. I learn something new every day, thanks for the heads up.

There seems to be a problem searching the posts/threads that the webmaster(s) is/are working on.

GGMiv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX (Mocha Steel); 2008 SRX (Gold Mist)
    Oil burning and timing chain stretching are big topics in the Gen I forum. We had an '08 that used oil. Luckily we never had problems with the timing chain. I credit that forum with making me aware of the issue so that I regularly checked the oil and topped it off as necessary. Also, Received a letter from GM extending the warranty on the timing belt on that car.

Current '11 model we own has the 3.0 engine. It uses oil but not like the 3.6 in the '08.

Quote Originally Posted by '12CTSman View Post
    The 3.6 L DI engine has been notorious for burning oil. This is due to the high pressures involved with DI. The issue was hotly discussed on the CTS side of the forum when I had my '12 CTS. Cadillac was supposed to add an oil level warning to all vehicles for '13 vehicles. ----------

There seems to be a problem searching the posts/threads that the webmaster(s) is/are working on.
    I'd be very interested in learning more about this issue. Considering that the fuel injection system is seperate from the lubrication system, I can't see how DI has anything to do w/ oil consumption.

In any case, this is a good example of why it is important to become familiar with your car's idiosyncracies by checking oil levels frequently between the first few changes until a "normal" consumption pattern is determined. My '68 Cutlass (350-2bbl) w/ 117,000 miles has never leaked/burned more than a fraction of a quart between changes (barely detectable on the dipstick), while my '99 Dakota (5.9L) w/ ~72,000 miles routinely burned ~a pint between changes (half-way between FULL and ADD on the dipstick). Any deviation from that consumption pattern would alert me to something that has changed.

edit: Here's an interesting read on this issue:

http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/112013_06.pdf

and another that mentions higher oil pressures used in the 3.6L V6:

http://www.gmserviceinsights.com/wp-...-Dec_10_TC.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBzSRX
    The 3.6 L DI engine has been notorious for burning oil. This is due to the high pressures involved with DI. The issue was hotly discussed on the CTS side of the forum when I had my '12 CTS. Cadillac was supposed to add an oil level warning to all vehicles for '13 vehicles. ---------- There seems to be a problem searching the posts/threads that the webmaster(s) is/are working on.
    I'd be very interested in learning more about this issue. Considering that the fuel injection system is seperate from the lubrication system, I can't see how DI has anything to do w/ oil consumption. In any case, this is a good example of why it is important to become familiar with your car's idiosyncracies by checking oil levels frequently between the first few changes until a "normal" consumption pattern is determined. My '68 Cutlass (350-2bbl) w/ 117,000 miles has never leaked/burned more than a fraction of a quart between changes (barely detectable on the dipstick), while my '99 Dakota (5.9L) w/ ~72,000 miles routinely burned ~a pint between changes (half-way between FULL and ADD on the dipstick). Any deviation from that consumption pattern would alert me to something that has changed. edit: Here's an interesting read on this issue: http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/112013_06.pdf
    Huh? Everyone on the forum needs to really read the article. The article clearly states the Cadillac 3.6 L DI was/is using 1 quart every 2,000 miles. Most people have no idea how engines work. With DI the gasoline is sprayed directly into the cylinders. This causes higher operating temps and more strain on the engine. Gasoline and oil are burned together in the combustion process. People who say their engines don't use oil are delusional, but that doesn't stop thousands of so called knowledgeable owners to swear their vehicles burn/use no oil. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though no matter how misinformed. This argument will go on forever.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

I dont much care about the argument, but I have an entirely different reading of the article.
    First off, it says you cant lump all of the 3.6's together. If anything, it seems to me the author is going to great lengths to show how DIFFERENT the motors are, despite all being in the same family.
    But it doesnt say its using a quart every 2k miles. It says it CAN use AS MUCH AS a quart and "still be considered normal" and he doesnt even say which model this is in reference to. One could infer that it mainly applies to earlier models as thats what the sentence right before is talking about, setting the topic for the paragraph.
    Gasoline internal combustion engines are nothing but a pile of stress and strain. They produce power in the most violent way by expending heat. Sure there is oil consumption over time, and there's no excuse for not checking occasionally. Then again, I dont, so what does that say about me? :-) It seems to me the article goes on to point out all the factors and systems created to deal with this. Most of the older vehicles I had quit leaking only when they ran out.
    TheCaptain likes this.

