Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Fog light options

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  TheCaptain 
#1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of using yellow fog light bulbs in the factory lenses; I don't like the mismatched white colors (HID headlights and halogen fogs). Reading through these forums it seems to be a bit of a hassle to do this so now I'm thinking of using a yellow film instead. Does anyone have experience with Lamin-X or other films? Any pics with the lights on and off? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If you are just looking for a whiter light, why don't you install some of the aftermarket halogen bulbs by Phillips, Sylvannia, etc. Another option would be to install HID's in the fogs. Relatively cheap and fairly easy to do. Lots of them on Ebay. I'd think yellow fog lights bulbs would render them useless for their intended purpose.

#4 ·
I've owned cars with yellow fogs and they do particularly well for their intended purpose......fog. The reason I ask about the film is because I don't want the hassle of trying to replace the factory bulbs with aftermarket blueish ones, which in my experience never seem to last long (Sylvania silverstars). HID for fog lights are never a good option, too much glare (although they do look nice).

#5 ·
Fog lights in the US are pretty much a novelty anyway. Most of this country never sees "real" fog. Fog lights cast a dim, low angle beam. They illuminate the road a short distance in front of the car, without causing light to reflect off of heavy fog and into your eyes (which would make the fog even harder to see through).

Put brighter bulbs in the fog assemblies, and you light the road in front of the car more. Go too far (HIDs), and you just blind other drivers. If you want light that helps you see better in normal driving, you need driving lights (far reaching, focused beam), not fogs.

Put whatever color bulb/lens cover you want on the fogs, and don't worry about their output or what's best for fog.

#7 ·
I agree georule, not to mention they also help spot pot holes along the edges of the lanes (they create a shadow). Having lived in Europe for some years I've grown to like the look of yellow fogs and the little bit of extra visibility doesn't hurt.

If I don't want the hassle of replacing the bulbs I certainly don't want to replace the entire fog light assembly for driving lights (not to mention the cost). Just trying to change the look a bit and possibly help with foul weather driving. Any comments on the actual film performance? Thanks.

#8 ·

Nokya 7000K Stage 2 H10 Halogen bulbs.
Very close to the Philips 6000K HID D2S headlights and 6000K LED Foglight surrounds.

#10 ·
Bump. Update on Nokya Stage 2 H10 fog light bulbs. Made it the better part of 13 months, foglights only on at night. Total KMs before selling: 39 000
Verdict: Not pleased with these Nokya Stage 2 bulbs.

Happy my ATS has factory LED "fog lights" & drl's.

#12 ·
Just replaced Stock bulbs with HID 6000k 55W from Retro-solutions. I have used them for my other truck, Quality components. Had 1 Ballast fail, Covered under warrantee.

Very easy swap.

1. Turn Wheel to far right.
2. Remove 4 Screws holding Plastic well in place.
3. Hold Plastic well out of the way.
4. Disconnect wire from stock bulb.
5. Add some Dielectric (supplied in kit) grease to connector, and all connectors on new bulb wiring.
6. Clean interior side of bumper, clean back of HID Ballast, apply double sided tape to ballast.
7. Remove Rubber grommet from HID bulb wire if it has it, not needed for SRX.
8. Connect bulb to Ballast ( 2 clip wires), Connect ballast to Factory plug. Note: test light before you make it final, if bulb does not light, flip stock wire on ballast.
9. Remove Tape cover and apply ballast to inside of bumper.
10. Remove STOCK bulb, make note of 3 ends that hold bulb in socket, it will be easier to re-install new HID.
11. Install new HID. Do not touch bulb glass when you remove it from packing case. ( You may have to push in firmly to get it to seat in stock location since it is a new rubber gasket on HID.) This is the hardest part!
12. Fold over extra wire, secure with supplied wire tie.
13. Test again, re-install 4 screws and your done. :cool:

Repeat Right side. If you have never done this, 15 to 20 Min MAX per side.
6000K bulbs are amazing, super bright! Looking at car head on 20' away, HID's are about 30% brighter than Headlights. :cool:

#13 ·
6000K bulbs are amazing, super bright! Looking at car head on 20' away, HID's are about 30% brighter than Headlights. :cool:
HID's are 3x brighter than equivalent halogens. Also, your HIDs are in an open casing, so light is being shot out all over the place, creating glare. The low beams are in projector housings, so light is focused from being unused (shone out and up) back towards the ground, with a cutoff beam that helps to keep light out of other drivers' eyes.

Good to see it was an easy swap for you!

#14 ·
Nice Ride said:
Just replaced Stock bulbs with HID 6000k 55W from Retro-solutions.

Thanks for all the information. I am driving a 2012 SRX Premium. Am I right that the bulb type is a 9145? Do I need the wiring harness that Retro-Solutions offers? Any trouble with the CAN-BUS system, like needing resistors? Should I get the bulb capping to reduce glare? Lotta questions, but the Retro-Solutions web site poses as many questions as it answers. I'm sure they could offer the answers, but I'd like to hear from an actual owner who has been through the installation.

Thanks,
Ken

#15 ·
9145 = H10 Bulbs. A wiring harness? As in a relay to tie it to the battery? No. Also CAN BUS is not necessary for our fog lights.

The bulb capping could help out, but I don't know if the orientation of the cap on the bulb and the bulb in the vehicle will be the same.

#16 ·
Simple Plug and Play if you follow my directions or the notes posted in the forum. Cap, how do I post photos? I have some of the installation. The KIT (Packaged very well) has an extra 2 wires and a rubber grommet installed on the Bulb cable. Remove the 2 Extra Wires they are not needed, I cut the rubber grommet off. Just plug an play with the remaining 2 wires. I did not get the bulb capping done on mine. I have the 5K on my Escalade, I have to say I like the 6K much better, not too blue, just right. The 5K are pure white, but I like the look of a bit of blue.

#17 ·
You can use the Image button to source directly from your drive (or a site) in the post tools (above this box), or you can host to a photo site, then link images from there to here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.