Cadillac Worst Luxury Car Company According to Consumer Reports!? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Cadillac Worst Luxury Car Company According to Consumer Reports!? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Originally Posted by Tup Originally Posted by '12CTSman I had a '10 MDX; one of the best vehicles I've ever ...
    '12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tup
    Quote Originally Posted by '12CTSman View Post
    I had a '10 MDX; one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I am quite familiar with the MDX forums and the jokers there. There is always going to be a few who piss and moan about everything. I've read the comments about the 3rd Gen MDX, and sure enough the jokers are still there, so I take their comments with a grain of salt. I've also owned a '04 TL, a '06 RL, '08 RDX, '10 RDX, and an '11 ZDX; all bulletproof and as reliable as they come. I have no trepidation of buying another Acura, but thanks for the heads up.
    We considered the MDX and took one on a test drive. It seemed nice but research caused me some concern. From what I have read, the production of the MDX has moved to a different factory and the quality control has been lacking in some cases. There are Some posters who are past MDX owners who regret trading since their new vehicle has more annoyances... rubber trim needing replacing, very poor heater performance etc. I know there was a recall over loose or missing bolts on the engine fan vehicles produced during a certain period. I think newer units may have improved things and I know people complaining are not the majority but it seems to be more problem prone than previous generations. The rust so soon is cause for concern. http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-new-...or-handle.html
    The AL plant where the MDX is assembled now has built Honda products for years. The door handle problem seems to be a supplier issue with the rust. As far as quality control, Alabama is not Canada, which seems to produce better vehicles regardless of the brand. The SRX is assembled in Mexico. Vehicles assembled in Japan seem to have the best build quality, but there are exceptions despite where a vehicle is assembled. BTW, a bit of rust or loose moulding has never killed anyone unlike the GM ignition switches.

ronpasquale is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance

Re: Cadillac Worst Luxury Car Company According to Consumer Reports!?

That last comment about the ignition switches problem could only be relevant to this forum if you are thinking of trading in your SRX for something more affordable, like maybe a used Cobalt.

Quote Originally Posted by ronpasquale
    That last comment about the ignition switches problem could only be relevant to this forum if you are thinking of trading in your SRX for something more affordable, like maybe a used Cobalt.
    The Cobalt is not half bad, but I'll pass. My sister-in law had one. I had several Ford vehicles that had the same problem with the ignition switches, but that was 30 some years ago and Ford and the US government didn't do anything. Back in the day most GM cars could be started and stopped without the use of the key in the ignition switch. Those were also the days most car companies only used a dozen or so lock cylinders, so going joyriding was pretty easy if you had a set of mechanic's keys.

My point about the recent ignition switch problem was perhaps a bit much, but people who go ballistic about a tiny rust spot need to see the big picture of how the love of money and power lead to serious issues that hurt and kill people, and not just in the car industry. I feel sorry for the 6 people who have died needlessly. GM will pay the families handsomely and already money hungry personal injury (ambulance chasers) lawyers will be having a field day filing tortes against GM for years to come, and so it goes.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

Well, fair or not, if this prods Cadillac to improve CUE, I'm all fine with that.

Tup
    Tup is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

The AL plant where the MDX is assembled now has built Honda products for years. The door handle problem seems to be a supplier issue with the rust. As far as quality control, Alabama is not Canada, which seems to produce better vehicles regardless of the brand. The SRX is assembled in Mexico. Vehicles assembled in Japan seem to have the best build quality, but there are exceptions despite where a vehicle is assembled. BTW, a bit of rust or loose moulding has never killed anyone unlike the GM ignition switches.
    The recall of 20000 2014 MDX's with loose or missing bolts on a transmission propeller?? was listed as potentially causing an accident. Also, other companies have had problems. Toyota is up against several wrongful death suits and has lost some already. I think domestic and Korean brands are improving and some other Asian brands have slipped somewhat but you really need to look at each individual vehicle and not just the brand. Generally speaking, a domestic brand will depreciate more than some others such as Lexus but a Lexus might be a bit bland. Despite the seemingly poorer initial showing of the 2014 MDX, it will probably hold it's value pretty well. If you do intend to go with an MDX make sure you do a significant test drive.

I just looked up on Edmunds the 5-year depreciation on my SRX. They are saying my SRX will be worth around $25K. That is not a reassuring number, but I knew it was going to be bad.

ep_83 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black Raven 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

I had a '10 MDX; one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I am quite familiar with the MDX forums and the jokers there. There is always going to be a few who piss and moan about everything. I've read the comments about the 3rd Gen MDX, and sure enough the jokers are still there, so I take their comments with a grain of salt. I've also owned a '04 TL, a '06 RL, '08 RDX, '10 RDX, and an '11 ZDX; all bulletproof and as reliable as they come. I have no trepidation of buying another Acura, but thanks for the heads up.

If I'm reading this right, your '08 RDX replaced your '04 TL. Your '10 RDX replaced your '06 RL. And your '11 ZDX replaced your '08 RDX.. If you're buying cars every 3 or 4 years, why don't you just lease? I completely agree on Honda/Acura reliabilty.. Between my wife and I, we've had two Hondas and two Acuras and they were great. However, if you're leasing and get a great lease rate (which Caddy has) you don't have to worry about reliability and depreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by ep_83 View Post
    If I'm reading this right, your '08 RDX replaced your '04 TL. Your '10 RDX replaced your '06 RL. And your '11 ZDX replaced your '08 RDX.. If you're buying cars every 3 or 4 years, why don't you just lease? I completely agree on Honda/Acura reliabilty.. Between my wife and I, we've had two Hondas and two Acuras and they were great. However, if you're leasing and get a great lease rate (which Caddy has) you don't have to worry about reliability and depreciation.
    I've leased a couple of cars including the '06 RL, but not for me since I trade every year or so now, but 6 months is the record. The order of the Acuras is as stated. I traded the ZDX for my '12 CTS and traded the CTS for the '13 Taurus SHO and the SHO for my current SRX. That's 9 vehicles if you are doing math since December 2003. I am truly addicted to cars and have had a car payment every month since 1970.

