Body computer loses communication with engine computer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stevec5375
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Body computer loses communication with engine computer in Cadillac SRX Forums; In May of 2012, I was cruising along about 70mph in my 2012 Premium SRX near Dayton, OH. Suddenly there ...
    Kmohler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Body computer loses communication with engine computer

In May of 2012, I was cruising along about 70mph in my 2012 Premium SRX near Dayton, OH. Suddenly there was a loud noise, the DIC said to service headlights, my head was banged against the headrest and the car shifted to 4th gear and wouldn't shift to any other. A number of other warning light were on. I limped to my nearby motel and called OnStar. OnStar did a diagnostic check and reported the problem in the subject line. To shorten the story, my car was towed to a local dealer late at night. The next morning the service writer called to say that three people had driven the car and found nothing wrong. I picked up the car and couldn't find anything wrong either. Needless to say, I drove with a lot of anxiety for a while, but all was well. Fast forward to last week. Driving on I-35 south of Dallas when the same thing happened again. Having learned a thing or two from the last experience, I pulled off the road (in 4th gear) and shut down. I waited a minute or so and restarted (essentially rebooting) and all was fine except the check engine light was on. I drove on and eventually it went out. Now obviously I will be talking to my dealer in Kansas City (Colin Franklin). What should I say to them? What can they do about this very intermittent but very serious malfunction? Cadillac forum watchers feel free to jump in here.

Anxious in Texas
    Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

adamjeeps is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

Re: Body computer loses communication with engine computer

Next time call Onstar with the vehicle still running and driving and maybe they can provide more information. All the dealer is going to do is hook up to their computer and look for codes. Maybe you will get lucky and they will have had another SRX with this same problem.

Kmohler is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

I did, that first time. All the information I got was the break in communications and the advice that if it wasn't causing any problems, no action was necessary. It seemed to be causing problems - even if they went away. The dealer got no codes the next morning. Not even the one that OnStar got.

Ken

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

I thought these vehicles had black boxes in them with some history of what happened.
    allgm likes this.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

A black box only lasts 30 seconds to a minute. From what I understand of vehicle black boxes.
    Some controversy about 'big brother' or something... (and don't start any of that in here. That's what the lounge is for)
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

'12CTSman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 SRX AWD Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmohler
    In May of 2012, I was cruising along about 70mph in my 2012 Premium SRX near Dayton, OH. Suddenly there was a loud noise, the DIC said to service headlights, my head was banged against the headrest and the car shifted to 4th gear and wouldn't shift to any other. A number of other warning light were on. I limped to my nearby motel and called OnStar. OnStar did a diagnostic check and reported the problem in the subject line. To shorten the story, my car was towed to a local dealer late at night. The next morning the service writer called to say that three people had driven the car and found nothing wrong. I picked up the car and couldn't find anything wrong either. Needless to say, I drove with a lot of anxiety for a while, but all was well. Fast forward to last week. Driving on I-35 south of Dallas when the same thing happened again. Having learned a thing or two from the last experience, I pulled off the road (in 4th gear) and shut down. I waited a minute or so and restarted (essentially rebooting) and all was fine except the check engine light was on. I drove on and eventually it went out. Now obviously I will be talking to my dealer in Kansas City (Colin Franklin). What should I say to them? What can they do about this very intermittent but very serious malfunction? Cadillac forum watchers feel free to jump in here. Anxious in Texas Ken
    Wow, that is really scary. I would not have driven the SRX after the second occurrence until Cadillac figured out what was what.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Kmohler View Post
    In May of 2012, I was cruising along about 70mph in my 2012 Premium SRX near Dayton, OH. Suddenly there was a loud noise, the DIC said to service headlights, my head was banged against the headrest and the car shifted to 4th gear and wouldn't shift to any other. A number of other warning light were on. I limped to my nearby motel and called OnStar. OnStar did a diagnostic check and reported the problem in the subject line. To shorten the story, my car was towed to a local dealer late at night. The next morning the service writer called to say that three people had driven the car and found nothing wrong. I picked up the car and couldn't find anything wrong either. Needless to say, I drove with a lot of anxiety for a while, but all was well. Fast forward to last week. Driving on I-35 south of Dallas when the same thing happened again. Having learned a thing or two from the last experience, I pulled off the road (in 4th gear) and shut down. I waited a minute or so and restarted (essentially rebooting) and all was fine except the check engine light was on. I drove on and eventually it went out. Now obviously I will be talking to my dealer in Kansas City (Colin Franklin). What should I say to them? What can they do about this very intermittent but very serious malfunction? Cadillac forum watchers feel free to jump in here.

Anxious in Texas
    Ken
    Hello Ken,

I am very sorry to hear that you have experienced this concern with your SRX recently. I am glad to hear that you were safe both times this happened to you. I would be more than happy to assist you in working with the dealership regarding your concern. Could you private message me with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership that you will be working with so I can contact them further about this? Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.