Huh? Everyone on the forum needs to really read the article. The article clearly states the Cadillac 3.6 L DI was/is using 1 quart every 2,000 miles.
    It actually states that "earlier versions" of the 3.6L DI had oil consumption issues, but for the benefit of the doubt, since it is not clear that the LFX falls into that category, lets assume it does. Clearly, GM has their wires crossed if they consider 1 quart of oil loss every 2000 miles "normal" while at the same time instructing their customers to NOT change their oil until the OLM says to do so......... every 8000-12,000 miles and NOT warning them to frequently check oil levels and "top-off" between oil changes......... and then chastizing those same customers for allowing their oil to get 3 quarts down. This is a recipe for disaster IMO.

Most people have no idea how engines work. With DI the gasoline is sprayed directly into the cylinders. This causes higher operating temps and more strain on the engine.
    Actually, its not the DI that causes the higher operating temps, but rather the higher compression ratios using lower octane fuel allowed by DI that causes higher combustion temps and cylinder pressures. This does cause the pistons to run hotter, which are mitigated by the oil-spray on the skirts to keep piston temps in check. So yeah, it does put a higher thermal "load" on the engine oil by relying on the oil to conduct the heat away from the hotter pistons. However, using of oil for cooling the pistons should NOT result in this oil being burned and consumed. If it DOES result in higher rates of vaporization / consumption, then GM should be warning its customers to add a quart of oil every 2000 miles.

Gasoline and oil are burned together in the combustion process.
    True, only in the sense that oil that gets burned as part of the combustion process is a byproduct of imperfect piston ring sealing (a necessary evil for cylinder wall longevity).......as well as oil vapors re-cycled back into the intake charge by the PCV system. However, the vast majority of substance getting burned is fuel, not oil. Or at least it should be.

People who say their engines don't use oil are delusional, but that doesn't stop thousands of so called knowledgeable owners to swear their vehicles burn/use no oil. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though no matter how misinformed. This argument will go on forever.
    Did I say that my Cutlass uses no oil? NO. I'm stating fact, I've owned that car since '81 and have done every oil change on it since. Some engines use a quart between changes, some use much less (that is what "barely detectable on the dipstick" means). As I've stated above, any manufacturer that must rely on the customer to add oil between scheduled changes on a brand new, modern, "high feature", high tech engine in order to avoid costly repairs is asking for trouble. But then again, this is the same GM that ignored ignition switch issues for 10 years before fessing up to a recall, is it not?
    TheCaptain and SRXyz like this.

GGMiv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX (Mocha Steel); 2008 SRX (Gold Mist)
    Before owning a Gen I and a Gen II SRX we owned a Mercedes C240 and a Mercedes E350. Neither Mercedes ever used any oil between oil changes. And both had oil level monitors that took the place of dipsticks.

Oy vey ist mir!

davedogcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium (3.0L, FWD), 2008 CTS (3.6L DI, AWD)

my previous SRX (2005, 1st Gen), burned a bunch of oil between changes. I would always fill it to the 'FULL' mark on the dip stick. My father in law suggested running it between 'FULL' and 'ADD" instead.....what do ya know - it DRASTICALLY reduced oil consumption. Not sure why, but it worked!

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

Oil burning and internal wear like chain stretching is what happens when oil change cycles are stretched to the maximum. The oil monitor on our 2012 SRX would have oil changes set for 7 to 9 thousand miles. I love our SRX and it's been one of the best new cars I've ever owned. However some other Cadillacs I've owner were junk, like the diesel, the 8-6-4, the 4.1L that required a head gasket with every oil change, oh and don't forget the V6 in the full size DeVille which had no power and sucked oil. That said those same engineers said it's OK to not change oil at a reasonable interval like 4K miles. I've stayed with the 4K schedule and haven't used any oil or had other engine problems.
    Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.