How I came to own a Caddy and my thoughts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, How I came to own a Caddy and my thoughts in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello all, I'm the proud owner of a "new to me" 2012 SRX4 (and by "me" and "owner" I'm referring ...
    srxycaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX4 PERFORMANCE (Mocha Steel Met. / Shale Brownstone)

Cool How I came to own a Caddy and my thoughts

Hello all,

I'm the proud owner of a "new to me" 2012 SRX4 (and by "me" and "owner" I'm referring to my wife)
    We've owned this car now for 3 months and absolutely love it. This is our story:

My wife and I were in the market for a new crossover to replace her 10 yr. old Saturn Vue (don't laugh.... it was great to us, and quite lively with the 3.5L 250 hp Honda engine). Much like the Jefferson's we were "moving on up". We budgeted $30K (in my mind) to $35K (in hers). We looked at the Mazda CX-5 ($31K), Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo ($34K), Ford Edge ($35K for a midlevel, these things can get PRICEY loaded), and a used 2013 Acura RDX ($34K these things hold their value, better to buy new if in the budget).

I liked the power of my wife's old Saturn but I was willing to compromise and get the Mazda for it's lower price, better mpg and great handling. My wife wanted "better". She recently received a much deserved promotion and I wanted more "power" so she didn't have to push to hard. The Santa Fe looked good but I wasn't too impressed with the drive or the power (although significantly better than the Mazda). The Ford was ... well... "nice" (but "nice" never wins, does it?). It would have been better fully loaded, but way too pricey. The Acura was powerful but kind of bland and not a good used value; too pricey new.

Suddenly, my father-in-law's eyesight took a turn for the worse and he decided to "hang up his keys". He had purchased a certified 2011 CTS4 Luxury 6 months ago and offered us to take over the payments and keep the car; we agreed. A month later we took it in for some work and found out it had been in a "moderate to severe collision" and some repairs were not performed properly. This car was purchased "Certified" so I thought we'd visit the dealer that sold it and see if something could be "worked out"

I never really thought of myself as a Cadillac guy. The thoughts of my in-law's '99 Deville kept floating through my head when driving the CTS. It had decent power and a nice ride (firm AND compliant) but it was a base model and lacked any features whatsoever. My wife was shocked at the lack of heated seats (her 2004 Saturn had them). I had read up on the SRX and thought that IF they would take back the CTS for a full refund/exchange of monthly payments and down payment, and IF they had a low mileage 2012 SRX4 (the 3.6L engine was a must) in a color we liked, and IF we could agree on a reduced price for the first "flopped sale" ...... maybe we could work something out. Then I saw it..... it was AWESOME!!! It had it all, beautiful Mocha Steel w/ Shale/Brownstone and just over 20K miles. I had to have it.... I mean WE (I) had to have it!

6 hours later, lots of coffee, and lots of wearing them down and here we are! WHAT A CAR!!! So many things we like but these stand out:

-3 words describe the exterior: SEXY, SEXY, SEXY. Nuff said.
    -The stitched leather interior (particularly the dash) and wood trim is top notch (I've been in many Benzes, Audis and Acuras). Although I like the looks of the 2013 Cue layout, the functionality doesn't convince me and the gauges took a turn for the worse. The LED embedded lights that run across the dash and top side of all 4 doors looks amazing at night.
    -Ride and handling compromise is Awesome! Good power and it can take highway ramps with a solid, planted feel. On par with my sister-in-law's Q5 feel but with less body roll.
    -Heated steering wheel seemed silly; not so! Loved it this cold, cold winter.
    -Did I already mention the looks? SEEEEEXY!

Dislikes are few:

-Although generously sized on the outside, only so-so on the inside. It's plenty wide but the legroom is only OK as is the trunk space.
    -Although the drive feels planted and agile at speeds, the sightlines are pretty bad and it feels a little cumbersome in parking lots. The width and poor visibility hamper it in tight quarters. Oh well, it hurts to look this good!
    -The transmission's programing could be improved. Eco mode delays downshifts, and then holds on to the revs forever before slurring the upshifts (not very smoothly). Standard mode is best for everyday driving but still seems to be confused on what it's trying to do. Sport mode is only good when hard on the throttle (7/10ths or better). It bangs the gears hard and decisively (in a good way). Driven at 6/10ths or less and it just comes across as rough and crude.

