rearroof spoiler acts like vacuum cleaner
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By allgm
  • 1 Post By JohnnyBzSRX
  • 2 Post By b4z
  • 2 Post By TheCaptain
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, rearroof spoiler acts like vacuum cleaner in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    Movinon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Performance

rearroof spoiler acts like vacuum cleaner

I have no real complaints with my 2014 Performance, except for a minor complaint concerning the rear roof spoiler. Every time we drive the SRX it sucks grit off the road onto the rear of the vehicle.
    I traded in a Santé Fe and before that I had back to back Jeep GC ltd's. Those vehiclesdid not suck up any noticeable grit from the road, unless the roads were wet.
    I think the reason I notice this is because my SRX is so dark in color.
    Does anyone else notice this or am I being to particular.
    Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I doubt it has anything to do with the spoiler, specifically.

jrose7004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Luxury

Re: rearroof spoiler acts like vacuum cleaner

I haven't noticed it being particularly bad.

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

That is the nature of all station wagons and suv's. Seems to be a vacuum back there. My 1965 Chevy Impala Station Wagon did the same thing.
    No spoiler there.
    TheCaptain and stevec5375 like this.

efparri is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac SRX

That is why one should not drive long distances with either the tailgate open or the rear window open because exhaust fumes enter the vehicle that way.

JohnnyBzSRX is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX FWD Performance - Xenon Blue / Shale-Brownstone

I too noticed that at even 40-50 MPH, the "cloud" from the exhaust on a cold day seems to stay in a pocket of air that follows the car down the road, I can see it out the rear window (which is quite a ways above the exhaust outlets). So it would make sense that any spray going over/under/around the vehicle would also get caught by this pocket of air and find it way to stick to the back. However, I don't think the roof "spoiler" causes it (although it probably doesn't help either), all vehicles with large vertical rear ends will do this as it creates a vacuum behind the vehicle. Some of the old-school station wagons from the '70s would have an "inverted spoiler" along the top of the back of the vehicle to catch some of the airflow comming off the roof and divert it downward across the back to reduce this effect.
    stevec5375 likes this.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Modern wagon style vehicles are designed to have the air running over the vehicle smoothly come back together as far behind the vehicle as it can. It creates less turbulence and less drag from vacuum. That is why the flat spoiler on the roof/tailgate extends past the sloped rear glass area. And why the tahoe/Denali/escalade hybrids had a longer roof spoiler than the regular gmt900s. The hybrids had ridiculously low cd number for their size Something like .339. And the 2014 k2xx SUVs have adopted the longer roof spoiler as well.

A different example would be my 1987 IROCz Camaro. I had leak in my power steering fluid for many years. It seems like most of the fluid leaking ended up on my rear bumper and taillights. It's not the spoiler causing the issue with your srx, it's the air rushing under it and swirling back up.
    allgm and TheCaptain like this.

georule is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury AWD Silver Coast Metallic

My complaint about the spoiler is it makes it difficult to clean the top couple inches of the rear window. Most of the brushes/squeegees and such used for that purpose don't fit. Tho I have also noticed that under hard acceleration in cold weather, you lose visibility out the back due to the exhaust cloud hovering over the back of the vehicle until you let off the acceleration --this is a little concerning for merging into high-speed traffic from a stop at an intersection. Dunno if that's the spoiler doing that.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

That's not the spoiler, that is like b4z said, the whole back of the car is a low pressure zone, so that's where diffused air (from under the vehicle) recirculates until it rejoins the air from above the vehicle. It happens on any vehicle with exhaust exiting the rear (or near the rear) and is most noticable when that rear window is at the back of the vehicle.

Don't worry, it only happens for six months of the year here on vehicles in Saskatchewan. We can deal with it, so can you. (It's called side mirrors)
    Marc NY and georule like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Doctor J is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Yes, My 2013 does the same thing the back window gets dirty very easy in the rain and snow. I also wish the would make roof rails optional as they contribute to wind noise in the cabin of the SRX. I like the cabin of any vehicle to be made quiet as possible. Those things do not help .

BoCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
    Yes, My 2013 does the same thing the back window gets dirty very easy in the rain and snow. I also wish the would make roof rails optional as they contribute to wind noise in the cabin of the SRX. I like the cabin of any vehicle to be made quiet as possible. Those things do not help .
    I installed roof rails and don't notice added noise. Try changing the distance between them. If no luck then you can remove them. I plan to remove mine during summer.

Movinon is offline Cadillac Owners Member

On my Jeep GC's I found out that if you push both rails all the way aft it eliminated the wind noise.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

I think doctor J is referring to the roof side rails...
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.