Movinon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Performance

I don't get Consumer Reports, what are they stating about the SRX that puts it at the bottom of the list?
    I started off looking at the Q5 and the X3 but the wife liked the SRX better and she is the one that will mostly drive it. I've driven it several times and think it does everything well.

I've leased a couple of cars including the '06 RL, but not for me since I trade every year or so now, but 6 months is the record. The order of the Acuras is as stated. I traded the ZDX for my '12 CTS and traded the CTS for the '13 Taurus SHO and the SHO for my current SRX. That's 9 vehicles if you are doing math since December 2003. I am truly addicted to cars and have had a car payment every month since 1970.
    I've seen people on various car forums who trade in cars every year. Do you just keep eating the negative equity? I'm asking because I'd love to be able to do this but I feel like I'd get killed on the negative equity.

Quote Originally Posted by ep_83
    I've seen people on various car forums who trade in cars every year. Do you just keep eating the negative equity? I'm asking because I'd love to be able to do this but I feel like I'd get killed on the negative equity.
    You answered your own question about equity, but the missed the point that my monthly car payment is the price of my addiction. If you asked any car salesperson you would be surprised how many people trade cars frequently. To avoid the negative equity you need to buy a used car the dealer has the least invested in. That is why you can sometimes see identical cars selling for thousands of dollars difference. I bought my '12 CTS Premium with 6,000 miles that had a MSRP of $50K for $41K. The dealer had an identical loaded CTS with 14,000 miles selling for $45K. You have to remember that the car business is about making money; nothing more or nothing less. Also, you are much better off selling your car yourself. It may be a hassle, but you will make thousands more to use on your next vehicle. Generally, you can have a "new" car every year if you do your research (lots of research) and are willing to have a payment every month.

You answered your own question about equity, but the missed the point that my monthly car payment is the price of my addiction. If you asked any car salesperson you would be surprised how many people trade cars frequently. To avoid the negative equity you need to buy a used car the dealer has the least invested in. That is why you can sometimes see identical cars selling for thousands of dollars difference. I bought my '12 CTS Premium with 6,000 miles that had a MSRP of $50K for $41K. The dealer had an identical loaded CTS with 14,000 miles selling for $45K. You have to remember that the car business is about making money; nothing more or nothing less. Also, you are much better off selling your car yourself. It may be a hassle, but you will make thousands more to use on your next vehicle. Generally, you can have a "new" car every year if you do your research (lots of research) and are willing to have a payment every month.

The monthly payment doesn't bother me (I lease). I lease because I like the idea of having a new car every 3 years, but to be honest having a new car every year sounds even better. I'm going to look into this. Thanks for the tips!

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

I find that paying cash for the vehicle is the way to go. Then, every month instead of making a car payment, put the same amount of money you'd be making on the car payment into savings. When you're ready to buy your next car, you will most likely have enough to pay cash for it too assuming you sell your own vehicle instead of trading it in. The key is being disciplined enough to pay yourself first. Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375
    I find that paying cash for the vehicle is the way to go. Then, every month instead of making a car payment, put the same amount of money you'd be making on the car payment into savings. When you're ready to buy your next car, you will most likely have enough to pay cash for it too assuming you sell your own vehicle instead of trading it in. The key is being disciplined enough to pay yourself first. Works for me!
    Cash? That I have very little of. If I had cash I would buy a Bentley. I use free money aka 0% or no more than .9% interest loans nowadays. However, that requires an excellent credit rating. I am always told by the money persons at the car dealers that I have one of the highest credit ratings they have ever seen. When I tell them I've had a car loan for x number of years and pay my bills on time they understand, but they also know I know how to play the finance game, which takes money out of their pocket and off my loan amount. As I've said before, the money persons, if they are not related to the owner(s), they are the best salespersons in the dealership and make tens of thousands of dollars, and in many cases hundreds of thousands of extra profit for the dealership by selling extended warranties, tire and wheel packages, interior and exterior accessories, and the standard packs like fabric and paint treatments, window etching, and some are still selling the granddaddy of all packs--undercoating, believe it or not!

MI-SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare

Quote Originally Posted by Movinon View Post
    I don't get Consumer Reports, what are they stating about the SRX that puts it at the bottom of the list?
    Not the SRX specifically, Cadillac in general. The single biggest factor is they don't like the CUE system (or Ford's MyFordTouch, or Lincoln's MyLincolnTouch) and downgraded because of that. They cite consumer complaints as the reason but, IMO, those complaints come from people who are either: 1) technophobes or 2) don't want to spend the time getting up to speed on the user interface or 3) don't want to change from buttons and dials. Their own opinions based on a couple hours, or even days, of evaluation are not going to be positive for much the same reason - the learning curve.

I've been a subscriber of CR for more years than I care to admit and find that to be the one area where their reviews are lacking. If something (ie. CUE) takes time to learn it tends to get a thumbs down. (I've seen them lower the rating for smart TVs and smart DVD players for the same reason, they didn't like the user interface.)

For the most part the rating of the SRX is average to good on the non-subjective things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.