Overall we love it and I look forward to learning more from the good folks at this forum.
    ladypro, Maxplot and georule like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Re: How I came to own a Caddy and my thoughts

I'm firmly of the opinion that the heated steering wheel is the most underrated feature. It sounds okay in theory, but certainly not a reason to buy one car over another. . . but in practice it is great and I will never buy another car without one!

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Sounds great.
    You failed to post a picture
    Good to read.

Likely is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Collection FWD

srxycaddy!!!! Welcome to the forum..Enjoy your new ride!!!!

Tup
    Tup is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

Similar story with us. You mention don't laugh about a Saturn Vue... we had a Subaru Tribeca for 8 years. Great underrated vehicle btw. So we found a great deal on a 2013 SRX4 which had 13k on it... had been a rental car. Great shape, no dings or dents..great interior. So we jumped on it... very happy with it. I agree that the heated steering wheel is a great feature.

Thank you guys.

You're right about the pics Amunderdog. I'll clean her up this weekend and figure out how to post them.

Hey Tup, I agree, Subies are tough as nails. A few years ago I was looking at the Forrester (XT of course). At the time we decided the timing wasn't right for a new payment so we waited......... I think it worked out pretty well.

Well it doesn't seem that mother nature will be cooperating with me this weekend so this is the best I can do. Even wet and cold she's gorgeous!

photo 4.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    georule likes this.

packardv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD

the sightlines are pretty bad
    Agree completely. The combination of the girder-thick A-pillers and the huge black spot in the center caused by the mirror and rain sensor, make this the worst outward visibility of any of the forty or so vehicles I've owned over the past fifty years.

jack vines

My wife's previous car was a Saturn Vue with similar A pillars (they basically share the same chassis) but the visibility to the back and sides was much better. It was of course a box on wheels and not the SEXY shape of my (our) new baby. What bugs me the most is backing into spots; thank God for the rear view camera, otherwise you would be backing up pretty much blind.

I knew this going in, but my wife and I REALLY liked the look of the SRX. Because my wife only lets me drive it on the weekends it's taking me a little longer to get used to it....... DARN, I guess I'll have to get more wheel time till I get used to it. I told my wife it may take a loooong time, but safety comes first.

jrose7004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Luxury

Congrats on getting a SRX.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

The Vue and the SRX is not the same platform. One dead giveaway you can see immediately is Vue had five lug wheels, SRX is six. The only platform the SRX shares was the Saab 94x. Theta Premium is the name of the SRX platform.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    HDI0390 likes this.

Actually although not exactly the same they are very similar. The Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain are all Theta platforms (small and midsize crossover). The Cadillac SRX is a Theta Premium (AKA Theta-Epsilon) because it combines elements of Theta and Epsilon II platforms (larger crossovers). Check out the shape of the A pillars and where said pillars meet the fenders and you'll see the likeness.

Lug nuts have nothing to do with it. Different axles/hubs make for more lug nuts, not the platform.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

It's not great sightlines, but the blind-spot indicator in the mirrors really helps with Luxury and up. Very accurate I've found. It also helps to be tall as having the seat all the way back when you turn over your shoulder will let you see past the pillar, I find. My wife is not so lucky that way.

I wish the 2012's had blind-spot indicators, or even better yet multi radius mirrors (convex outer edge, and not the stick-on type). For the most part I can deal with slight mirror adjustments.

What's taking me a little more time to get used to is over the shoulder to the rear sides when backing into a parking spot. Not straight back (the camera is great) but when going past a pull in spot and then backing into it at a 90* angle.

I'm sure I'll get used to it; I just need some more wheel time (that's what I tell my wife anyway).

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Quote Originally Posted by srxycaddy View Post
    Actually although not exactly the same they are very similar. The Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain are all Theta platforms (small and midsize crossover). The Cadillac SRX is a Theta Premium (AKA Theta-Epsilon) because it combines elements of Theta and Epsilon II platforms (larger crossovers). Check out the shape of the A pillars and where said pillars meet the fenders and you'll see the likeness.

Lug nuts have nothing to do with it. Different axles/hubs make for more lug nuts, not the platform.
    Well, the Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT share a platform, and they look nothing alike. They don't share one single body component. But underneath, they are the same. I don't care if the A pillars look the same, they are not the same platform.

The chassis of Theta platforms and the SRX is totally different. Lug nuts and suspension is just one example of how they are totally different. The SRX uses a Haldex AWD system. The Equinox and Terrain do not. The struts are different parts. The list goes on and on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.